Obesity in Dogs? An Article by Robert Abady

• Gold Top Dog

cc431

It is a scientific fact ......

Based on these incontestable scientific facts, .....

Mr. Abady,

Which scientific studies provided you with these facts? All good scientific articles I have ever read usually provide sources to back up the claims within the document. Without backing data your statements appear as merely opinions.

Thanks.

BD

• Gold Top Dog

Charlie, that is the funniest thing I have ever read on this forum.  Thanks for the laugh.

Does Abady have any more "scientific" articles you can share?

• Gold Top Dog

Maybe I should read this article to Cheza. She ripped a hole in the cat food bag last night and gorged on it before we caught her.

This article was funny! I assume it was a joke?

• Gold Top Dog

SalemsMom

Pretty much anything that Abady writes/says is a joke.  IMO

• Gold Top Dog

BEVOLASVEGAS

SalemsMom

Pretty much anything that Abady writes/says is a joke.  IMO

I did actually laugh out loud while I read that. 

• Gold Top Dog

probe1957
    Charlie, that is the funniest thing I have ever read on this forum.  Thanks for the laugh.

Does Abady have any more "scientific" articles you can share?

Well, I am very happy I seemed to yet again supplied everyone with very good laugh.   This thread is actually a branch from the other because I left there with some things still on the table in regards to the calorie issue.  I won't be returning to that thread yet hate to leave the unfinished on the table.

I realize it is a tough concept to grasp.  It goes against the grain of what most all have of you have come to witness through your experience.  I do understand why though and can't fault anyone for thinking as you all do for it comes through what you have witnessed.  I have told you in the past, I have found what Mr. Abady writes is all true, but then again it would really only relate to properly structured diets and that is why it works.  So, when you see the "lard-laden land shark" come rolling down the sidewalk, you shouldn't be thinking there is a problem with the obvious too many cals and not enough exercise.  The first thing you should be thinking of that dog is eating an improperly structured diet.  Mr. and Miss. Annamaet, EVO, TWO, and to all you other employees and owners of dog food companies, riddle me this and give it some thought:  How many lard-laden land sharks do you see running around out there in the wild, in nature?  Could it possibly be they are all lean and trim because they don't know how to hunt?  Or, could it possible be they all look good and like they should because they are eating properly structured diets found in nature?  hmmmmm?  OK, if that is not enough, then consider this.  Some don't like this concept and I can understand why from the monitoring aspect, but I am very much a free-feeder.  My food for my dogs is available 24/7.  You have seen the analysis from the other thread and know it is calorie dense at around 800 calories per cup (classic granular).  So if food is available 24/7 and it is what most consider high calorie then how come my dog is not as fat as the house?  Any thoughts on that concept?  Could it possibly because she has been eating a properly structured diet most all her life plays a factor?

Billy, yes there are more articles for you to laugh at, the Abady website, the Singapore ones where I linked above, and Pinnacle Pet Supply in Manitoba also has some articles.  That is about all that I know of...I also recall some good entertaining reading a the Alpha Nutrition website.

The following is a picture of my dog who is free-fed (food available 24/7 and 800 cals per cup).  She is on rock solid point and this was taken I think 01-12-08, the last day of our state sm. game hunting season here in Connecticut: http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/Claybuster_AA/Zoe/zoehunt08A.jpg

• Gold Top Dog

cc431

So if food is available 24/7 and it is what most consider high calorie then how come my dog is not as fat as the house?  Any thoughts on that concept?  Could it possibly because she has been eating a properly structured diet most all her life plays a factor?

My thoughts are that you have one of the few dogs who is capable of self regulation.  In my experience, most dogs are not very good at self regulation.

Your dogs looks great, btw.

• Gold Top Dog

sorry, but abady food doesn't meet my definition of a proper carnivore diet- it's dry and contains rice. And I can assure you that raw-fed dogs, who actually DO eat a proper diet, would happily eat until they waddled if their owners allowed it.

• Gold Top Dog

How many lard-laden land sharks do you see running around out there in the wild, in nature?  Could it possibly be they are all lean and trim because they don't know how to hunt?  Or, could it possible be they all look good and like they should because they are eating properly structured diets found in nature?  hmmmmm?

Mr. Abady,

I have seen several documentaries on wolves and coyotes. Most concur that the reason these animals are normally thin in the wild is because of scarcity of food. They gorge when food is plentiful so they hopefully have enough stores to get them through the leaner times.

Sincerely,

BD

• Gold Top Dog

they always seem to be running around in those documentaries, too. Maybe lack of exercise contributes to obesity? Nah, that's just silly.

• Gold Top Dog

My dog was free-fed for a long time and did very well with it. He was a good, lean weight and self-regulated very nicely.

You know why?

Because he was being fed Science Diet and Newman's Own Chicken and Rice, and he HATED his food. So he ate only what he had to eat in order to not die of hunger. When I switched him to higher quality foods (much closer to a wild dog's diet - fewer grains, fewer fillers) he picked up his appetite considerably, and now will eat far past what he "needs."

So... does that mean that dogs self-regulate when fed Abady because it is unpalatable and undesirable to them (as Science Diet was to my dog)?

Just food for thought. Wink 

• Gold Top Dog

Mr. Abady (cc431)  

Please start a THREAD titled  It's a Religion not a food.... like most things people believe in I think you have a hard time grasping how to explain it.

The posting of the picture was a start...  People like to see proof.

Now I think you need to explain that dogs fed well will not be searching for food all the time.. They will be content..

Less is more when you have a good product. You don't have to say much.

Something like   """ The Abady Products are so good they sell themselves !  """"    but I think the point of directing us to those articles was so we could see who ( cc431 ) is. The writing of your posts is the same in style. You and Abady are one.  

• Gold Top Dog

Moderator reminder

Focus the discussion on the concepts and ideas presented in the article...that way the thread can remain educational to others who might have interest in it. Debate and discuss...but remain civil and on topic.

Thank you all for helping out with this.

• Gold Top Dog

Wild animals are usually also under nourished.  That's one reason I actually don't  go for the whole, wolf model, for feeding my dogs.  I don't want my dogs to look like the mangy, malnourished coyotes I see running around here - who have so few reserves that they are suseptible to every bug that they catch, or drop from parasitism at what would be middle age for my dogs.

Ben is raw fed - whole bones, organs, and extra muscle meat make up probably 97% of his diet.  It doesn't get much closer to nature than that - I do believe it's more meat based than Charlie's favorite food, no matter how you cut it.  If Ben ate as much as he wanted right now, he'd be fat, trust me, because over the holidays I got busy, didn't take him for his weigh-in, and noticed, OOPS, I had let him get a bit chubby!  Wait, let me savor the moment because that may be the first time I've said that about Ben . . .  Big Smile

Yes, it's easier to overfeed a dog when carbs make up the bulk of the energy fed, but that's because carbs are very dense, burn quickly, and leave the dog begging for more in mere hours.  But dogs love to eat - it makes them happy just like eating makes us happy.  There's no real evidence that I've ever seen for a consistent "self-regulating" mechanism.  Some dogs will even eat until their stomachs are so full they throw up, and then they will eat again.  And then you'll see some dogs that really don't care that much about food. 

I've got both kinds in my pack here, and sometimes (like with Ben) age or circumstances will change the way a dog feels about food, too - a complete turnaround.  I can remember when Cord got here, I'd have to resist the urge to beg him to eat.  Then I figured out his needs and now he's the biggest chow hound here.

• Gold Top Dog

Some dogs go their whole lives eating without a schedule, having food left out all the time. Several things can cause this to suddenly become a problem, though.

If you add another dog to the household, or another dog comes to visit, you'll need to separate the free feeder from the other dog whenever they eat. The free feeder will suddenly not have constant access to the dish.

Dogs can develop medical problems from going too long without food. The free-feeder dog is of course not aware of needing to eat every so many hours. As a result, these dogs become candidates for things like seizures from hypoglycemia.

Free-feeding dogs often become overweight or underweight after awhile, resulting in the need to adjust food amounts. You'll need to convert the dog to scheduled feeding then.

Some boarding situations will require that your dog be able to eat on schedule rather than free-feeding. This would be especially true if a friend or relative with a dog needed to keep your dog for you.

Free-feeding a puppy makes housetraining more difficult. When a dog eats on a regular schedule, bowel movements occur on a regular schedule. That helps you figure out when your dog will need a potty outing.

that is an alternate opinion on free feeding (i say opinion because the author doesnt back up her article with sources)....

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1549