Abady/Dog Food Project

• Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: cc431

These high-end granulars are considered "competition" feeds.  This is going for the Ribbon at the big dance, whether it be field, bench, ring.  This does not sound like anybodies ball park here.  OK, let me put in proper perspective for you.  You have a 30-pound house dog with minimal activity, luck to get a nice walk once in a while outside of the quick pee. 

It sounds like you are saying that your "lucky to get a nice walk" example IS the ballpark here. That's insulting, and I am trusting that you did not intend to sound that way. My dog does agility once a week and runs off-lead at full speed for 1 or 2 hours EVERY DAY, PLUS a long swim once or twice a week and a "nice walk once in a while" on-lead to practise his manners. And I still would not feed this food.

Edited to rephrase.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Is that really a lot of money to spend per month, and factor in you'll be going to Vet far less fighting those hotspots?Quote by cc431

As previously discussed hotspots are caused by other factors rather than just food related. If food related it means the dog is intolerant of a certain ingredient which can very easily happen with ANY food. Abady dog food has ingredients in it which are know to cause allergic dogs to have outbreaks. So, please do not state that any one food can keep a dog from having hot spots. You have breeds that are not as easily susceptible to hotspots. We have many dogs that come to our shop for grooming that eat crappy food like Beneful and have NEVER had a hotspot in their life. Not that I agree with feeding those crappy foods, but apparently these dogs do not have allergies to any of the ingredients and do not carry a heavy dense coat that the owner didn't take proper care of.
    We have 6 dogs, 4 of which are breeds genetically prone to hotspots. Our Newf's never get hotspots, but, my Rottie Athena due to "Seasonal Allergies" used to get them. I have found ways to keep her from having out breaks in the spring going forward. But, hers were not FOOD related.

This is carry a few box on the sled dog trail (along with the raw) sort of meal.  These high-end granulars are considered "competition" feeds.  This is going for the Ribbon at the big dance, whether it be field, bench, ring. 

cc431, did you know that some of the best sled dogs that win all kinds of ribbons are fed a diet of pig pellets??? read Raymond coppinger's book who has ribbon winning sled dogs.  That's what he feeds so he won't have any food aggression in his dogs.  The less appetizing the food the less resource issues a large group of dogs living together will have.

This does not sound like anybodies ball park here.  OK, let me put in proper perspective for you.  You have a 30-pound house dog with minimal activity, luck to get a nice walk once in a while outside of the quick pee. 

If you are trying to advertise for Abady dog food your not doing a very good job by putting the owners here down. Just a heads up. I have 3 retired show dogs, do I think they had more activity than anyone's dog on this forum...no, I would say they had less as the breeder kept them from running around too much, just enough to keep good muscle tone. She was always afraid of them pulling a muscle or ACL injury and not making it to a dog show. Plus, many posters here compete in agility etc. I know my dogs are really active.
    • Gold Top Dog
    If you are trying to advertise for Abady dog food your not doing a very good job by putting the owners here down. Just a heads up. I have 3 retired show dogs, do I think they had more activity than anyone's dog on this forum...no, I would say they had less as the breeder kept them from running around too much, just enough to keep good muscle tone. She was always afraid of them pulling a muscle or ACL injury and not making it to a dog show. Plus, many posters here compete in agility etc. I know my dogs are really active.

I exercise my show Pugs a lot, but most show Pug breeders I know hardly exercise them.  Most pet owners I know are the ones that really exercise their dogs, running with them, daily long walks. It comes across as very condescending to put down owners of house dogs.
    • Gold Top Dog
    These high-end granulars are considered "competition" feeds. This is going for the Ribbon at the big dance, whether it be field, bench, ring. This does not sound like anybodies ball park here.

I would say it's in my ball park as well.  I've got a high performance dog who also has a side job of being a show dog.

Explain to me how the economics work again, because those ingredients sound like they are at best average. 

Again, this feeding program is probably cheaper than what most of you are doing now, considering supplements or adding in the Raw.  Consider this...a cup of  raw is about what say, 400 Cals?  Classic Granular is 800 cals per cup.

800 cals that my dog will still go through in a very very short time period.  But he won't get the same benefits because the mineral content is average at best.

The raw that I feed is on sale and then discounted.  Heck I paid $3.50 for $16.00 worth of beef tips the other day.  I'm not the only one that eats high quality food in my house.
    • Gold Top Dog

ORIGINAL: cc431

This does not sound like anybodies ball park here.  OK, let me put in proper perspective for you.  You have a 30-pound house dog with minimal activity, luck to get a nice walk once in a while outside of the quick pee. 

That sounds very condescending. [&o] I have to say that it's written in the exact same tone as Mr. Abady himself.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Personal note, yep, it sure sounds pretty condescending to me too.

Moderators note, the condescending comments stop.  We are NEVER going to agree on this particular food, so lets just let it be.  However, I do not think it's unreasonable to want to know what the heck is in the dog food we buy.
    • Gold Top Dog
    content removed.  Rude.
    • Gold Top Dog
    luck to get a nice walk once in a while outside of the quick pee.

Not to jump on the bandwagon [&o] But owners not giving their dogs enough exercise is one of my biggest pet peeves!It is one of the most important aspects of being a dog owner IMO.

Charlie,you also said that your dogs get nothing but abady to eat.Do you think this is a healthy way of feeding?I dont care if one feeds the best and most healthy pet food in the world,feeding nothing but the same food day in day out just cant,imho,provide the dog everything he needs. They need a variety of different foods,the same as us,but most importantly they need fresh,whole,live foods to properly thrive imo.Living on nothing but a processed diet is no better for dogs than it would be for a human.

One thing i just cant seem to justify about this food is it's price??!! There is nothing in it that warrants such a huge price tag??!!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Please feel free to continue discussing this politely, as Edie did in her post above.

However, if there are any further rude and condescending comments, further action will be taken.
    • Gold Top Dog
    The biggest thing that is bothering me, the ingredients are not listed anywhere. Even the Abady website has no info. on ingredients. Is it just me, or do others find that very disturbing?  
    • Gold Top Dog
    Is it just me, or do others find that very disturbing?

No,i dont understand the cloak and dagger act either,there's probably a manipulative reason behind  it.As far as i can tell Abady doesnt seem to be very forthcoming on the honesty front.

Charlie you're probably feeling like you're getting a right bashing on here,this is not my intent by posting on this thread.It's just that there are so many oddities,unanswered questions about Abady and his food it just all seems to sit very uncomfortably with most pet owners.

My biggest question is..what is his agenda? I think every little thing he says and does is very well thought out and just screams manipulation.

Just my [sm=2cents.gif]