Abady/Dog Food Project

• Gold Top Dog

Abady/Dog Food Project

From the Dog Food Project [linkhttp://forums.dogfoodproject.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=33141]forum[/link].

No product details are available - this company requested that I remove "old and inaccurate" information but was not willing to provide current ingredient listings for comparison.

I just found that interesting... [8|]
    • Gold Top Dog
    This is my PERSONAL position on Abady.

If I need some sort of super secret clearance to know what the heck I'm feeding my dogs, then I'm not gonna feed it.  The way these ingredients are hidden goes wayyyyyy beyond propriotory info.

This is my MODERATORS position on this particular thread......

This is interesting information and I thank Sooner for sharing it.  Discuss all you want, but lets please keep it nice.  We all have our own opinions and aren't likely to share anyone elses with harsh words.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I don't know why they won't give their list.  I don't know if this site "rates" dog food or not, but if so, maybe they don't care to be "rated" by someone that they don't fully believe in.  Who knows.  Same question came up when one-two of the makers would not tell where their product was made during all the recalls.  Most found that strange, some didnt.  Only difference, the Abady dog food does list ingreients on package so you can find out what is in there.  Manufacture's site is not listed on the bags.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: sandra_slayton

I don't know why they won't give their list.  I don't know if this site "rates" dog food or not, but if so, maybe they don't care to be "rated" by someone that they don't fully believe in.

The Dog Food Project does not rate foods. The purpose of that section of the forum is to be a database of product information, including ingredients and guaranteed analysis. No commentary is included.

Abady's ingredients used to be available on Waggin Tails (a retail site), but they've been pulled from there too. I'd think a person would want to know the ingredients before they spent $85 on 35 lbs [sm=eek.gif]
    • Gold Top Dog
    That is some "food for thought."  (Pun intended!)

This forum has definitely enlightened me and I wouldn't buy any food based entirely upon manufacturers claims.  I need a bit more information to make a "informed" decision on what I'm feeding my dog.
    • Gold Top Dog
    More food for thought... My dogs have been on straight Abady Granular (no mixing or rotating) pushing 6 years now.  I just wondering if there is anyone else that can stake that claim, been on the same food for that long....trouble free mind you, meaning no Vet bill outside routine vaccines or meds.  BTW, what is a hotspot anway?

Charlie
    • Gold Top Dog
    My dad's setters and pointer were on Purina dog chow their entire lives, some up to 15 years,  Mine have always been on Purina chow and then Purina one for past year and half.  I wanted kayCee on senior and Honey on weight management, but wanted to stick with Purina since i had always had luck with it.  I think everyone should use what works for their dogs  But I can understand why one would not want to buy a food without knowing what was in it.

Hot spots are horrible.  One every single one of my golden forums there are at least 2 dogs with hot spots right now.And what they are fed has made not one  iota of differecne.  Seems there are always 1 or 2 with hotspots.  They rainge form being fed Beneful to TWO to raw.    Not one of my English setters nor irish Setters ever had hot spot.  neither did my dad's English setters and pointers.  But golden retrievers are noted for them, thyroid trouble, alleregies and cancer.
    • Gold Top Dog
    My dogs have been on straight Abady Granular (no mixing or rotating) pushing 6 years now.  I just wondering if there is anyone else that can stake that claim, been on the same food for that long....trouble free mind you, meaning no Vet bill outside routine vaccines or meds.  BTW, what is a hotspot anway? Quote by cc431

Yes, I've seen many dogs that have lived on the same food for their entire lives and are healthy with only their vaccine vet visits .  Some dogs have better genetic lines than others.  Just like people, I've seen some people eat very unhealthy diets and brag of how healthy they are...but, the question is what is going on long term and what may show up in old age.  I've seen that happen with people who eat not the best diets or don't have as much variety.

I personally like a rotation diet with variety and yes, my dogs are very healthy.  For the genetic health issues 3 of my dogs were cursed with from birth I am very proud of how well they are doing. 

cc431, hotspots are caused by more than just feeding a food that doesn't agree with them.  The most common start of a hotspot is for heavy coated dogs just before shedding.  The moist dead hair is trapped next to the skin.  Also, fleas, mites and other skin parasties, skin allergies, irritant skin diseases, ear and anal gland infections, and neglected grooming are factors that start hot spots.  There are certain breeds prone to hot spots as well, plus too close of breeding can weaken the immune system of some lines.

Abady's ingredients used to be available on Waggin Tails (a retail site), but they've been pulled from there too. I'd think a person would want to know the ingredients before they spent $85 on 35 lbs
    [sm=eek.gif] 
    Sooner, thank you for posting this information.  Not that I would ever feed Abady in a million years...it's nice to know for clients who may decide to try it.  That's a lot of money for that food. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    Wow! That stuff is expensive. For that price I'd expect it to be all human grade so I could slip it into DH's bowl when I'm feeling lazy.
    • Gold Top Dog
    [sm=funnypost.gif]

Actually cc431, I can make that claim about the food Shy and Rotten were on for eight years. The food that was 1/4 the price of Abady. That claim isn't as uncommon as some would have you believe. I haven't had the other dogs that long, but like Cally, I now believe in rotation and variety for all of them.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Stacita

Wow! That stuff is expensive. For that price I'd expect it to be all human grade so I could slip it into DH's bowl when I'm feeling lazy.

It only seems expensive but in all honesty I find it affordable and economical.  It is probably cheaper when most of you folks are doing right now....remember, no supplements, no addititves...just the product.

A 40 pound box of Classic will last me about 3 months.  My last box cost me $63.  21 a month is not expensive.  However, $63 is a great price, where most will be looking to sell at 68, so it will fluctuate.  It has never cost me over 23 per month.

I'm very please with this product...will never switch in a million years.
    • Gold Top Dog
    A Vet friend of mine is convinced that the high number of cases of Cancer in dogs today ( about 50% of the dog population winds up with Cancer)  , is a direct result of a diet of  poor quaility foods that  are sold in supermarkets and manufactured by the big food companies. These foods  are filled with by-products, toxins, ingredients that are worthless as far as a dog is concerned,  old grease collected form restaurant friers, and other stuff not fit for human or animal  consumption. Treating one case of Cancer is certainly going to cost many times more than the small difference in the cost of a quality food versus the poor supermarket foods.

I know a guy that only uses Mobil One oil for his car, but feeds his dog Beneful......  Go figure.....[sm=eek.gif]
    • Gold Top Dog
    I honestly believe the high rate of cancer is due to over vax, flea preventative, heartworm preventative, polluted air, etc.  Years ago our dogs got rabies and distermper vax and that was it.   We had some kind of cheap powder we put on for fleas..not the greatest stuff.  And the air where we lived was not polluted.  mos famiolies had one car per family, etc.  I think this has more to do with cancer than what we feed our dogs.
    • Gold Top Dog

ORIGINAL: sandra_slayton

I honestly believe the high rate of cancer is due to over vax, flea preventative, heartworm preventative, polluted air, etc.  Years ago our dogs got rabies and distermper vax and that was it.   We had some kind of cheap powder we put on for fleas..not the greatest stuff.  And the air where we lived was not polluted.  mos famiolies had one car per family, etc.  I think this has more to do with cancer than what we feed our dogs.

I agree that those things contribute to cancer, but I wouldn't say that they contribute more, except by adding all of those factors together. But individually, I really think they play an equal role. Feeding dogs a grain based food with artifical colors, flavors, preservatives and questionable ingredients like "animal" fat, "animal" digest, "meat and bone" meal, etc. certainly is not healthy.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I think the stronger one's immune system is, the better they are able to ward off cancers caused by a wide array of things. And I think one of the ways to strengthen the immune system is to eat as well as possible.