How does Gravy Train work?

• Gold Top Dog

How does Gravy Train work?

What exactly makes Gravy Train work? Now I dont want anyone getting into a 'thats crap' debate, I just think its interesting how youre supposed to add water and it makes a 'gravy'.

Where I take my son to get his hair cut the guy owns a black GSD and its what he feeds her, and boy does she love it!

So what makes Gravy Train, Gravy?
    • Gold Top Dog
    After the kibble is cooked, its sprayed with a chemical flavoring that imbibes water, like corn starch... so when you mix the kibble with water, its like adding corn starch to your chicken stock to make gravy.

Thats also why different canned foods have different consistencies. For instance, Hills canned food is solid, but purina is very soft with a gravy-like coating. Both cans read 78% water. Hills has added something to their food (I don't remember what exactly) to make it more solid because customers have indicated this is preferable for ease of feeding and looks.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I would think it's similar to the pakaged powder gravy you buy from the store, just add water.  Like mixing water with flower, you get a "gravy" except the sauce mix is stuck to the dog food and is released when water is added.

My parents used to feed that stuff to their dogs (thankfuly they don't anymore) and I remember the dogs would go crazy over it.
    • Gold Top Dog
    If I'm not mistaken, I don't think it really makes a "gravy" per se but it's just when you add water to it, it seems to release the flavors and kinda looks "gravyish". I've added water to different kinds of feed, and I do so for my dogs Innova Evo, and they've all seem to have the "Gravy Train" effect.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I don't really think it is true gravy either. But seeing as how i have never tasted it, I would not swear to it.  Matter of fact, I didn't even know it was still around.  I hone on on where I the pace where i pick up One senior and One weightmagemanet and don't pay attention to others any more. I add some water to my dogs purina One & home cooked/fish at night and it doesn't make any kind of gravy looking stuff, but does make the food soft very quickly.  in the mornign they just get dry.  I don't add the water so they get more liquids, they are like me and love water, but it jut makes a good change.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I looked on the website that advertises Gravy Train,,,it appears that its basted in juices from beef. here you go:
    [font=arial][size=2]If there's one thing dogs love, it's rich, beefy gravy. That's why every nugget of Gravy Train is basted in real beef juices. Just mix it with warm water, and you can give your dog a warm homestyle meal, dripping with the delicious gravy he loves.
    [/size][/font]
    I do know that I add almost a cup of water to Bubbys Eagle Pack and it does not make anything that resembles gravy,,,it looks just like kibble floating around in water!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Merrick's dry food makes delightful smelling gravy.

I wouldn't reccomend it, but it smells really good[:D] I gave some to Teenie, once, and had Exploding Dachshund fun for a week straight. Of course, she isn't really a kibble dog, so I dunno....