Posted : 1/27/2007 11:10:40 PM
I'm new to this forum and relatively new to dog.com. I happened upon this discussion because I, too have a dog that is being fed Innova Evo, and has an elevated ALT (liver enzyme). He is a 6 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi athlete (hence the desired high levels of protein in his diet). I compete him in flyball, canine musical freestyle and herding trials, with some disc dog work on the side. He is a very drivey dog and hasn't missed a beat. He's eating, drinking, running, playing, racing normally. I took him in for a C6 test, and as a fluke, pulled extra blood. (I work at a veterinary practice so I can pull blood on my dogs whenever I feel like it). I decided to run a profile on him just simply because he's 6 and I had the blood to do it with. Well, wouldn't you know...his ALT was 309 (normal is up to 100). Nothing else abnormal, and again, clinically perfect. So, we decided to place him on Denosyl, Milk Thistle, and some antibiotics in case he was just fighting some sort of infection that the liver was working on. Two weeks later, we pull his blood again, 307. No real change. Nothing else on his bloodwork changed either, and again, he's still non-clinical. So we continued his meds, discontinued his Antibiotics, sent off a Lepto test just in case (doubtful, but he is exposed to lots of dogs in the competition world) and took some X-rays. Low and behold...the dog had eaten a staple that had migrated into his liver. A regular human paper staple from an office. We ultrasounded him and couldn't see it on ultrasound in the stomach. We can't remove it via endoscopy because by now it's embedded so deep, we couldn't find it. We can't surgically remove it because again, it's embedded and you can't go digging around in the liver. At that time, we also tested his ALT again. Now it's 509! We increased his dose of Denosyl, we increased the dose of Milk Thistle, and we're playing the waiting game. We are waiting one month to see if the body can absorb the staple and/or desintigrate it. That is the hope. At this point, either way, the liver will form a capsulated response and wall off away from it (which is why we're getting a high ALT), or it will dissolve it and pass it. The entire time, my vet has recommended staying on the food we have him on, and monitor him for any other clinical signs. Now...mind you...only ONE of his enzymes are elevated. If both enzymes are elevated on your dog, that would indicate doing the Bile Acids test (the one they already did) and some others.
Depending on the reason for your dogs elevations, and depending on whether or not BOTH enzymes are involved, that will determine whether or not you need to switch food permanently or not. Ideally, when the liver is going through stress, no, you do not want a HIGH protein diet such as Evo. (42%) You placing your dog on the LD Diet is not a bad thing...for now. Monitor the enzymes, find out what's wrong with your dog and fix it. Then, when the enzymes return to normal or begin to decline, I would recommend placing him on the Innova diets, but perhaps not something SO high in protein if he's not a working dog. They have several other formulas to choose from.
Just my opinion...I do not mean to offend anyone, and I will not be offended if you tell me to go jump in a lake! [