Why is Beneful Bad?

• Gold Top Dog
    So if seeing is believing, that was all it took for me to KNOW that these higher quality foods make a huge difference.

My last two dogs that went to the Bridge were aged 18 (Yorkie) and 16 1/2 (Beagle).  Dancer will be 17 years and 4 months old on Tuesday, and Fergie is 17.  Innova, Canidae, and some of the other high quality foods have made that happen.  When I adopted Fergie, she was 11 pounds!!!!  Now, she is a svelte 6 pounds (still big for a Yorkie, but she is not well bred, and oversized anyway - at least now she isn't fat).  Works for me.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: chewbecca
    Guide her to the Canidae testimonials on their website. I believe there is a golden on there with pics that the guy shows a before and after of the dog. If you think seeing pics on the internet can convince her to at least try Canidae or a better food like it, then try that. Tell her to try the smallest bag available (or the least amount of cans) that way if her dog doesn't react well to it, then she can either give it to someone else or discard of it without having wasted THAT MUCH money.

We dont have Canidae in Puerto Rico.

I spoke to my mom today about switching Laika over to Purina One after explainly to her that Beneful was probably causing alot of her problems (i.e. the inactivity, hair loss, greasy yet rough coat) and I told her I would pay the difference, which is only 5-6 bucks and she said yes! I bought a bag of their Lamb and Rice formula for Lizzie, since the shop that sells the other food is a bit too far for my mom to travel, and the ingredients are awsome (for Purina) Lamb is the first ingredient, Brewers Rice (not so good) and oatmeal. So for what she'll get for it its a very decent food
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: LizzieCollie

ORIGINAL: chewbecca
    Guide her to the Canidae testimonials on their website. I believe there is a golden on there with pics that the guy shows a before and after of the dog. If you think seeing pics on the internet can convince her to at least try Canidae or a better food like it, then try that. Tell her to try the smallest bag available (or the least amount of cans) that way if her dog doesn't react well to it, then she can either give it to someone else or discard of it without having wasted THAT MUCH money.

We dont have Canidae in Puerto Rico.

I spoke to my mom today about switching Laika over to Purina One after explainly to her that Beneful was probably causing alot of her problems (i.e. the inactivity, hair loss, greasy yet rough coat) and I told her I would pay the difference, which is only 5-6 bucks and she said yes! I bought a bag of their Lamb and Rice formula for Lizzie, since the shop that sells the other food is a bit too far for my mom to travel, and the ingredients are awsome (for Purina) Lamb is the first ingredient, Brewers Rice (not so good) and oatmeal. So for what she'll get for it its a very decent food

Is that "Naturally Complete" Dog Chow for sale in Puerto Rico?  If so, I think it's a better food.  Its ingredients aren't fantastic, but they're better than Beneful and the ONE varieties.  It has corn, wheat, soybean meal and the usual Purina food suspects, but it also has chicken meal (second ingredient) and beef (third).  Plus, it has the oatmeal, barley, and whole grain brown rice thrown in. 

In my opinion, that would be the best food in your situation.  [:)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: jones

Why would, and how could, you understand why Beneful (or anything else) is a good or bad food without looking at the ingredients? Tell me why Hamlet is a great play - but ;please, don't tell me anything about the plot or characters. 

I said that because I have always asked 'is this food good?' and all I get is a list of ingredients which im not terribly good at understanding. I believe Luvntzus linked a definition of the ingredients and that was majorly helpful, very cool.

I dont understand the ingredients exept I know what by product is, that corn is not good for a main ingredient, I wasnt too sure what corn gluten was, but thanks to that Link im getting a good amount of information
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Roxie865

Is that "Naturally Complete" Dog Chow for sale in Puerto Rico?  If so, I think it's a better food.  Its ingredients aren't fantastic, but they're better than Beneful and the ONE varieties.  It has corn, wheat, soybean meal and the usual Purina food suspects, but it also has chicken meal (second ingredient) and beef (third).  Plus, it has the oatmeal, barley, and whole grain brown rice thrown in. 

Ever since I saw the thread on the Naturally Complete Line ive been going to every supermarket and petshop around and I have not seen it!Im so mad that a half decent food isnt up on those shelves!! [&:]

But yeah, I wish the food was available, but Purina ONE is her best choice, we are treating the durn mange with Ivomec, shes due for the second shot, and at least it isnt anyworse. We'll be getting her on vitamins asap and ordering some good stuff for her skin and coat. Overall though her teeth look incredibly good, shes quite healthy except for that dreaded skin problem.

But anyway, Ive been seeing this Pedigree Lamb, Rice and Vegetables (or something like that) I havent paid much attention because it only comes in small  bags. I dont think thats the same thing as the Naturally Complete right? I'll google it and find out
    • Gold Top Dog

ORIGINAL: Roxie865

Ever since I saw the thread on the Naturally Complete Line ive been going to every supermarket and petshop around and I have not seen it!Im so mad that a half decent food isnt up on those shelves!! [&:]

But yeah, I wish the food was available, but Purina ONE is her best choice, we are treating the durn mange with Ivomec, shes due for the second shot, and at least it isnt anyworse. We'll be getting her on vitamins asap and ordering some good stuff for her skin and coat. Overall though her teeth look incredibly good, shes quite healthy except for that dreaded skin problem.

But anyway, Ive been seeing this Pedigree Lamb, Rice and Vegetables (or something like that) I havent paid much attention because it only comes in small  bags. I dont think thats the same thing as the Naturally Complete right? I'll google it and find out

No, Pedigree is an entirely different company.  I believe it's made by Mars, Inc. -- but I could be wrong.  Also, it's a chicken, rice, and vegetables labeling scheme, much like Beneful.  The packaging has the appearance of meats and veggies, but a close inspection of its ingredients reveals the truth. 

I'm sure the Naturally Complete will eventually find its way to Puerto Rico.  Just a waiting game.  Hold tight and be patient.  [:D]
    • Gold Top Dog
    and all I get is a list of ingredients which im not terribly good at understanding.

Do you check out the ingredients when you buy foods for yourself and your child? If so,choosing dog foods isnt much different.

Just think simplistically. What do dogs eat in the wild? Meat,organs,some fruit and veg matter and rmb's. Then look for these as the major parts in the ingredient list. What do dogs NOT eat in the wild? Corn,grains for every meal,(except what they may find in minute amounts in their prey),flour,gluten,soy,SUGAR,colourings,preservatives etc etc etc.

I think feeding beneful would be worse than feeding a kid happy meals for breakfast,lunch and dinner.I'm thinking more like pizza,soda and a bag of candy for every meal would be more comparable,throw in a bargain basement multi vitamin,and there you have it!

Lizzie to be honest if i lived where you did i would be feeding my dogs predominately raw and/or homecooked,perhaps with a smattering of the best dry food i could find,which pedigree/beneful are certainly not!
    • Gold Top Dog
    If I understand correctly, your wanting reasons to convert your mother's dog away from Beneful.

Here's my two cents. Dogs are omnivores, not herbivores. They need meat as part of their diet. Ingredient lists are, in the U.S., and Puerto Rico is part of the U.S., to be listed in descending order by volume. The most prevalent ingredient first, next most prevalent ingredient next, and so on. Many dogs, if they do not have a kidney problem or meat allergy, seem to do exceedingly well on a food where meat or meat meal is the first ingredient. According to the principle set forth by Mordanna, which is in those links you have been reading, the primary bulk of the food is made up of the ingredients from the first one, be it meat or grain, down to and including the first or only fat listed. Anything after that is in supplemental and trace amounts. Technically, protein is a chain molecule of amino acids and if those chains are arranged in a digestible, usable manner, then it wouldn't matter whether it came from beef or soy. Though dogs can absorb nutrients from plant matter, the easiest source for them to absorb protein is from animal tissue. More accurately, the protein and minerals in the blood of the meat, for meat tissue is cellulose, i.e., fiber and passes on through. That being said, there are some dogs that do well on Beneful. But if your mom's dog is not, then it is time to change her food. Seeing that you have limited choices due to the tarrifs and shipping costs, using a food with meat source being higher up the tier in the ingredient list would be good. Also, the ingredient list is not a mathematical equation. What is important is the as-fed nutrient profile and the guaranteed analysis. A maintenance diet is generally 18 to 20 percent protein and 12 to 14 percent fat. What I feed my dog is 24/13 protein/fat. It does have grain in it and it agrees with him nicely. But the meat meal is the first ingredient.

Another option you may have is to homecook some and supplement with the dog food. For that, you will have a lot of research to do and may need some mentored advice. FWIW, Glenda homecooks for 6 GSDs on a budget. She has, at times, offered to share her recipe, designed by a canine nutritionist, for any donation you can make to her MS Walk. Our host, dog.com, also has recipes. Some people have found, when they can buy whole foods in bulk, they sometimes spend less than they would on kibble, but that may require a freezer that is beyond your budget.

Though many people may have opinions as to the ingredient list of Beneful, that's not really what your problem is. Your problem is trying to convince your mother to try another food than Beneful. In that case, you would be better off relaying to her the experience of Sandra.
    • Gold Top Dog
    And, another view that I've had to come to accept myself is that sometimes you just can't change everyone and maybe your mom is one of them.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'm glad that you're finding the link about dog foods helpful! And that's good that you got your mom to switch over to Purina One, although it's not the best food in the world, it's definitely a step up!
    • Gold Top Dog
    You guys have no idea how glad I am that she is making the diet switch, im telling you Laika looks horrible, her coat and skin have taken a total downfall. I hope with the diet change and maybe an egg every other day and a skin and coat supplement she will start to look like her old self [&:]
    • Gold Top Dog
    Your problem is trying to convince your mother to try another food than Beneful. In that case, you would be better off relaying to her the experience of Sandra.

I dont understand you're last line Ron. Doesnt Sandra refuse to try any other foods?
    • Gold Top Dog
    As I recall, Sandra does NOT feed Beneful.  And I believe that she's tried other foods and that what she does works best for her dogs who have beautiful teeth, coats and BLOOD work.

Puh leeze lets not start this people of her generation being resistent to change stuff again.  Especially since I'm in about the same generation.[:o]  Sandra doesn't REFUSE to change, she sticks with what WORKS for her dogs.  Would I fed it?  Nope.  But neither would I feed Merrick nor some of the other foods that are popular here. Doesn't make me right or anyone else, including Sandra wrong.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: glenmar

Puh leeze lets not start this people of her generation being resistent to change stuff again.

Good grief. No one said anything of the sort. As far as I know something to that effect was said once a few months ago by someone who is no longer a member here. The only person who keeps bringing it up is you.
    • Gold Top Dog

You guys have no idea how glad I am that she is making the diet switch, im telling you Laika looks horrible, her coat and skin have taken a total downfall. I hope with the diet change and maybe an egg every other day and a skin and coat supplement she will start to look like her old self [&:]

Glad you could talk her into it... hope it works out!! [sm=wink2.gif]