Biting his feet until bleeding

• Puppy

Biting his feet until bleeding

Bichon is over 10 years old. Is there anything to prevent them from chewing their own feet? I feel like it is an allergy but what do you do? Also, he was so very ill for over a week. Vet just had no ideas that seemed logical to us. Finally did blood work and the only thing she said was his liver was angry.
    I asked for a solution. She said X-rays. OMG for 2 days he had vomiting and diarrhea and fever, then the next 4 days he would collapse when trying to walk but the other symptoms were gone. Someone suggested pediolite I tried that and he did drink it. Then I read article in here that mentioned milk thistle and I bought a bottle. I gave him one and next day another. Those 2 days he whined and wanted to be held. He would eat chicken and veggies.
    Next day he went in by bath and begged for a bath. Whatever it was everything seemed normal again..
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

@CarolineSurrell

Bichon is over 10 years old. Is there anything to prevent them from chewing their own feet? I feel like it is an allergy but what do you do? Also, he was so very ill for over a week. Vet just had no ideas that seemed logical to us. Finally did blood work and the only thing she said was his liver was angry.

I asked for a solution. She said X-rays. OMG for 2 days he had vomiting and diarrhea and fever, then the next 4 days he would collapse when trying to walk but the other symptoms were gone. Someone suggested pediolite I tried that and he did drink it. Then I read article in here that mentioned milk thistle and I bought a bottle. I gave him one and next day another. Those 2 days he whined and wanted to be held. He would eat chicken and veggies.

Next day he went in by bath and begged for a bath. Whatever it was everything seemed normal again..

HI, it could mean a couple things when the chew on their feet. Could be allergies, circulation issues or pain. It's just trying to find out what. The best advice is talk to your vet and see what the options are. Is he back to normal other than the chewing on his feet?

• Gold Top Dog

@Michele68

@CarolineSurrell

HI, it could mean a couple things when the chew on their feet. Could be allergies, circulation issues or pain. It's just trying to find out what. The best advice is talk to your vet and see what the options are. Is he back to normal other than the chewing on his feet?

Michele is right -- it could be a few things, altho being Fall allergies can surely be the problem.  Can you tell us where abouts you live?  (I don't want your street address -- just geographically to place you).  Are you rural or in the city?

Milk thistle is extremely helpful but you will need to continue it.  Just a couple of capsules won't detox his liver.  Milk thistle does 3 things -- it helps detox the liver a bit, it helps protect the liver (like from nasty drugs and toxins), and thirdly it aids liver function. (that can be the biggie usually).

You will want to get the best quality milk thistle you can.  Most of what is sold in health stores isn't very pure.  If you see the word "standardized" on the label that is indicative that the company is aware there are other plants in with the milk thistle  but they have "mixed up" the powder before it is  encapsulated in order to keep it all consistent or "standardized".

There are tons of places to buy herbs but buy **really good** quality.  If you get the milk thistle in bulk (i.e., no capsules - you just measure it out and add it to food or anything wet) you can actually get a far far better quality herb and far cheaper.

In a bottle of milk thistle capsules which costs $15 - $22 usually there is usually like 60 - 80 capsules.  There is about an ounce and a quarter of herb in those capsules.  

You can get - from someplace like www.mountainroseherbs.com or http://wwwleavesandroots.com the bulk milk thistle.  (Mountain Rose is a bit cheaper but they don't ship as fast.  Leaves and Roots will try to get your order out that day Priority Mail)  There are other places but be sure to buy a "certified organic" herb powder.

Some herbal powders are nasty tasting & bitter so you have to use the capsules.  But milk thistle is pretty tasteless.