Best kind of dog for for a senior dog??

• Silver

Best kind of dog for for a senior dog??

Right now my dog, Bailey, is on Purina Dog Chow. We would like to change her food from that to something more healthy and good for her. She is a 9 year old yellow lab who weighs about 80 pounds. She is a little overweight and could loose a few pounds:). She gets walked almost every day and is an indoor dog. She usually lays around and sleeps when we are chilling inside.
    What are some good kinda of food for a senior dog?
    Any good suggestions????
    • Gold Top Dog

Here is a link to more info on dog food than you ever thought possible: http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

The key is to find what works for your dog. If she is used to Dog Chow, make sure you change her gradually so that she doesn't end up with diarrhea. Not all dogs have problems when a change is made, but you haven't had Bailey long enough to know whether she will or not. Add a little of the new with the old at each meal until you're sure that she is eating the new and not experiencing intestinal upsets.

Not all dogs do well on the same foods. Not all seniors need senior food. You can adjust the amount to her activity level.

Congratulations on adopting Bailey!

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

I agree with Sharismom, all dogs are built different. I know my dogs don't do well on the high end food. The important thing is to do your homework research the different foods and found what works best for your dog. Just remember to switch her slowly. Good luck.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

There are so many food these days to choose from, like Michele68 said just do your homework and this link might help get you started.

www.dog.com/.../141