Too much choice!

• Silver

Too much choice!

why are there so many different brands to choose from for dog food, everyone recommends something different, but which is honestly the best? I want the best value for money that won't break the bank but still be something that my dog loves to eat and will keep him healthy
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

I hear you...I've tried the high end foods and they never worked for my dogs, too rich. I feed them Pedigree dry and once a day they get a can of soft which I mix with Safflower Oil, sometimes an egg or two. They get sardines once a week. Sometimes I'll throw in raw chicken. What I learned is they need moisture in their diet to keep their fur and skin from flaking and getting dry. If we only feed them dry they can develop skin issues.  I guess its what ever works best for your dog. Hope this helped.

• Gold Top Dog

When asked, I tell people to feed the best quality food they can afford and to ignore the dog food snobs. lol  I fed my working Labs Purina Pro Plan as did many other trainers and handlers.  These days people get all up in arms if a dog food has corn in it.  Corn shouldn't be the first ingredient in a dog food but it is an acceptable source of additional protein.  When you feed a higher quality of dog food with less grain, you will feed less and usually the stools will be smaller.  The site below has a lot of info on foods.  I've heard good things about Kirkland food sold at Costco but have never fed it.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

• Silver

Oh wow that website was amazing, certainly helped me decipher what was available!

• Gold Top Dog

I'm a dog food snob... woot wooot! LOL No to be honest I'm recently like an all-over food snob these days. My best friend is a registered dietician and introduced me to the world of GMOs vs Organic food and I'll tell ya major difference I lost 50 lbs when I got my act together dietary wise. So I guess this all transfers over to how I feel about feeding my dog. She eats Orijen: 6 Fish, and it's convenient to buy as it's right in the store we go to so that's good enough for me.

Here is a site where you can pick a food brand based on Reviews/Ratings.

www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews