Some new Dahlia videos

• Gold Top Dog

Some new Dahlia videos

Dahlia and I took a break from trialing this year for the most part. She was struggling with distraction and after being attacked by another dog, she started to get nervous if another dog barked at her. Which happens at some trials! We had a few really disastrous trials where she shut down completely and wouldn't move. So I pulled her from trials and started working with her in the park on just one jump (first with no distractions and then slowly moving closer to people and other dogs). I also taught her to bark! I know that seems like not a huge deal to other people but Dahlia is super quiet and it took a lot for her to learn to bark. But she's adorable when she does it.

Yes. The cue is "Where are the horseys?"  The only time I could predict her barking was before agility class when she saw the horses they have there.

We also started reward for movement with the ball o' treats (one of those lotus balls from Clean Run) and the two together seemed to increase her confidence a lot. We still haven't been back to a trial since July, but we're hoping to go in April and see how she does. I had a friend take some video at class. You can keep them on mute. The first one I accidentally left some sound on the beginning and so added silly music to it. But still...mute is best!

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Nice videos! Keep up the good work, the more you can get her around other dogs the better, small doses at a time. If you dogs that are non-reactive even better. Patience and Praise is the key.

• Gold Top Dog

She's actually fine around other dogs unless they're snarking at her. If they bark or growl or try to go after her, it freaks her out and she shuts down and can't work for a time. She USED to be a dog whose reaction to that was "Yeah? Well, bring it on!" But then after she actually got a little hurt (puncture wound in her shoulder, no stitches or anything required), she started to get really nervous when other dogs would snark at her. We've been working on getting her to relax when other dogs do though!

• Gold Top Dog

I'll wait to check out the barking video when no one else in the office (or at home), but I enjoyed the agility videos on mute.  She does very well!  After taking Ruby to an intro agility class last summer (very basic, only 4 weeks), I have an even greater appreciation for people who master those courses.  I admire all the hard work you've put in together!

• Gold Top Dog

We've been doing it for about 3 1/2 years now and it is a LOT of work and a lot of things to know. I still feel like a very green handler. Sometimes things work really well in class, sometimes they don't. But it's tons of fun!

• Gold Top Dog
    Who would dare attack our girl? Rocky sez "Lemme at em"
    • Gold Top Dog

Haha I know right? It was a dog that used to come to a play group. As she got to adulthood, she would get really over-aroused in play and started resource guarding. She attacked Dahlia over a stick she (the other dog) found. Dahlia just walked by (no interest in the stick) and she went for her. After that, she attacked two other dogs (one of which needed stitches) and people would leave if the owner showed up with her.

• Bronze

There are 2 excellent books for you to read.  Scaredy Dog by Ali Brown and Control Unleashed by Leslie Mc Divitt.  I too had a dog I  was attacked while We were training for the obedience ring.  Angel became highly reactive and I was able to work her through the issues with tips I learned and practiced from these 2 books.  She was attacked by a black dog and therefore assumed every black dog was evil.  I worked with her for 6 months and then took her back in the ring.  She finished her last 2 legs of her CD title with a black lab next to her in sits and downs.

Good Luck and Keep on practicing!

• Gold Top Dog

I appreciate the book suggestions (and I did use some of Control Unleashed to deal with her frustration reactivity a number of years ago).  She's really NOT a fearful dog. I think folks are misunderstanding what went on. She only shuts down and cannot work if a dog goes after her. She is fine with other dogs around, friendly, happy to meet and greet, works happily at class and fun matches with a lot of dogs in the vicinity. But it was when a dog would attempt to go after her (snarling/growling) that she would get too worried about their possible attack to be able to concentrate.