Nutro vs. Iams?

• Gold Top Dog

Nutro vs. Iams?

Soooo.... its been a good long while since I last posted here. Got out of dogs for a little over two years, just had a few retired guys and two intact boys until very recently, and they were doing well on Science Diet & Wellness Small Breed. Yeah, I know. Anyway, the SD got pulled out of the rotation at the beginning of the summer, when they changed the formula and the kibbles were expanding and not being digested. I've no complaints about the Wellness except for the price, which isn't going to work because I just learned I'm being laid off from my part time job in October. So, we really need to go with a budget food, and since I'm still a member of the ProClub, I tried that new Purina ONE BeyOnd food...

Utter crud. 

Their products are really going into the toilet, just not the same company anymore. Anyway, my food options around here are very, very limited. The two small, independently owned pet stores have closed down, Petco is too far (no car anymore) and my local Costco isn't so local anymore without said car. The only other options I've been able to find are Iams and Nutro, which are still a bit above what my budget can do, but it's insane what they're charging now for even the bottom of the barrel feeds. I've fed both of the aforementioned brands and was underwhelmed with them, but it has been a while since I tried either one and I do know formulas will change and feeds can improve or go downhill in the span of a few years.

Is anyone feeding either Iams or Nutro, and if so, approx. how much are you paying?  Do you consider it a good feed? And if anyone has any other brand suggestions, I'm all ears :)

Thanks!

• Gold Top Dog
    What about something like Chicken Soup? IIRC that's pretty inexpensive. I used the regular ol' Natural Balance for my mom's dog and he did fine on it...I think it was around $50 for the biggest bag.

Petflow.com might be a site to check out - they offer I think $5 shipping for anything over $50? Also, I have an Amazon Prime account ($30/year) and I get free two-day shipping on a lot of stuff. Online prices are usually a little higher than in-store, though.

Another thought - could you get with a local store that is farther away and see if they'll do a bulk rate (don't you have a whole group of beaglies? I can't imagine it takes long for a group of beagles to go through even a big bag of kibble) and deliver it. You'd pay more up front, and you'd have to store it, but you'd be set for a while.

• Gold Top Dog

Maybe For Health?  It's around 30 for 35 pounds at Tractor Supply and it's better quality than either Nutro or Iams.

• Gold Top Dog

Of the two, I'd probably try Nutro first. Although I know an awful lot of show people using Iams who have no complaints. 

Do you have a taxi service in your area?  May be worth it once a month to take a cab to a feed store (they typically have good prices on pet foods) and stock up?

I haven' tfeed either brands for years, although, my cat did very well on Nutro.

Sorry I can't be more help!

• Gold Top Dog

sl2crmeg
    Another thought - could you get with a local store that is farther away and see if they'll do a bulk rate (don't you have a whole group of beaglies? I can't imagine it takes long for a group of beagles to go through even a big bag of kibble) and deliver it. You'd pay more up front, and you'd have to store it, but you'd be set for a while.

Thanks everyone for all the advice!

I'd actually forgotten about Chicken Soup... I remember a few places around here used to sell it a few years back, although two of them are the ones that went out. Going to have to do some checking around for it now, because while I never fed it on a long term basis, they used to get it on/off when the brand first came out years ago, and I don't remember having any problems with it.

The only places I've found that you can do bulk orders from are in Manhattan, and last time I went that route the delivery expenses were a bit pricy. There is literally nothing here. Nada. We're probably the least dog friendly borough in all of NYC. Ugh :( What really irks me though, is that no stores are even selling bags larger than 15lbs, and that is what's killing me. The larger bags were always cheaper per pound.

ETA: Well, the stores in my area listed as selling Chicken Soup are in fact the ones that closed, but I just got a 35lb bag for $40 off Amazon, with free shipping Cool That. Is very awesome. Really, thank you for that reminder - the price is unbeatable, it makes me MUCH happier than feeding either of the mid grade brands available here, and I just remembered that in '04, I used CS dry for my cat with renal disease and his condition improved dramatically :)

• Puppy
    Nutro and Iams are both very low quality foods.  Iams is the lesser of the two evils.  At least they don't use menadione.  There are far better foods than both of them for less money.  4Health, Tractor Supply's brand which someone already recommended is a much better food at about half the price if you have a Tractor Supply nearby.  Costco's Kirkland is a good foor at about half the price of Nutro & Iams.  PetSmart's Authority is a much better food than Nutro or Iams at about half the price.  Foods that are infinitely better than Nutro and Iams and cost about the same are Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Castor & Pollux, Merrrick, Taste of the Wild, Canidae and Solid Gold.
    • Silver

I did feed Iams Lamb and Rice to our dogs and they did pretty well except one didn't really like it and I had to put a lot of things in to get her to eat it so we switched to Nutro Venison and they both love it.  It's more expensive than Iams but their fur looks shinier now.

• Gold Top Dog

I know a couple who's dogs have all lived long lives. The one that died the youngest was a large shepherd mix, and she died at age 14. Jessie has chronic pancreatitis and food allergies. She has been on the Nutro Venison and Rice for a year and is doing great. Last week I was walking her at a park and a woman remarked on how shiny her coat is and how healthy she looks. Before the Nutro, she was on California Natural Low fat Rice and Lamb. She had gas every day, her stomach made rumbling sounds, and she strained to pass stool. After 5 months of that, I finally changed her to Nutro and am so glad I did. No more gas, stomach noises, and she has more energy.

Maryluc; do you know about the rewards program;     MY NUTRO REWARDS™ Program | The Nutro Company  

I enrolled in this and within a week received a coupon in the mail for $10 off on a bag of any variety of Nutro dog food. I regularly receive coupons for $7 off and haven't had to pay full price for a bag of food since I enrolled in the program.

• Gold Top Dog
    I did chicken soup for a while when money was tighter and had no complaints. The price makes it a good option. Glad to hear you got such a great deal online.
    • Gold Top Dog
    HoundMusic
    ETA: Well, the stores in my area listed as selling Chicken Soup are in fact the ones that closed, but I just got a 35lb bag for $40 off Amazon, with free shipping Cool That. Is very awesome.

Super Awesome!! I love Amazon :)

• Silver

Yes, I'm all signed up. Thanks.

• Silver

Our cat loved Chicken Soup and lived to be 21, eating it the about last 10 years of her life. We tried it once for the dogs but they didn't do as well; mine are very sensitive.  I think it compares to brands like Innova and I like the cranberry in it.

• Gold Top Dog

CS is not on the same level as Innova.  It's a pretty good food for a decent price, but....

• Gold Top Dog

HoundMusic
    Well, the stores in my area listed as selling Chicken Soup are in fact the ones that closed, but I just got a 35lb bag for $40 off Amazon, with free shipping 

That's awesome; so glad you found a good food that is affordable. I also hope your finances improve very soon.

• Silver

No, I guess not but I was just looking at the top 5 ingredients and they seem pretty similar

Innova adult:  Turkey, chicken , chicken meal, barley, brown rice,    analysis: 24% protein, 14% fat, 2.5 fiber

Chicken soup adult:  Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, barley, brown rice  analysis:  24% protein, 14% fat, 3% fiber