BJ's brand Holistic Dog Food

• Gold Top Dog

BJ's brand Holistic Dog Food

BJ's now has a holistic dog food under the Berkley and Jenson name and it is made by Mars.  Does anyone know anything else about it?  I can't remember, but I think the ingredients looked ok.  Is Mars bad?  I am looking for a new food for one of my dogs.

• Gold Top Dog
    I did a quick search and it keeps coming up on Dog food recall lists.
    • Gold Top Dog

I think that was their old food... years ago... prior to the holistic one.  I can't find anything about this food with a google search other than other people asking about it too.

• Gold Top Dog

Mars now owns Nutro.....who also makes such stellar foods as Pedigree.  Wouldn't be at the top of my list.

• Puppy

I went to BJs and wrote down the ingredient list and did a google search. There is a food called "Rotations" which is based on buying a box of three different formulas and "rotating" the food for a balanced diet. The Berkley and Jensen food has the same ingredient list as the Rotations premium chicken formula (the first bag in the rotation). Check out their website:

http://www.rotationspetfood.com/pg_adult_recipes.aspx

• Puppy

My mistake. It is not EXACTLY the same. The first 15 ingredients are the same and it changes up when it gets to the vitamin and mineral supplements. The first 15 are Chicken, Chicken meal, brown rice, rice, oats, rice bran, chicken fat, herring meal, natural flavors, dried egg product, dried blueberries, dried spinach, potassium chloride, salt, fish oil. Then it has a mix of several of the same supplements in a different order. It's definitely a step up from what my boys have been eating so I'm giving it a try. Plus, its about a dollar a pound ($15.99 for a 16 lb bag).

• Gold Top Dog

I am not thrilled with who makes it, but let me know how your dogs do on it!

• Gold Top Dog

After feeding my dog premium, holistic foods and having problems here or there so that I have no idea if its food or not ( actually think NOT ) I"m WAY beyond caring who makes what anymore.  I would look at the ingredients and try it out...if your dog does well on it...then its a winner in my book.

That food sounds like its not bad food and I would try it.

• Gold Top Dog

I hate to be stupid....but just checked out the website and can't see anything about it being made by Mars.   Where did you see that?

• Gold Top Dog

Here's one site that shows Mars makes the other BJs dog foods, so I'd assume they make the Holistic too.

http://holisticpetfood.wordpress.com/2009/01/11/about-the-mars-pet-food-recall/

• Gold Top Dog

smilee1079

Here's one site that shows Mars makes the other BJs dog foods, so I'd assume they make the Holistic too.

http://holisticpetfood.wordpress.com/2009/01/11/about-the-mars-pet-food-recall/

Maybe but maybe not.   If you look at Mars website...it has the lists of everything they make...and its not listed. Plus the Rotations website says its an independently owned pet food company. 

HHHmmm..very interesting!

• Gold Top Dog

Let me know how you like it.  We need a new food for Jake!

• Gold Top Dog

One statement on their web site that did concern me was: "Not all of our ingredients can be sourced within the United States because of quantity or quality issues."  Funny, but other companies have been able to source their ingredients here.  They gave examples of ingredients being purchased from New Zealand and Canada, but if I were going to use this food, I would want to know that none came from China, or any other country where the ingredients might be suspected of being tainted, so it may be worth asking them the direct question. 

• Puppy
    Hey there, I have been looking around for info on Berkely and Jensen dog food too recently, and I actually came across this forum!!! We switched our dog to BJ’s, and then I got worried about it too, since all I saw was the same info on google, so I did two things. I called customer service last week and also posted the ingredients on Dogster where I have a profile for my dog too. So far, the ingredients are getting thumbs up from dogster people, and according to BJ’s customer service, the holistic food they sell now is not made by Mars. They said the manufacturer is based here in the US and that BJ’s was really concerned about getting a quality food since their old food was recalled. Our dachshund SuzyQ is doing well on it, and she loves it. The kibble size also works great, since it’s on the smaller side. Here are the ingredients since I had already typed them up. It’s not grain-free, but it has good grains (or so I’ve learned on dogster): Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Rice, Oats, Rice Bran, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Herring Meal, Natural Flavors, Dried Egg Product, Dried Blueberries, Dried Spinach, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Fish Oil (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Sodium Selenite, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Rosemary Extract
    • Gold Top Dog

I emailed BJs as well and found out the following info:

The manufacturer of the Berkeley & Jensen All Natural (holistic) Dog
    Food is Global One Pet. Their customer service tel #: is 949-614-8193.

I may try this food for Jake.