Expensive versus cheap dog food.

• Gold Top Dog

he loves those treats! So thank you.

• Gold Top Dog

OK, friendly people please analyze this. Look at it from a breed, allergy, low thyroid dog perspective.

Chicken meal, brown rice, oatmeal, chicken fat, barley, rice, natural chicken flavor, pork meal, soy protein isolate, sodium silico aluminate, wheat gluten meal, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), powdered cellulose, anchovy oil (source of EPA/DHA), soya oil, potassium chloride, salt, calcium carbonate, dried egg product, sodium tripolyphosphate, DL-methionine, L-tyrosine, taurine, dried brewers yeast extract (source of mannan-oligosaccharides), Vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], choline chloride, glucosamine hydrochloride, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], tea (green tea extract), chondroitin sulfate, rosemary extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E) and citric acid.

• Gold Top Dog

Truely-- I have not read all of the posts in this thread, but having a dog with allergy issues, I would stay away from this food---too many potential allergens: barley, soy protein, wheat gluten meal,soya oil, brewer's yeast,egg product, and believe it or not, rosemary.  Also keep in mind that chicken, itself, can be an allergen for some dogs as well as rice, (mine can't eat either of those), even oatmeal.  Another thing to keep in mind is that if your dog is sensitive or allergic to wheat (I can't recall if he is or not), he may have issues with barley---a very close cousin to wheat, and can cause many of the same reactions that wheat does.

You may need to try an elimination diet for 12 weeks to help in zero in on his triggers.  I know how frustrating it is to find the perfect food for a dog with health issues and I wish you luck.

• Gold Top Dog

Truley

OK, friendly people please analyze this. Look at it from a breed, allergy, low thyroid dog perspective.

Chicken meal, brown rice, oatmeal, chicken fat, barley, rice, natural chicken flavor, pork meal, soy protein isolate, sodium silico aluminate, wheat gluten meal, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), powdered cellulose, anchovy oil (source of EPA/DHA), soya oil, potassium chloride, salt, calcium carbonate, dried egg product, sodium tripolyphosphate, DL-methionine, L-tyrosine, taurine, dried brewers yeast extract (source of mannan-oligosaccharides), Vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], choline chloride, glucosamine hydrochloride, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], tea (green tea extract), chondroitin sulfate, rosemary extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E) and citric acid.

Dont' know a lot of those ingredients.... but by a quick glance the only thing I don't like is the wheat gluten meal...ever since the recall of all those gluten products. 

But it does have a lot of ingredients for an allergy dog.......   but does it work for him?

• Gold Top Dog

That list is from Royal Canin's German Shepherd formula....I was scratching my head over that. I personally, could never buy a product that is said to be breed specific....

• Puppy

Nobody will burn you. My dog receives Purina Pro Plan sensitive skin and stomach food. The "high end" meals I tested did nothing but make poor Kord itch worse. Food made by Purina isn't horrible.

• Bronze

I feed my dog Farmina n&d and it is a really good food for my Dog, and for the price, it is not too expensive or too cheap and any dog owner can give it a try.