please help! scooting after neuter

• Gold Top Dog

please help! scooting after neuter

hey everybody,
    Luke got neutered today. He seems to be doing ok, but he keeps scooting his butt on the ground - almost as if he's trying to itch the area. I'm trying to keep him from licking it. He didn't get stitches. I'm wondering if I can give him some benadryl to help with the itching. If it's not itching that's causing the problem, maybe the benadryl will help him calm down. he's not on any pain meds.
    your help would really be appreciated. I'm trying not to worry [:(]

PS - I know that scooting is often associated with anal gland problems . . . but he's never done this before so I don't think that's the problem.
    • Gold Top Dog
    you can give benadryl but you will have to check the dose..might be good to ask your vet..this is not unusual..it depends where the incision is..I don;t inow why he would scoot  unless the incicion is in the back...but this will pass..just keep him from licking
    • Gold Top Dog

Benadryl (tablets or liquid w/no alcohol or artifical sweetner) -[size=2]
    Dosage:   [size=2]1-2mg/lb of body weight 2-4 times/day
    [/size][/size]
    • Gold Top Dog
    Thanks for the advice you guys.  I gave him some benadryl and it really seemed to help calm him down and stop the scooting.  Then he started licking . . . so I made him a collar to stop that.  He was still very still and quiet this morning . . . hopefully he'll be feeling better tonight.
    Does anybody have a recommendation for something I might be able to put on the incision to keep him from licking it so I can try taking the collar off?  I know that they sell creams - but I'm broke at the moment after paying for the surgery.  FYI:  I made him a collar like this out of a towel, some cardboard and some tape:
    [linkhttp://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL68/916947/2331552/26899433.jpg]http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL68/916947/2331552/26899433.jpg[/link]
    • Gold Top Dog
    You could try a doggie diaper if he doesn't decide to eat it.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I love your homemade collar!! What a great idea. Very resourceful. I don't know what you could use as a deterrent for licking, just keep the collar on. My dog was fine after a couple days as far as wanting to lick. I took his collar off on the 3rd day, but kept a close eye. I did make him wear to collar for a few extra nights when I couldn't watch him though.

Cute puppy!
    • Gold Top Dog
    after coco got spayed, she started scooting for the first time ever.

we figured since she had to wear a collar, and if she wasnt, i was preventing her from even going around her private areas, she couldnt groom herself, and hence, got itchy..

that's what the vet said at least... lol
    • Gold Top Dog
    Some dogs are sensitive to the surgical experience.  Has he had a bowel movement since?  Some dogs will "hold it", thus they don't express the sacs as they would normally - also they can simply be itchy.  If the benadryl worked, it's the latter, most probably.  I would leave the collar on as long as he is apt to go after the sutures - things can get very ugly and expensive when dogs pull stitches.  You can take it off when you are directly supervising him, so he gets a breather, then put it back.  BTW, I like the idea of the homemade collar, too - very resourceful indeed. [:)]