toenail split, what to do?

• Bronze

toenail split, what to do?

My 11 month old mixed breed dog came in the house the other day and one of her toenails was split in half (upward) and bleeding.  She cleaned it up that evening and the bleeding stopped.  It didnt seem to bother her for a couple day so I just kept watching it.  It happened about a week ago now and I noticed in the last couple days that she's been limping on it.  I wonder if it is infected.  How do you tell?  Is there something I can do to help her?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    • Gold Top Dog
    If the toe nail is discolored, ie black, when it is normally white I would take her to the vet to be checked out. A split nail can cause problems especially if it is infected. She may also have a broken toe.

And if her nail is normally black, I would look for swelling or any deformation that doesn't look like her normal self.
    • Gold Top Dog
    i would opt for a vet check to maybe cut the darn thing off so it can heal without a lot of discomfort...
    • Gold Top Dog
    a
    • Gold Top Dog
    I had a pit bull who split her nail like that.  Amazingly, it didn't seem to cause her any discomfort, but it sure looked nasty.  I took her to the vet and he cut it off.
    • Bronze
    Thanks for the advise.  I took her to the vet and he snipped it off...ouch!!!  She's bandaged up and on antibiotics for a week.  I'm glad I went.  Vet said it could easily have gotten infected and would never heal the way it was.  Time to heal!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Glad you went to the Vet.

This happened the week before xmas with my Westie girl... It happened on a friday and I thought everything was okay after I got  the bleeding stopped. By Sunday night I slightly touched it wrong and she about went through the ceiling screaming.
    They had to do surgery on it that Monday and remove it ....it had a crack I couldn't see way up at the base going across the blood line that feeds the nail.

It is JUST NOW starting to not bother her...its been a long road with her wanting to lick it after the bandages came off....
    • Gold Top Dog
    Thanks for the advise. I took her to the vet and he snipped it off...ouch!!! She's bandaged up and on antibiotics for a week. I'm glad I went. Vet said it could easily have gotten infected and would never heal the way it was. Time to heal!

YES!  We had a lab who never had a sign of anything wrong and noticed her nail was split (weeks?) after it happened.  It ended up gettting infected, and she had to have an operation.  And $$$ antibiotics.  Years later she ended up having to have it removed.