Cocker with ear infection, walking sideways!

• Bronze

Cocker with ear infection, walking sideways!

I have a 7yo cocker who has never had ear problems until the last 2 years.  Within the last 2 years, I've dealt with maintaining his ears and keeping them clean as they can swell and ooze. At worst, they get red, smell, hurt him and ooze.  He just spent 5 days at a pet resort as I was out of town (he has been here before and is also where he gets groomed).  When I picked him up and brought him home, he is hanging his head to the side where the ear is oozing (this ear was ok when I left him).  He can't walk straight, is falling down and running into walls!  An ear infection has never affected his equilibrium before!  I can rub his ear and it is slightly red and swollen, but really doesn't look too extreme and has been worse before.  I am more worried why he's hanging his head sideways, can't walk straight and is falling down!  He even turned down a treat which has never happened.  I will take him to the vet Monday but am very worried and curious if anyone experienced anything like this before.  
    • Gold Top Dog
    My lab used to get ear infections on a regular basis and even constant cleaning only helped keep the lid on infections.  I changed foods last year and she's been problem free.  Not saying that's what's going on with your cocker, but it might be something to consider.  It could also be that he reacted to an allergen at the pet resort and it put everything over the top.  I'm glad that you have an appt with the vet tomorrow.  It sounds like it might be a deep infection and possibly need antibiotics to clear up.  Be sure to have the vet culture the ear so you're sure you're treating the right thing (bacteria vs. yeast).  I know that these infections can be absolutely miserable for dogs and cause lots of side effects like you're seeing.  You might try giving some Benadryl to get him through until tomorrow.  You can give 1-2mg per lb, up to 3 times per day.  
    • Bronze
    Thanks for the help.  Its strange because his ear isn't hurting him.  The one time it really got infected, if you rubbed his ears he would yelp.  I can rub and squeeze as much as I want and he's fine.  I'm beginning to think its more than his ear.  His legs are shaky and he's acting a bit weird, its like he's traumatized or something!  He's always acted like normal even with an ear infection. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    Well, I tend to worry about signs like that.  Is there any way you could get him in for a quick check at the emergency clinic today?  Is it possible he ingested something toxic while at the pet resort?  Since he wasn't with you for a few days, I'd be concerned that either something has/had been developing for a few days or he's gotten into something.  It still could be a very deep ear infection but I'd be worried about what else it might be.  Good luck to you.  I know how frustrating it is when stuff like this happens on the weekends and you can't get into your regular vet.  
    • Gold Top Dog
    Yeah, honestly I wouldn't wait til Monday.  Are his eyes ok?  He's not flicking his eyes back and forth?  It almost sounds like old dog vestibular, but no, this sounds almost more like liver toxicity or something.

As for the ears, have you tried the Blue Power Ear solution??  Get him diagnosed FIRST, but I've had incredibly good luck with the BPEar stuff - but you gotta do it exactly as it says (Google:

"blue power ear" dog

and you'll get a ton of very consistent hits.  But don't do that until you get a vet to culture the ears and figure this out.

You've got too many grave symptoms there when combined with stomach upset.  HOnestly -- e-vet time if you can.
    • Gold Top Dog
    did you call the vet? or ASPCA help 888-426-4435 I think they charge for the call though.
    sending prayers all is well.
    I have a cockapoo and he got into a philadrom plant cut and the sap was out.  He had temp blindness and was running into the walls and acting delirious and foming at the mouth not sure if same thing calmed him and gave him some food which he wanted. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    Of course they may not be the same at all, but I thought i would pass this on.  Two years ago  come June I was fixing  breakfast for my 3 dogs.  KayCee, my 4 1/2 year old golden retriever got up and then dumped over forward and to the left.  She struggled, but had a hard time getting up and she kept jerking her head to the left.  I thought SEIZURE, and ran towards the bedroom to throw an old muumuu house dress on over my night shirt.  She had gotten up and follwed, staggering to the left, running into the hall wall, and then dumping over again at my bedroom doorway.  It had only been 8 months since I lost her littermate brother, Hunter, to autoimmune hemolytic anemia following his ProHeart6 injection and i was terrfied I was losing her. 

I got her up and she still staggered, but not as bad and I got her in the car and rushed the mile to my vet.  She was walking pretty good by the time we went in--I was a mess, that old house thing thrown  on over my night shirt, hair going every which way, tears streaming.  They were m ore worried about me than about my girl.

Well, it turns out she had what my vet called a vertigo episode do to inner ear infection.  To look at her ear  you would not know there was a thing wrong with it.  The infections was so deep.  They put drops in her ear and gave me drops to put in plus antibiotics.  She never had another episode and her ear cleared up real quick.

I sure hope you get to the bottom of your baby's problem and soon.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Is it possible he ingested something toxic while at the pet resort?

Most reputable kennels (resorts or whatever) would never allow any animal to come in contact with toxic substances. I find it a little hard to believe that it would be due to his kennel stay and easier to believe that he may have a inner ear problem. Inner ear problems are much different than middle or outter ear infections. Pressure can build up which affects equalibrium. This may be the root of your "ear infection" problems surfacing. I would insist my vet do a thorough exam with some diagnostics for inner ear problems/tumors etc.

NDR - My brother had an inner ear tumor. The symptoms surfaced seemingly overnight, but had had middle ear infections almost his whole life. He suddenly became almost inable to stand without feeling as if he was "drunk". He had trouble focusing, walking, determining distance, basic movements became deliberate and slow. He went to the dr. and they had to run alot of test before they found the tumor, which they removed and he hasn't had ANY problems since (not even an ear infection).
    • Gold Top Dog
    KK, I am glad your brother is doing just fine.  After this happened to KayCee someone was telling me that they had an an inner ear infection and couldn't walk a straight line.  I was so terrified that morning with KayCee
    • Bronze
    Well I took him in to the emergency vet today and he seems to think it is due to an inner ear infection.  He is keeping him overnight and going in with a scope first thing in the morning to clean everything out.  I am sure hoping that is the problem and he is better tomorrow.  Many of the above posts about inner ear problems have the same symptoms as Bailey, so lets hope this works!  
    • Puppy
    With his history of ear problems I would think inner ear infection would be the most likely explanation.  I had a St. Bernard who was just as you describe, and the diagnosis was inner ear infection and it was cleared up with antibiotics.  It wouldn't likely be old dog vestibular syndrome as the average age of onset of this is 12.5 years.
    • Gold Top Dog
    just checking in to see how that wonderful baby of yours is doing.
    sending all good things to you.
    • Gold Top Dog
    how is your furbaby doing? Sending licks and wags (and a big hug to you too, as this can be so scary)
    • Puppy

Immerse yourself in the electrifying thrill and exhilaration like never before - don't miss out on the golden chance to be a part of the free games excitement today!