Sneezing and snorting.

• Puppy

Sneezing and snorting.

We took our dog ( jack russel terrier mix) in for his checkup and another canine bordetella vaccine. It has been six months six his last one.  About 10 days after his checkup we put him in a kennel for a week while we were on vacation. When we picked him up this past Saturday I noticed he was sneezing with a clear discharge ( like water) when he sneezed. He also, every so often, snorts or gags like he may have sinus problems?  Could this be from the bordetella vaccine or could he have still gotten kennel cough although he was vacinated twice, six months apart?  We also had him bathed before we picked him up, he has never had this done at a groomer before.   Thanks in advance. We are planning a visit to his vet again to have him checked out.
    • Gold Top Dog
    From what I've read, the Bordatella vaccine is similar to the human flu shot.  It protects against most common types of viruses, but can't protect against every single one.  I think it could be possible he picked up kennel cough.  That's not necessarily something to be alarmed about if he did.  It's much like our cold virus and most dogs can fight it off without antibiotics.  It might be worth getting it checked though to rule out anything else.
    • Puppy
    Cathy,
    Thank you for your time and response. His sneezing has seemed to stop but this snorting type behavior he has has gotten worse. 
    We have an appointment today at 3 with his vet.
    Thanks again!
    Pam

• Puppy
    We were told by our Vet that our dog had "reverse sneezing" I did some research and this is what I found out. I feel this was possible caused by leaving him for a week at the kennel?  Since we have been home he has been stuck by our sides and will not let us get out of his sight. His "sneezing" seems to be getting better. [:)]

Reverse Sneezing

This is a misnomer, for it has nothing to do with actual sneezing. However, it is a popular term for something that appears to be worse than it actually is. When this occurs, your dog will appear to be snorting or choking. The posture will be one of the neck extended with the chest expanded, as the dog struggles to take in air. The actual physiology is that the trachea has narrowed and the normal amount of air is not able to enter the lungs. The triggering mechanisms are usually excitement or stress. If this is happening to your dog, do not panic. You can help your dog by soothingly stroking the upper throat area to encourage relaxation and dilation of the trachea. If things do not resolve soon, and the dog is really having a continued hard time, you can try depressing the tongue to open up the oral cavity for the passage of much needed air into the lungs. The predisposition to this is thought to be hereditary, particularly in smaller breeds because of the decreased diameter of their tracheas. If your dog occasionally has this, do not worry that you need to be there to help each time it happens. A dog is able to come out of an attack of reverse sneezing without help and will not suffer permanent damage. Contributed by Barbara Moore's Veterinarian
    • Gold Top Dog
    First I just have to say that your picture is adorable!

The description you posted about reverse sneezing sounds similar to a problem my parents' dog, Gypsy, has had most of her life. She gets attacks probably once a day or so and sounds like she's sneezing/snorting. She's about to be 9 and she's had this since she was little. They took her to the vet years ago and were told that she had flap in her nose or the back of her throat that caused this. The vet said it could be cleared up with surgery, but the condition wasn't life threatening, so my parents didn't do it.

I don't know why your dog would have developed something like this all of the sudden, but it sounds similar. If it is the same thing, I can understand why you'd be worried, because I still run over to Gypsy when I hear her doing it to make sure she's ok. Hope your little guy is alright!
    • Gold Top Dog
    I've actually seen (or heard) quite a few dogs do this, including my older lab mix.  She generally does a few "happy sneezes" when we first get home, go out to play, or whatever, but sometimes she does has a reverse sneezing episode.  Somehow I'd heard about it years ago, so never worried about it.  I'm glad it wasn't anything serious.
    • Gold Top Dog
    One of my dogs recently picked up a "cold" for lack of a better word, I have no idea if that is what it actually was, but it involved sneezing (regular sneezing) along with some nasal discharge, sometimes clear and sometimes white.  And for a few days he was also making a "noise".  What it actually sounded like, and forgive the gross description, but it sounded as though he was attempting to inhale snot through a very congested nose.  And in fact, that is exactly what I believe was happening.  I took him to the Vet and she asked if I thought what he was doing might be a reverse sneeze.  I told her that I had heard of a reverse sneeze but I didn't know what it sounded like.  Soooo, my Vet did her best human imitation of what a canine reverse sneeze sounds and looks like.  This best describes what my Vet attempted to demonstrate:  "...a series of vigorous intakes of breath through the nose, often accompanied by your dog's head bobbing up and down."  My Vet even did the head-bobbing thing.  But that was not at all what my dog was doing, so I then attempted to imitate his "nose-noise", which looked and sounded even more stupid and it got all three of us (including the Vet Tech) cracking up. [color=#000000]Anyway, we came to the conclusion that my dog was not doing a reverse sneeze.  The main risk with a "cold" or "kennel cough" type of illness is that it could develop into an upper respiratory infection.  Since my dog was already on antibiotics due to a dental that was performed a few days earlier, that wasn't too much of a concern for us, however my Vet was a bit concerned that some bacteria might have entered his lungs during the dental.  Fortunately, radiographs did not reveal any indication of that happening and my dog has since gotten much better has nearly completely recovered.[/color] Sorry for going on and on, but it was interesting to see this topic here after having just recently gone through this.  I had a dog several years ago who got kennel cough quite frequently (even with a Bordatella vaccination), but this recent experience with my current dog was not at all like that.  His symptoms were, basically, just like a human snotty-nose cold.