furminator vs shed ender

• Gold Top Dog

furminator vs shed ender

Does anyone know the difference between these two? (shedender.com--I saw in on TV and ordered one online) From the pictures they seem like they're the same type of product. I just spent over 45 minutes using the shed ender on Odin and I could probably do it all day, but hair just keeps coming out! I've had a lot of Norwegian Elkhounds in my life, but I've never seen one shed like this. I'm just trying to find out what would be best to use on him. Loki does not shed quite as bad.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I don't know much about your type dogs (except they're gorgeous), but are they double-coated?  I've heard that the Furminator is not as good with double-coated breeds.  Eskies are double-coated, so I just use an undercoat rake and have nooooooooo problem getting out plenty of hair.
    • Gold Top Dog
    What a cutie! It looks like you have two dogs. [:D]

Elkhounds are double coated. I've never tried an undercoat rake, maybe I'll have to pick one up. No matter what kind of brush I use, I get endless amounts of hair out of them.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Sioux has a very thick undercoat, and I find that tools like shedender and furminator tend to break the guard hairs, so, while they thin the coat, it doesn't look good.  I prefer to use an undercoat rake, too.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Yes, the undercoat rake that seems to do the best for Dakota is the one with two rows of teeth.  I got both of mine at Jeffers, but I'm sure you can get them elsewhere. I guess you'll have to since there is an indefinite backorder at Jeffers for these. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    Furminator didn't work for my double coated boy either- it cut he guard hairs off and never got down into the undercoat. I love the undercoat rake! Get the one with roating and retracting pins. You will probably love it.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I agree...... undercoat rake all the way. They are awesome for those double coats. I do find that the hair gets really full of static and sticks to everything when I use an undercoat rake, but spraying the hair with a leav-in conditioner such as miracle coat seems to help. I just spray and rake, spray and rake.

Hey bamaeskie,
    Your picture is a familar scene.[:D] I must try to get Marley to lay with her hair pile after raking, then we can compare pictures!

• Gold Top Dog
    Another vote for an undercoat rake here.  Have you tried blowing their coat?  I got a ton of hair out of Mick by using our shop vac on exhaust and back combing him at the same time.  Some people on the Elkhound list I'm on use the blowers that groomers have, but they're pretty pricey, and a human hairdryer isn't powefull enough.  Another good grooming tool (to remove dead top coat) is a shedding blade.  We used them all the time on the Elhounds we had on the farm.
    • Puppy
    Yep we use the rake too!  Seems to work the best of us.
    • Bronze
    I find the rake to be great as well
    • Bronze
    I got the furminator two days ago, and it works great but... my little mo is not a doublecoated dog so I can only speak for it being used on him. He is short haired and it works amazing. I couldnt believe the amount of hair it got off. I wish I had taken a picture of it! I now don't leave the house with a beautiful coat of dog hair[:D]
    • Gold Top Dog
    I took everyone's advice and got an undercoat rake. Wow! It works great. I haven't found anything that takes the hair off of Loki like this. I've been brushing Odin so much since we got him 3 months ago that I think we lost a whole dog (no one brushed him before), but the rake still got hair out of him! Thanks for the help.[:D]