Puppy Not Interested in ANY Food

• Silver

Puppy Not Interested in ANY Food

Hey, all,

My puppy boy (~7 months old Husky/Malamute/GSD mix) has decided that he doesn't care for food. Meaning any food. He stopped touching his raw. Okay, so after a hunger strike, we tried kibble. Nope. Not interested in chicken. Not interested in even the smelliest of foods/treats.

Nothing else is wrong. No lethargy. No vomiting. No diarrhea. He's drinking and playing with all the same energy--just VERY reluctantly eating 1/3rd of what he was just 2 weeks or so ago.

He is currently intact. We do not free feed and never have. He's always eaten enthusiastically before. We've tried feeding out of different bowls, on the floor, on his snuffle mat. Nothing encourages him.

A friend of mine mentioned that it can be normal for intact male adolescents to lose interest in food. Is this common? Should I be worried?

• Bronze

A sudden disinterest in food may mean your puppy is sick, perhaps intestinal woes. If you suspect something may be wrong, make an appointment with your puppy's veterinarian. If your puppy eats other kinds of food (like wet food or snacks) and refuses to touch his dry food, he may just be a picky eater. If your puppy is not eating his dry food, you may want to mix a small amount of wet food into your puppy's regular dry food to make it more appealing. You can also try moistening the dry food using three parts kibble and one part warm water.

• Puppy

Add canned food or chicken broth, put puppy food into an interactive toy, use a flavored spray, buy a new food bowl, take your puppy for a walk. Looking for attractive bowls check out this- https://www.pridemypet.com/