great dane with elevated liver enzymes and anemia

• Puppy

great dane with elevated liver enzymes and anemia

hello, I am new to this site so if I post in wrong area, Im sorry. I have an 8 year old Great Dane. He has been not eating well and losing weight. I got him into the vets and they did blood work. It showed elevated liver enzymes and anemia. He also had a high fever. The vet thinks it may be a infection and put him on antibiotics or lymphoma.. I am praying for the infection. I can not get him to eat dog food of any kind anymore. But he still will eat fresh cooked meat anything he thinks I will eat.. So I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions of what kind of foods I could feed him to help with his anemia and lower his liver enzmes.
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Hi, I had a Great Dane too. I would consult your vet on this they would know best. I hope he is ok.

• Gold Top Dog

There CAN be such a thing as  a liver infection (a bacterial one) but the anemia requires special attention because such an infection can then trigger something even more nasty like IMHA (Immune-mediated Hemolytic Anemia).  Watch your boy carefully and if  he doesn't respond talk to your vet about going directly to a vet school.  They can be the best place to diagnose something tricky that can also be fatal.