Questions about hair bows

• Bronze

Questions about hair bows

One, do people put bows on male dogs too? Or is it female dog thing?

Two, how do you train a dog to leave it in their hair? I put a hairtie in my dogs hair and it was out in about 3 minutes. How do you train them to leave it in?
    • Gold Top Dog
    I've often seen male dogs go home with a bandana around the neck instead of a bow. Of course, they sometimes did that with my female dog as well, but either way I think it looks cute and classy without being to "frou frou." Not that bows aren't nice too sometimes, of course! [:D]

When my dogs have come home from the groomer, their bows were always attached to their collars.
    • Gold Top Dog
    If I had a dog with coat, regardless of gender, it would wear at least one bow. I just love bows on dogs. For a boy, I might put it on his chest (like a bow tie!) or the top of his head. Maybe even on his hip. For a girl, it'd be on her ears.

I dunno about training them. Grooming bands tend to stay on, pretty well, if you put them on right (and the dog has enough coat).
    • Gold Top Dog
    At my shop, every dog gets a bandana, but only female dogs get bows, either in their topknot, or where the ear joins the head.  I have read it is acceptable to put bows on the hips of male poodles.  I personally think bows on male dogs look rather dorky.  I am referring only to the PET dogs I groom.  Toy show dogs look fine with bows.[:)]

Hey, has anyone tried barettes?  I want to order some cute spring-themed ones.  Do they work just as well, or better?
    • Gold Top Dog
    Bows on boys or girls are darling. Life is short, have fun! I have MANY MANY MANY barrettes and bows. Huge collection. I use a no damage elastic band from Walgreens. Then I put the bow on. I have put little clips on my bows. Just make sure it is not too tight and take them out before bedtime.

I started Trudy out very young. When the bow came out, I put it in again. She is used to it. 
    • Bronze
    I usually let the pet parent decide if they want bows on males or females. If it's my decision, I will use a bow on a male if his head (topknot) is left long, as some are and if the dog is very young. We use what is called grooming bands, they look like the bands people with braces on their teeth need, they're very small and don't break the hair as bad. they seem to stay in better too. use only a small section of hair in the band and take care not to get it too tight. if the pet is really good with getting the bows out, I'll put a plain band in first, then put the bow in.
    • Puppy
    If the topknot is too tight with a bow, it can cause them to paw at it or rub against things a lot more. The little female dogs look real cute with them.
    • Puppy

**content removed**

Sorry if I write something wrong...I'm from next country! Kamilla

no sales or links to sales allowed, thank you

• Gold Top Dog

Would you put a bow in a corgis hair? Not a top knot, but maybe her ears. Shes pretty hairy.

• Puppy
    Hello, I'm making bows for Yorkshire Terriers,Maltese,Shih-Tzu and some more dog breeds. My bows are handmade ;) If you want to see picture of my bows,let my know ;) :)