Ruptured Anterior (Cranial) Cruciate Ligament

• Gold Top Dog

Ruptured Anterior (Cranial) Cruciate Ligament

This is what Abby has, and will need surgery.

I have to think on this for a bit.  If anyone has had a dog that went through this, I would love to hear about it.  Abby is 8 yrs old and weighs 15 lbs.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog
    I am sorry to hear this, however due to her size you have a lot of options. I posted in your previous post some links to a Yahoo group and their FB page - both will be helpful for you.

At her size and age you likely can go with the traditional or suture surgery. Bugsy had a TPLO but that is overkill for a 15lb dog.

Getting a good & very experienced surgeon is super important and ask about infection rates. Post-op the first 8 weeks are very restricted. I don't really know the rest of the rehab restrictions for the trad surgery.

Post -op it's important that she is on non-slip surfaces, their footing is often off for a while.

Hugs for you both, it's a long process but totally worth it. If the knee is unstable arthritis advances very quickly

• Gold Top Dog

I agree with Karen that you can probably do the less extensive surgical option. I am not any kind of expert on the subject and only know what little I learned from my own dog's experience.  I had an 11 year old Lab who tore hers and we did the TPLO because, for her, it was the best option.  Getting a good orthopedic surgeon on the case is your best bet.  It's not something you need to rush into so take your time deciding what to do.  I'm sorry it's not better news for Abbey but it is fixable and that's a good thing.   Check out the pages Karen posted but don't get discouraged by the people who post the worst case scenarios.  They can get you down for no reason.

• Gold Top Dog

Bichons are prone to this.  I've no direct experience, but have followed several dogs through this on the bichon forum.  The rest period after the surgery is long and a MUST.  The dogs recover well and go on to live normal bouncing bichon lives.  Oh wait, Abby may not want a bichon life, lol.

• Bronze

My Pixie was 8 years old when she tore her CCL.  At first we strongly considered surgery but after reading some of the messages on the Yahoo/Conservative Management group website, we tried crate rest instead.  Pixie's age and size (12 lbs) worked in her favor, and she was able to make a complete recovery without the cost and pain of surgery.  We were very motivated and strict about following the rules for crate rest, so I'm sure that helped too.  Basically this includes:

- For the first 8 weeks, strict confinement to a crate, especially when not actively supervised.  Potty breaks consisted of slow walks on a short leash, limited to 5 minutes each if possible.  We had 2 crates set up - one in the bedroom and the other in the family room, so Pixie wouldn't feel left out during her recuperation.  Needless to say, she was not a happy camper but we were tough and refused to give in.

- No running, jumping, or stairs.  We live in a 2 story house, so every time Pixie had to use the stairs, she was carried.  No jumping on furniture - if she wanted up, we lifted her, and then held her so that she could not jump down by herself.

- Wood floors were covered with cheap runners and rugs to prevent slipping.  For the entire 6 months it took Pixie to fully recover, our house did not look fit for visitors.

- No playing with other dogs or people.

- We taped our doorbell so that Pixie could not hear visitors arrive.  This did not prevent Pixie from having an oops moment when one of the kids opened the door before we could grab her.  An oops moment (in Pixie's case, dashing to the door in greeting and coming up lame) will set your dog back (to Chapter 1 of Crate Rest 101 for a couple of weeks), but not to worry, almost every dog will have one.  Just as long as it's not more than one, he/she will eventually be fine.

After the first 8 weeks are up, your dog's leg should appear to be almost normal (no limping, little or no toe-touching, gait seems even), in which case you can loosen the rules v-e-e-r-r-r-y gradually.  But as we learned, an oops usually occurs during the later rehab period when the dog has more freedom, so one still must be watchful. It took us almost the full 6 month rehab period to allow Pixie to roam freely in the house and yard without a leash and to finally put away the crates.

Conservative management may not be an option for a dog who is medium size or larger, or younger and more active.  But because your dog is similar to Pixie in terms of size and age, it may be worthwhile for you to look into Conservative Management.  If after 8 weeks or so you do not see meaningful improvement, you can always opt for surgery.  

• Bronze

twitch, the white dog in my signature, just went thru traditional suture surgery to repair a torn cruciate ligament. after 6 mons of futzing around with meds, rest, massage therapy, arthritis therapies, I was so glad there was a diagnosis and a solution. he is 9ish yrs old and about 42 lbs. he is my first agility dog and was in great shape when his injury occurred. it is now 2 weeks after surgery. we had the stitches out last thurs.  I, and his vet, think he is doing great. he is going on short walks and starting to put weight on his foot. he may never run agility again- I was close to retiring him anyway-but I can only  imagine his quality of life will be so much better. before the operation I did sign up for pet assurance, it cost me $150, but it saved me almost $300 on the surgery and will be good for a discount on almost everything at this vet. your vet/surgeon does have to be part of the program. good luck.

• Gold Top Dog

I don't have any personal experience with this type of injury (or surgery/treatment options), but I wanted to send some good wishes to Abby!

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks guys for the words and experiences.

Abby goes for surgery this coming Wednesday. I am thinking positive, I look at her now and I know it is the best thing to do, the last thing I want is her back getting messed up, because of the way she is walking and trying to balance on three legs all the time.

My DH told me, she will never be able to play frisbe like she loves to do, but I can just see her carrying her special one around, showing it off!  One day at a time, is my mind set.

We have had a few people say, why do anything-why invest that kind of money, and others that have said leave it alone she will get by.  But, I guess we want the best for her and this happening so close to me losing Ms Pella, it scares me.

Thank you Rufftie for your post, I was trying to figure out how she will be after surgery for awhile, you gave me somewhat of an idea.  My vet told me that this is a common thing in small dogs and they do fine after corrective surgery.  I am going with that mindset. 

• Gold Top Dog

If this helps you ... I get a lot of that (even from relatives ... er ... sometimes **especially** them).

"Why invest that kind of money" -- Answer:  This is not an "investment" - that's my 401-k -- an investment is to make money.  THIS is just the right thing to do.  If I had a knee problem I'd take care of it.  She needs it ... we'll do it because it makes sense. ?"

"Why put her through that?" -- Answer:  You go *through* something to get to the other side.  If this was something like cancer where we knew she would just increase in pain and eventually die ... with "waiting" only being for ME?? No ... this is something we do to **fix** something.  She goes through a relatively easy surgery so she comes through it on the other side with 4 feet on the ground rather than 3.  If we *don't* do the surgery it will increase her pain and probably the vet visits.  she needs it ... we'll do it because it makes sense."

We all have buttinsky's that want to micromanage OUR finances and OUR decisions about our dogs.  

For me? the one that really riles me up is the "why put them through it" one .. but then, I've had arthritis since I was a kid, psoriasis so bad that toast will slice my skin ... and someone gives me a hard time about "fixing" something on my dog??  I want to turn around and say to them "so ... were in all the arthritis and other health issues *I* have would you have put ME to sleep? hmmmm??"

*grin* yeah -- I can get actually a bit snarky about that (particularly in real life) -- how you spend your money is YOUR business.  You shouldn't have to RE-justify something to acquaintences and family that you guys have already decided to do .... 

Good for you -- "one day at a time" is the RIGHT mind-set.

• Gold Top Dog

We all have buttinsky's that want to micromanage OUR finances and OUR decisions about our dogs.   (and life in general!  LOL)  Thanks for your words.

This is our Abby.........

• Gold Top Dog

Ohhhhhhhhhh - that much CUTENESS hurts my eyes LOL  (rolm behind off).

Gosh she's cute -- and that orange blanket is just sooooooooooooooooooo perfect in contrast!!

Little dogs DO have more problem.  My pug .. ever since shew was about 2, takes a Standard Process supplement "Ligaplex II" -- with it she's fine.  Without it she's chewing her back knee a LOT.  

With her it's interesting -- pugs tend to have patellar problems (different from ACL but not that far removed) and we've watched this for ages.  She can be a total hellion ... (don't look at that oh so innocent face LOL) but here about 3 years ago she STOPPED jumping up to heights.  (it was about the time the biting her knee started) -- and she just doesn't exceed what she knows she can do.  

THAT is unusual.  But then -- La Pug really doesn't liek to do anything ... painful ... if we can avoid pain .. why that is ... nice!!  (Sometimes I wonder if she IS a real dog LOL -- they're supposed to be stoid.  ..... um ... not La Pug!)

• Gold Top Dog

Well, we are going on the third week after her surgery.  I don't see the improvement I thought I would see.  She still holds her hind leg up and wants to hop instead of walk.  I lease walk her and make her go real slow so she has to use all four legs to walk.  There is alot of cracking noise in her hind leg (they told me it was the joint and will probably always do that.)    She if feeling good, wants to play with Freida real bad, but I don't let her. She also wants to go up on the couch and the only way I let up there, is if I put her there and supervisor her the whole time.

Carrying her up and down the steps is so hard, I swear she has gained weight and is heavier now. (I wonder how till I keep this up for 5 more weeks without my back going out!)

I just hope she will be fine in another few weeks, I can tell she is sad over not being able to play or go up on the bed.  But I am sticking to my guns . I just worry about the stress all this puts on her other little leg.

Thanks for listening.

• Puppy

@luv3dogs

My Pixie was 8 years old when she tore her CCL. At first we strongly considered surgery but after reading some of the messages on the Yahoo/Conservative Management group website, we tried crate rest instead. Pixie's age and size (12 lbs) worked in her favor, and she was able to make a complete recovery without the cost and pain of surgery. We were very motivated and strict about following the rules for crate rest, so I'm sure that helped too. Basically this includes: - For the first 8 weeks, strict confinement to a crate, especially when not actively supervised. Potty breaks consisted of slow walks on a short leash, limited to 5 minutes each if possible. We had 2 crates set up - one in the bedroom and the other in the family room, so Pixie wouldn't feel left out during her recuperation. Needless to say, she was not a happy camper but we were tough and refused to give in. - No running, jumping, or stairs. We live in a 2 story house, so every time Pixie had to use the stairs, she was carried. No jumping on furniture - if she wanted up, we lifted her, and then held her so that she could not jump down by herself. - Wood floors were covered with cheap runners and rugs to prevent slipping. For the entire 6 months it took Pixie to fully recover, our house did not look fit for visitors. - No playing with other dogs or people. - We taped our doorbell so that Pixie could not hear visitors arrive. This did not prevent Pixie from having an oops moment when one of the kids opened the door before we could grab her. An oops moment (in Pixie's case, dashing to the door in greeting and coming up lame) will set your dog back (to Chapter 1 of Crate Rest 101 for a couple of weeks), but not to worry, almost every dog will have one. Just as long as it's not more than one, he/she will eventually be fine. After the first 8 weeks are up, your dog's leg should appear to be almost normal (no limping, little or no toe-touching, gait seems even), in which case you can loosen the rules v-e-e-r-r-r-y gradually. But as we learned, an oops usually occurs during the later rehab period when the dog has more freedom, so one still must be watchful. It took us almost the full 6 month rehab period to allow Pixie to roam freely in the house and yard without a leash and to finally put away the crates. Conservative management may not be an option for a dog who is medium size or larger, or younger and more active. But because your dog is similar to Pixie in terms of size and age, it may be worthwhile for you to look into Conservative Management. If after 8 weeks or so you do not see meaningful improvement, you can always opt for surgery.

luv3dogs,

Great work taking charge of your pups problem and exploring some options.  CCLD is an emotionally charged issue we deal with because treatment options can get extremely expensive.  I have put together a video to help explain what we do as well as why when we approach these cases.  I hope this information  helps!

www.youtube.com/watch

• Puppy

I have a great video discussion ACL repair. Hope it helps. http://grahamdvm.wix.com/grahamdvm#!Cranial-Cruciate-Ligament-Disease-in-Dogs-ACL-tears/c1sbz/8F3406CB-B09D-4620-AEC9-3C72895888B4