Can't get rid of Giardia

• Puppy

@DrJawadA

@denise m

Both my dogs have giardia. Ribbon (4 months) was initially given panacur for 2 wks plus Strongid once every 4 wks. Buddy (3yrs) was given 2 weeks of panacur. After 2 wks they retested positive again. They were both put back on panacur for another 2 wks along with an antibiotic (mezo something). So yesterday the vet called and they still are positive. The vet said to redo the panacur. He explained because of the mild winter that there is a bit of an outbreak of giardia and the dogs are being reinfected and it is extremely difficult to get the rid of. So at this point in the conversation I came to the conclusion that treatment may never end. I asked him what was the risk to my dogs if they cannot be successfully treated? Will they develop long term intestinal problems? Could they die? He said giardia causes soft stools. I thanked him but said I was not going to continue with panacur until or unless the dogs developed the runs. First question is, is there any point in continuing the panacur? Second is there something I can give them that will help with or prevent soft stools? At he moment Buddy's stools are normal. Ribbon's are not as hard but are well formed.

Giardia is very common in dogs and what I think is that you should take care of the environment to be free from giardia. Only treatment can't eliminate giardia permanently.

Give it a read too: Giardia">www.veterinaryhub.com/.../>Giardia in Dogs

• Puppy

Giardia is very common in dogs and what I think is that you should take care of the environment to be free from giardia. Only treatment can't eliminate giardia permanently.

Give it a read too: Giardia in Dogs