Itchy King Charles Cav (mrstjohnson) - UPDATE AND THANK YOU

• Gold Top Dog

Just got an update from my girlfriend tonight.  It is the neuro issue.  They are giving Manny some meds that have helped control the issue and maintain it at the level.  My girlfriend wanted to say thank you so much for helping her out.  She feels so much better at least knowing what it is.  They decided not to do the surgery but keep Manny as comfy as possible.

Thank you again!

• Gold Top Dog

Sorry to hear it is SM, and not something that could be easily fixed. I've seen though on a cavalier forum that many of them do well for years on meds, and hopefully that is the case for Manny.

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks Jen.  Yeah, it was a hard decision for them to not go through with the surgery.  But the $$ was just more than their family could support.  She said they would have looked at ways to raise the $$ but they weren't even sure if it would work.  He's like her baby so I know they will do anything they can to take care of him.

• Gold Top Dog

thanks for the update!  Best vibes to your friend and Manny

• Gold Top Dog

mrstjohnson

Thanks Jen.  Yeah, it was a hard decision for them to not go through with the surgery.  But the $$ was just more than their family could support.  She said they would have looked at ways to raise the $$ but they weren't even sure if it would work.  He's like her baby so I know they will do anything they can to take care of him.

Based on the info I've seen about the surgery,  I'm not sure I'd do it. This info is from the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club 

Surgery:
    The only option for severe cases of SM is surgery which entails opening the foramen magnum by removing a portion of the occipital bone and usually part of the first vertebrae (foramen magnum decompression surgery). The aim of surgery is to improve the dog’s quality of life and/or to stop or reduce further progression. The surgery may not reverse the damage and most dogs still have a tendency to scratch. There is more chance of success if the surgery is done early in the course of the disease before permanent damage has occurred. In older dogs surgery is advised only if the dog is deteriorating. Signs may recur in a proportion of dogs after several months/years due to redevelopment of syringomyelia. The newly created “space” from surgery may fill in with scar tissue. If this happens, repeat surgery may be indicated. Dogs are hospitalised for a few days until comfortable and then discharged on a combination of non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (e.g. Rimadyl) and Gabapentin (Neurontin). This is withdrawn when the dog is comfortable (about 2 weeks in most cases).

here's some more info on it. 

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/treating/treating/surgery.html

Just skimming through quickly, and things I have seen on the cavalier forum, raised food dishes, and using a harness instead of a collar can help. A lot of people with cavaliers will never walk the dog on a collar, only on a harness. I do use a collar for Luke. I should use a harness for him, but I hate having to put it on every time, and I wouldn't want to leave a harness on that hair. 

• Gold Top Dog

Yep, she bought a raised food and water bowl stand.  And she did say they switched exclusively to a harness.  He still scratches alot but alot less than he used to.  Based on the stuff you posted that's why they didn't do the surgery.  

The one drug they are giving him surprised me.  It is prevacid - although they give the generic.  The doc said that although they aren't using it for heartburn.  They found out that it reduces the amount of spinal fluid - or something like that - so it helps reduce the scratching.  He's on something else, but it was a long name and I don't remember.