Neuter of an fully grown male - post op care?

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Neuter of an fully grown male - post op care?

Red - the dog I found a while back - is going to be neutered on Saturday - he's a big boy both down there and in total size.  The foster mom is completely clueless and would benefit from any advice or what to expect info you have.

She asked about his ability to do stairs, walking him and will there be issues going 'potty'

what is the rest period and healing time like?

Our guess is he is 18-24 months old

Anything you can tell me so I can pass it on is appreciated

• Gold Top Dog

Apollo got the 'snip' at about 5-ish years old, you know he's big...all over, lol. He was very sore for the first 2 days, so he just layed around the house and didn't want to do much. After that we was his normal self but was still crate rested for another 5 days. He could do stairs fine, but he was on leash so he wouldn't run up them. Basically, he was exercise restricted for a week...until his staples were out.

• Gold Top Dog

Jewel was 8, and a spay, two tumor removals, and a dental is far more invasive than a neuter. I kept her on a leash, but let her walk the four steps in and out of the house. I thought lifting her would be more painful, and she agreed. No potty issues, aside from the first day, she made a puddle. I did keep her in a Bite Not collar, and  a t shirt, to protect her incisions (regular e collars fall off of the skinny headed dogs, and are pointless). She did just fine.

• Gold Top Dog
    Pi got neutered on a Friday. When I got him home, he wanted to sleep in our old closet, so off he went. We took it easy over the weekend and he was alright by Monday.
    • Gold Top Dog

Brutus was full grown when he was neutered.  He was sore for the first day or two, & then he was back to normal.  We let him walk up the 4 stairs to get into the house, but we didn't let him climb flights of stairs for the first week.  We kept him quiet for a week, & then he went back to normal activity.

Just a heads up.  There will be swelling from the surgery.  The edema will push down into the lowest area near the incision, so don't be surprised if, the next day, he looks like he hasn't been neutered at all.  The swelling will resolve, & will eventually look more normal.  He may always have an "empty change purse" though.

• Gold Top Dog

I don't know anything about males Karen.  But, I wanted to say good luck to Red on Saturday! 

• Gold Top Dog

Aesop was around 8 or 9 months when he was neutered, so not too old, but he did fine.   Newt, although granted she is a female, was spayed at 3 years. She was a bit sore for a few days, so we had pain meds. After a few days she was at pretty normal activity. 

Have her be sure to keep him away from his incision..be it by cone, etc. Licking can cause the most complications. 

• Gold Top Dog
    BEVOLASVEGAS

He may always have an "empty change purse" though.

LMAO!!!! We call it a "change purse" too!
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

BlackLabbie
    BEVOLASVEGAS

LOL

Thanks for the replies I'll send the info on 

• Gold Top Dog

Bailey was neutered at aprox 3ish years old, and he had no problems after the surgery. He was a little sore for a couple days after, but nothing serious. I kept him on a leash, even in the house, so that I could grab him if he tried to run around. He was allowed upstairs (he would go nuts if he had to sleep alone downstairs) so I just held the leash and walked him really slow up the stairs.

He wasnt crated at all after being neutered (he has serious crate phobia) but he stayed pretty calm, and he never even bothered with the stitches so we didn't have to use a cone.

• Gold Top Dog

There may be swelling and serum leakage. We fixed a male Akita at 3 years old and his empty sac got about grapefruit size for a couple days and he was VERY sore. This won't be an issue if they remove the scr*otum and that is what I would suggest. If I ever have a male I will be neutering I would definitely take it all off. The healing process seems a lot less complicated when you don't leave any loose, empty skin to collect serum.

• Gold Top Dog
    BlackLabbie
    BEVOLASVEGAS

LOL! Lex was neutered at almost a year old. He was too "larger" and was left with a little extra skin.... we lovingly call it something else that starts with a v and ends with an a...

As far as the after care goes, he was jumping around like a maniac when I picked him up after the procedure. The tech said he tried to bit him when he tried to put on his cone of shame = /
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

thanks for the additional info Gina

This will be done by the clinic that helps the rescue so I don't any special procedures will take place.

I having no experience with intact adult males didn't think anything was 'different' about Red but two friends that have had adult intact males both asked if he had a tumor or something down there - not funny then but once he was vet checked and given the all clear we laugh about it  - plus when I posted pics two people from here said whoa what's happening down there? LOL  I'm guessing his change purse is going to be more like a tote bag Embarrassed