Tramadol dosage for 80 lb dog

• Gold Top Dog

Tramadol dosage for 80 lb dog

I am going to give T-Bone some of my tramadol for pain, but I don't know how many gs to give him. Anyone know? Thanks

• Gold Top Dog

If this is a human prescription for Tramadol, I would not give it to a dog without a lot more input from a vet. If he's sore, I'd do a baby aspirin if a vet visit is not possible. That to me is just too dangerous. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Gold Top Dog

I'm giving a 65lb dog with bone cancer 50mg of Tramadol twice a day. Aspirin is really tricky - uncoated aspirin can cause ulcers but coated isn't usually digestible.

• Gold Top Dog

BEEJOU ****be careful** -- many of the human prescriptions have acetaminaphen in them and that is DEADLY to a dog.

Tramadol isn't in my Pill Book -- so I don't have a dose for you.  Honestly, I would *not* use it.  Tramadol is specifically a pain killer and often with a dog that may *not* be desirable because it can tend to make them feel free to be too active.

Don't give anything with Tylenol in it at all and you have to be super careful with aspirin.  Chamomile is better honesty -- and a little relaxant like valerian or passionflower will help a little aspirin go further.

Aspirin dose is 5-15 mg/lb given twice or three times a day.  I'd honestly give that with some slippery elm to protect the stomach (yes, it can cause stomach bleeding).  But I have a feeling the vet would have given you tramadol if he'd thot it wise. 

Pain for a dog can be a good thing -- that sounds hard-hearted, but you don't want him to over-do (which is a dog thing to do if they feel at all well).

If he's acting lethargic and unwell, I'd tell you to go back to an e-vet rather than just medicate yourself becuase it could too easily be some injury not diagnosed yesterday.

• Gold Top Dog

my 10 lb dog had a prescription for 1/4- 1/2 of a 50 mg tab, twice a day. I usually stuck with the 1/4 tab, as it was plenty effective.

I do keep it on hand (from that prescription, as she didn't use it all) for any injuries my dogs may get. When Jules was having issues from a little bone chip (which finally shifted thank heavens) Tramadol combined with his other med was the only thing that kept him comfortable. 

All dogs are different, but my dogs have never overdone it when they've been given pain meds. It's actually made them less restless. I'd rather they lay down and rest comfortably, instead of pace because they hurt. (but I know not all dogs DO rest when comfortable...I have a house full of laid back dogs) But in my dogs' case, they rarely show discomfort and are pretty stoic..so if something is bothering them enough that they show pain, I generally do give them something. (assuming it is a muscle/limb issue)

• Gold Top Dog

I don't like giving medication without a professional opinion.  But, the human version is safe, that's what Willow takes.  I think from what I remember being told is the only difference with the Tramadol is the vetererinary dosing is lower.  It didn't work super well for Willow's pain when she had Lyme.  She really needed the NSAID. 

• Gold Top Dog

sooner
    I'm giving a 65lb dog with bone cancer 50mg of Tramadol twice a day.

Off topic, who has bone cancer and what happened to Abraxis and who are all these other kids, LOL?? 

On topic, does that dosing control the pain-Tramadol never worked more than 8 or so hours for us.   

• Gold Top Dog

Just as a guess I'd have to wonder if Tramadol is pretty "personal" in how it works -- like Lori I've never had it be super effective on pain ... so again, I'd rather see you get vet input *first* -- not that the dog might not need it, but simply the vet's input.

And the reason I mentioned the acetaminaphen -- the first several things I saw on a search was that some of the human prescriptions DO contain acetaminaphen.  Some don't.  But man, I'm always over-cautious when it comes to trying to make sure folks know Tylenol stuff is SO poisonous to dogs. 

• Gold Top Dog

willowchow

sooner
    I'm giving a 65lb dog with bone cancer 50mg of Tramadol twice a day.

Off topic, who has bone cancer and what happened to Abraxis and who are all these other kids, LOL?? 

On topic, does that dosing control the pain-Tramadol never worked more than 8 or so hours for us.   

Off topic: more info http://forum.dog.com/forums/p/108259/880124.aspx#880124 

On topic: I think it helps. I don't really ever see any difference where I think it is wearing off or becoming less effective. She's on Deramaxx too though.

• Gold Top Dog

calliecritturs
    Just as a guess I'd have to wonder if Tramadol is pretty "personal" in how it works

Yeah, for Willow it depends on the kind of pain.  She was originally prescribed Tramadol during a bout of severe intestinal pain-this is going back quite a few years now.  And, it worked very well for that pain.  But, I've tried giving it for arthritis pain and the pain from Lyme and it really didn't do much for her. 

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Bugsy = 105lbs was on Tramadol after his knee surgery - think he got 50mg every 12 hours.  Seemed to help him.