Important Site Changes for Community Members....

• Gold Top Dog

Important Site Changes for Community Members....

The running and design of this community has been outsourced and as the people now responsible for this community we are going to make some changes.

The first change is that we are going to listen to you!  We are interested in hearing your opinions and views and we will try and respond and keep you informed as much as possible. Your feedback is valuable to us, and by giving it to us, we can improve the community for the better, in a way which works for you – the community using it.

Don't worry your existing community moderators are still here :)

Proposed Site Changes
    We've listened to the feedback that you have already given and understand that it's both difficult to navigate and unclear where you are in the site.  So we plan to make the following changes:

1. The forums will be simplified and moved out of the groups they are currently in.  This means there will be one location for main forum content and discussions.  The current number of sub forums will be reduced down to about 10 main forums.  Content older than 2009/1/1 will be removed.

2. User blogs and media will be removed. These features were never used and have just added to the confusion of the site structure.  Your current user galleries will be merged into a site gallery where users will be able to share pictures and videos to the site.

3. A new news blog and product review blog will be introduced. We will need some volunteers for product reviews, so please message us if you are interested in trying products from dog.com

4. Dogpedia is going to be removed, the content was fairly outdated and we believe that content, information and advice should come from you the dog owners and lovers.

5. Public groups will be introduced, where you can have your own members and control the conversation.  These could be used to stay in touch with your friends or to manage for example a dog walking group. We would like to names these groups "Dog Kennels.”

Thanks for your time and please do feedback below

• Gold Top Dog

Thank you in advance for your efforts.   I am missing the close friendships and associations we have lost with many past forum members due to the difficulty with navigating.   Good luck looking forward to a positive experience.

• Gold Top Dog

We will try our best to change things for the better, we will start with the taxonomy and site structure and then move onto other areas.  All I can say is your feedback is important and that we can't change everything at once, so please be patient.

• Gold Top Dog

I have virtually not posted in months because if there is more than one page to a thread I can't GET to the last page..  That's crazy.  My email is callieatcritturs@yahoo.com -- PLEASE email me about the AIHA or IMHA thread (about the biggest thread on there -- and that information is vital  to folks with IMHA dogs).   I'm glad to see something is being done.  It's been frustrating not to be able to get TO anyone to get help.

• Gold Top Dog

Let's see if we can't put a quick fix in for the paging,

I think the IMHA therad would be a good candidate for becoming it's own group "kennel" .  By turning your interest into a group you will be able to communicate with the users that are interested and are part of that group.  You would also be able to have separate conversations on sub topics and also use the blogs to report on news.  Would you like that?

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

I sure hope that real changes will be made, the whole last change - of which I was supposedly a part of - went in the direction it wanted despite constant feedback that it wasn't what was wanted.

In addition to making the site easier to navigate and less ridiculous, please fix the issues with the Chrome browser, the need to login in over and over despite having the box checked to "remember me"

• Gold Top Dog

If anyone else is experiencing an issue with staying logged in Chrome or any other browser on please post here. FYI We will be changing to use your email address for logging on in the next major update.

• Gold Top Dog

The paging issue has been addressed

• Gold Top Dog

It's not very helpful to have moderators who don't eliminate the spam. Right now a new poster put the same post in 3 different categories under training, but nobody has bothered to eliminate 2 of them and remind the newbie to refrain from placing multiple identical posts. The home page is cluttered enough.

Are you going to be able to pin a topic to the top, like the way the Mindless Chat thread used to be? Or the IMHA thread? Scrolling around is a total PITA and despite the option to switch to the more linear format, nothing is plainly visible.

Signatures don't work either.

Tina

• Gold Top Dog

We will be allowing key members of the community to become moderators in due course, for now , , , are your current moderators and I'm sure they are trying their best to moderate content.

Issue noted about signatures, obviously please remember somethings may not get fixed as quickly as others as we said in our original post the first action we are performing is the reorganization of the site and page layouts.    

• Gold Top Dog

@baddog
    for now , , , are your current moderators

Seriously? kpwlee seldom comes here and she has stated previously her moderating abilities, such as removing spam, don't work. @mirandobe hasn't been here in at least a year. If the others are doing their best, well, they've failed.

Make your excuses - this forum has been ruined. Zip it!

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Tina is correct - I have attempted to remove spam and can't

Heck I often have a fitful time flagging it

If the forum were to become more user friendly - especially on mobile devices - I would be able to access it more frequently.

Mirandobe isn't here any longer and I don't expect her back

Kaitlin58 & Michele68 haven't responded to my emails or questions in many months

• Gold Top Dog

We are looking for constructive discussions We are trying to make positive changes, if you don't want to be part of the changes that's fine, please don't post on this thread.  All we have is a list of existing moderators, we do not know their history. I also made it clear that the moderators would change in time, once we have addressed other larger issues which will take time to put in place.  

• Gold Top Dog

you should be moderating at this link  ? community.dog.com/.../Moderation the flag system is a separate system, used to flag approved content.

• Gold Top Dog

I think you should read the thread titled Site Petition filed under General Chat and dated 10-1-14. In a nutshell, many of our members have stated how difficult this format is and why they now seldom come here. There are other threads asking for help and stating how user un-friendly the updated format has been, including one titled Improvements to DOG.community, started by Kailtlin58.

You asked for opinions. I'm sorry you don't like mine. This once was an active community and like family. I can accept change; we've been asked for input before and nothing seems to have changed, so how can I not be skeptical?