The bill - it would make it a stalking-related crime to threaten pets of domestic violence victims, and also create a federal grant to equip shelters to house them

H.R. 1258, the Pet and Women Safety (PAWS) Act, is a bipartisan effort that would protect dogs by making more domestic violence shelters pet-friendly, if we show our support! Congresswomen Katherine Clark (D-MA) and Ileana Ros-Lehitnen (R-FL) recently introduced the bill to protect these vulnerable pets. “This isolating experience [of domestic violence] is made even worse for those who fear for the safety of their pet. Most pet lovers consider their beloved dog or cat a part of their family. No one should have to make the choice between leaving an abusive situation and ensuring their pet’s safety,” said Rep. Clark.

A real life story and a mirror of countless others

There are many examples of people who need this law, but one is college professor, Jasmin Rivera. When she was confronted by an abusive partner, the choice of leaving her two Shih Tzus, Tony and Teresa, behind was simply unthinkable. For Jasmin and many like her, the possibility of leaving beloved pets in a dangerous environment is not an option. “I looked down and I see them, and they’re shaking,” Rivera told RH Reality Check. After an assault resulted in a broken ankle, Jasmin knew she had to do something. In distress, she luckily found the one and only shelter in NYC that would accept her and her dogs. “The minute I got into the [Safe Haven] living room, I was like,‘Oh my God, this is a blessing.”

Jasmin in Safe Haven Photo credit: DNAinfo/Gustavo Solis

Fantasy coming to life

Can you imagine walking into one such program, the Urban Women’s Safe Haven, the first co-sheltering program in NYC, and see a dog park, a gated playground located safely behind the shelter’s premises, along with pet food and pet welcome packs? It was an invaluable refuge for Jasmin and her two dogs, and this is what we could have across the country! Now we’re talking! A growing number of shelters such as Safe Haven, as well as Anne Marie’s in Minnesota and Beacon of Hope in Indiana have been inspiring the country by offering refuge to those at risk with dogs in tow.

Jasmin in the Safe Haven Playground Photo credit: DNAinfo/Gustavo Solis

In these welcoming places, people in need (and often with children) stay together with their pets – a true-life saver considering many victims of domestic violence simply won’t leave their dogs behind, opting to stay in a car or risk their own safety rather than see their pets harmed or killed.

The federal government takes notice

In fact, over two-dozen states currently have taken it upon themselves to pass laws that give pets the right to enter domestic violence shelters. Currently, only a mere 3% accept them.

The solution

We can start by paying forward Teresa, Tony and Jasmin’s experience. Now is the time to act. If you agree with Rep. Clark and Rep. Ros-Lehitnen, we urge you to email letters of support to your local congressional representative and express how important H.R. 1258, the PAWS Act, is to you. Jasmin and her dogs have benefitted, now is the time for thousands of others as well!