Run free, GingerD 6-3-14

Rainbow Bridge

The Rainbow Bridge is the theme of a work of poetic prose written some time between 1980 and 1992, whose original creator is unknown. The theme is of an other-worldly place to which a pet goes upon its death, eventually to be reunited with its owner.
    • Gold Top Dog

Run free, GingerD 6-3-14

I made the very difficult decision to euthanize GingerD today. I haven't posted much about anything other than her health problems. She was a good girl until either food was involved or she had pain - then she would bite. It started from the first day she came home, but I did not recognize the behavior for what it was. It was progressively becoming worse and I was not sure the snapping and attempts to bite would resolve if other problems were addressed. At age 14, there was no guarantee that extensive training would stop the behavior. It plain and simply scared me and I didn't need the liability.

Although I am heartbroken, I know she had 3 good months with me. She will be missed.

• Gold Top Dog

I am so sorry to hear this.  Your heart was in the right place by giving an older dog a home to be loved in, but things don't always turn out the way we intended for them to.  GingerD knew she was loved and cared for in those 3 months and can now romp happily at the Bridge free, out of pain, and without any baggage.  HUGS

• Gold Top Dog

Tina, I gasped out loud when I read your thread title.  I'm so very sorry!   You've had to make a truly heartbreaking decision, but it sounds like you made the right one.  The risk of your being bitten or someone else being bitten would've scared me as well.  I can't imagine having to face that choice . . . I'm sorry you had to face it.

Ginger was able to enjoy those 3 months with you, with TLC and medical attention she wouldn't have had otherwise.  Those months with you were much better than the fate she faced before you rescued her.  You did everything you could to help her have a comfortable, happy life.  Yet another pair of angel wings for you and your big heart.

GingerD -- you can run free of pain now, young and agile again.  You may meet a few other guardian angels who watch over your Mom.  You're in good company.  Rest easy, sweet girl.

Hugs to you, Tina.

• Gold Top Dog

(((Tina)))

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

So sorry to hear this! Thinking of you during this difficult time.

• Silver

Sending some virtual hugs your way. She is in a better place now.

• Gold Top Dog

@tacran
    You may meet a few other guardian angels who watch over your Mom.  You're in good company.

I told Ginger to watch out for Moose the cat - he is the crazy one.

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words of support.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

So, so sorry thoughts and prayers are with you.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

(((((Hugs))))))

• Gold Top Dog

(((hugs)))  Tina, you opened your heart and home, and gave her three months of care and love. What a wonderful gift you gave GingerD.

No more pain, sweet girl.I imagine GingerD at the Bridge, telling everyone, "Tina adopted me when I was a senior and she took care of me!"  

• Gold Top Dog

i am very sorry for your loss, you gave Ginger 3 wonderful months.

• Gold Top Dog

{{{Tina}}}  I'm so sorry; you will be in my prayers.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

The bad part of loving a dog.  I am sorry for your loss.  They bond so quickly.

LETTING GO

We’ve known this day would come, we knew it from the start.

And now we sit together, me with a heavy heart.

I know that it is time, to release you from your pain.

There’s nothing left to do, nothing left to gain.

As I look into your eyes, I feel the pain I see

I know you have been holding on, just because of me.

You are my best friend, and I don’t want you to go

But loving you as I do, I can’t let you suffer so.

So as I hold you here, I just wanted you to know

Today I loved you most of all, Today I let you go.

• Gold Top Dog

Oh, ((((Tina)))).  I'm so sorry.  I agree with everyone else, you gave GingerD the best three months of her life and LOVE.  That's the best gift any of us can give.

Run free GingerD.

• Gold Top Dog

Just seeing this as I'm not getting time to be on here very often. I saw a post of Glenda's that said still thinking of Tina and it caught me off guard so checked and found your post Tina about GingerD. I am so sorry you found yourself having to make that decision. Its never easy. As others have said you gave her a good 3 months. She was loved and cared for. RIP GingerD