Our sweet Jessie is gone; October 1998- February 22, 2014.

Rainbow Bridge

The Rainbow Bridge is the theme of a work of poetic prose written some time between 1980 and 1992, whose original creator is unknown. The theme is of an other-worldly place to which a pet goes upon its death, eventually to be reunited with its owner.
    • Gold Top Dog

Our sweet Jessie is gone; October 1998- February 22, 2014.

We had to help her over the Bridge yesterday morning. It was too painful to post yesterday and it's very hard still. Many of you had been praying for her. She had been making a little progress since she came home from the hospital Tuesday but still not eating much. Then Thursday her appetite was better and she ate about a cup of food, a fourth cup at a time. Friday morning she acted like she wanted DH to take her for a walk , so we were very encouraged. Later that morning we went back to Purdue for a scheduled recheck. Her kidney values had went up again, from 1.7 to 3, and her pancreatic values were very high as well. It was very disappointing news but Dr.S was pleased with the improvement in her appetite and her attitude. We were supposed to return for another recheck in 2 weeks. She ate 1/3 cup of food when we returned from Purdue but wouldn't eat the rest of the day. She seemed very tired and rested in the same place all evening. I finally cooked her some spaghetti and lean ground beef late that evening and brought it over to where she was resting. To my surprise and relief, she ate some of it. Yesterday morning she wouldn't even eat anything and seemed very weak. DH had to carry her outside to see if she needed to pee. She could barely walk so he brought her back in. He carried her over to her water bowl and held her while she drank. We knew it was her time and called Dr.S who said to bring her right in. DH held Jessie in his lap while we were waiting for them to bring a gurney; she was totally limp and I thought she might pass before Dr. S saw her. Dr.S said something had happened internally for her to change so much in 24 hours. She agreed with us that it was time to let Jessie go, that more fluids or other treatment were unlikely to help. Jessie was resting quietly on the gurney, mostly sleeping, while Dr. S examined her and while we talked. We were taken to a room set up for euthanasia; it had a sofa and chair, lamps; it was very nice. The Rainbow Bridge poem was on one of the walls. Jessie passed very peacefully, with DH and I rubbing her ears and giving her kisses. Dr. S was also in tears and gave us each a hug. She was very fond of Jessie and called Jessie her "Little Munchkin."

One of my favorite nicknames for Jessie was "Baby Girl". We found her at a shelter in October of 1999; she was about a year old. She was and is our first dog. When we brought her home, we loved her, but had no idea how much more that love would grow. She was always sweet and gentle, willing to please and very cooperative at the vet. She had dark nails and I was afraid of cutting the quick, so I had her nails trimmed at the vet. When they finished one front paw, she would lift the other. She was very good with people but not so good with critters; chasing and tangling with ground hogs, possums, and raccoons. She jumped three feet without a running start, over a cement wall, to chase a chipmunk. She also jumped down a four and a half foot drop in a trail to follow us; DH was going to lift her down but she jumped before he could do it. She seemed to know when not to harm animals though; our children raised several breeds of pigeons to compete in shows. Occasionally, a pigeon would escape when the loft door was opened. Jessie sometimes caught them in her mouth, but she didn't bite down, and would give them to us unharmed. She loved the grandchildren and would do anything for them, including jumping through a hoop 40 times, until I said she needed a rest.

It's very, very painful and we miss her so much. We're grateful that she lived a long life and that we have so many happy memories to comfort us, but as all of you know, we always want more time with our dear companions. She will live on in our hearts until we see her again at the Bridge.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

• Gold Top Dog

Oh Janice.  I'm so incredibly sorry. I can hardly see to type.  ((((hugs))))

• Gold Top Dog

I am so, so sorry. What a sad time for you and your family ((((hugs))))  Run free at the Bridge, sweet Jessie.

• Gold Top Dog

@JackieG
    I can hardly see to type.  

Same for me.  I posted earlier today when I saw your sad news on Jessie's other thread, and while my heart was heavy then, my reaction was even more emotional after reading this post.  Reading about Jessie's life with you and your family was very touching, Janice.  As I said in my other post, she was blessed to have lived her life with you, and her long life is a testament to your wonderful care.  I hope your memories of her keep you strong as you mourn her absence.  But she'll always be with you, in spirit and in the spaces all around you.

Hugs to you and your family.

• Gold Top Dog

Run free Jessie...

(((((Janice)))))

• Gold Top Dog
    (((Janice))) I just saw this in spiritual circle. What a wonderful life you gave Jessie and I know you feel that she gave to you as well. It is always a sad but wonderful story when you have a support team like your Dr.S that cares so much. Run Free Jessie, so many friends were waiting for you across the Bridge.
    • Gold Top Dog

My heart goes out to you and your Husband, I know how painful it is. May she Jessie rest  in peace at the Bridge.  

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Oh Janice, I always felt like I KNEW Jessie.

Add me to the list that having read your tribute is finding it hard to see through the tears.

She was a very special girl and was so incredibly fortunate to have you as her family.

I know my words can't heal your heart, hoping my gentle cyber hugs help (((((Janice))))))

Jessie, thank you for all you brought to our world and I know you are catching chipmunks galore now!!

• Gold Top Dog

I couldn't post yesterday because our internet service was down.  It's been very hard; we miss her so much. Your hugs and support truly help. Dr. H was the internist who treated Jessie for her high blood pressure and hypercoagulability for over a year, and worked with Dr. S on her care in the hospital last week. He called this morning and expressed his sorrow at her passing. When we pick up her ashes, he wants to speak with us and also would like a picture of her. His supervision of her health problems gave us about a year and a half more time with her, and a very good quality of life. In addition to the Rainbow Bridge poem on the wall in the room where Jessie was helped over the Bridge, there was this tribute also;   

It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them, and every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are. - Anonymous

Thanks again for your hugs and prayers; you are all wonderful

• Gold Top Dog

(((((Janice))))).  I am so very sorry.  You and yours are in our prayers.  There just aren't words to tell you how sorry I am for your loss.

• Gold Top Dog

I really feel for you . Your story is so moving, I too need wipers over my eyes. Beautiful words. Jonathan

• Gold Top Dog

OMG Janice...I am so incredibly sorry..... run free Jessie.  Gee I feel I know Jessie after all of these years. I'm just so sad that you lost her..... I know....and she knows that no one could have taken better care of her or loved her more.....    So many of us have been where you are right now..... find peace in knowing how much she loved you and you loved her  and took care of her, right until  the end.

We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan. - Irving Townsend.

• Gold Top Dog

@dyan
    We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan. - Irving Townsend.

Thank you for the quote Dyan; it's beautiful. The first few days after she passed were so painful; I almost wanted to find another dog right away to help stop the pain. DH really misses her too. We're doing better now, not crying as much, but tomorrow may be rough as she will have been gone one week. We have many, many pictures and wonderful memories of her and they have begun to bring some smiles the past few days. 

• Gold Top Dog

Janice, continuing to send hugs to you and your family.  Despite it being 8 years since we lost our beloved Tonka, I very clearly remember the intense pain of those early days and weeks.  One morning when I looked in the mirror, I said to myself, "So, that's where the phrase "a face etched with grief" comes from."  It was like I'd aged a few years; I looked noticeably different.

As each day passes, the time between crying bouts gets a little bit longer, but I also remember being caught off guard when I seemed to be doing okay for a few days, then all of sudden, a wave would hit me and I would be a complete mess.  I remember one time I was ironing and I had to stop and sit on the floor for a few minutes because I was so overcome.  Just thinking about it now brings tears to my eyes.

Getting through one day at a time, Janice.  That's all we can do.  Keeping you in my thoughts.