Loss of my baby Perseus

Rainbow Bridge

The Rainbow Bridge is the theme of a work of poetic prose written some time between 1980 and 1992, whose original creator is unknown. The theme is of an other-worldly place to which a pet goes upon its death, eventually to be reunited with its owner.
    • Bronze

Loss of my baby Perseus

I lost my 4 year old baby Perseus within two and a half days. My malitpoo, who was a jumper, got into a container of gum that I didn't know was on the table and ingested all of it. I wasn't aware that the ingredient Xylitol was in it and is highly toxic to dogs. My baby threw up all of the gum by Sunday, but his level of energy dropped and he refused to eat because of the vomiting. By the time we took him to the vet, had xrays done, blood work, and he was injected with fluids, he perked up after being force fed by the vet. I stayed up with him all night and saw by Tuesday morning that Perseus was worse. He died in my arms around 6:15 am. My daughter sang to him before he died. My heart was broken and he was on my lap for five hours before the vet called to give me the results from the blood work (I had left a message with his assistant by the time the office had opened). He told me that there wasn't anything we could've done to save Perseus because he suffered liver failure. He offered to cover the charge for group cremation because he felt bad about what happened. Saying good-bye to Perseus again when my husband took him away was even more painful. My children are devastated. My husband and son are dealing with their grief in their own way, but my daughter and I are coping together. At 2:30am on Wednesday, I woke up looking for Perseus. I went to work yesterday and it was one of the hardest things that I had to do. I broke down twice (thank goodness not in front of my students) and was comforted by my colleagues. The pain hurts so much and with the snow day, I felt it even more because my puppy love would've been snuggling with me right now. I loved him so much and I just want to shut out the world and be with him again. What hurts most of all was that my children and I decided to get Perseus because we had lost our other beauty, Brittany. She would have been 5 when we lost her four years ago. Perseus would have been 5 years old in September, so we have lost two dogs in 9 years. I know that Perseus knew that he was loved, but it doesn't make losing him any easier.
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

I'm very sorry for your loss, it's never easy to loose a pet we love so much, but Perseus knew he was loved. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

• Gold Top Dog

My Heart just breaks for you right now.   I am so sorry.  Run free Perseus there were so many waiting for you at the Bridge they will show you all the wonderful places to run and play.

• Gold Top Dog

((( hugs ))); I am so sorry for your loss. Words don't help but it's all we have. My thoughts are with you and your family. Run Free Sweet Perseus.

• Gold Top Dog

Please don't blame yourself, which I feel is happening from your post.   Perseus was loved and probably enjoyed more quality of life than most dogs would have during even 15 years here on earth.   Brittany and Perseus will keep each other excellent company and share funny stories about you and your family.   Its so hard, but eventually you will remember those funny stories also.   Be strong.   My thoughts are with you.

• Bronze

Thank you to all of you for your kind words. Because of the support I have received from you and my friends and family, I know I'm not alone. Perseus my puppy love will always have a place in my heart, as will Brittany. For now I will take it day by day, while holding onto my baby's favorite plush toy. Hugs, Melanie

• Gold Top Dog

Just reading this and my heart is just breaking for you. I am so sorry for the loss of your little guy. RIP Perseus puppy.