RIP Sweet Sinbad

Rainbow Bridge

The Rainbow Bridge is the theme of a work of poetic prose written some time between 1980 and 1992, whose original creator is unknown. The theme is of an other-worldly place to which a pet goes upon its death, eventually to be reunited with its owner.
    • Gold Top Dog
    First, thank you, Karen, for posting about Sinbad.  And, thank you, all, for your thoughts and messages. As you all know, he left such a huge empty space that just can’t be filled. Sinbad was supposed to be put down three years ago—but instead, he was rescued and moved to foster care. He was 11 years old and almost 50 lbs. overweight, but he was a happy boy. His foster Mom got his weight down by 40 lbs. and got him on his thyroid medicine. Right around the same time Sinbad as almost ready to be adopted, Frisby lost her battle with IMHA. I went to pick up her ashes and left a note for her vet—I’d love to adopt an adult dog down the road. Just give me a call. (She knew Frisby well, and I knew she would know who would fit in well here.) Well, not too long after that (literally a week), I got a call from the vet—“We know it’s way too soon, but we have this yellow Lab who needs a home.” So, I visited him, then my folks visited him, and that was that--he was coming home. So, Sinbad moved to the island for his retirement years. I didn’t know if he’d be with us for 6 months, a year or what. I got the "or what."  He lost the final 10 lbs. pretty quickly, developed some decent muscle and settled right into life here. Almost a year and half after he moved here, I drove to Pittsburgh and got Mozey. It was like they were supposed to be together. They loved to play, race to see who could get off the deck first, and they never quarreled. Yesterday, I took him to the vet for his regular acupuncture. His leg had swollen up Sunday and everything I tried did not help. (His acupuncture vet sees him at his “regular” vet’s office.) Before acupuncture, they took x-rays to see if they could figure out why his leg was swollen. They didn’t find anything in the x-ways (e.g. bone cancer, enlarged heart, broken bone in the leg). So, we did the acu and then we left to run a few errands. Sinbad went downhill really fast after the morning acupuncture—three hours later, I took him back to the vet’s and they did more testing to try to figure out what was going on. This time, they found a mass in his spleen and it looked like it had just started to spread. His vet and I talked about choices (there really weren't any), and I made the decision to let him go to the Bridge. He loved everyone at the vet’s office and they all knew his story. He was showered with treats and love, and then he went to the Bridge.Sinbad loved to bounce (it meant he was happy), go for walks, find (and quickly eat) crab legs, and above all else, “help”. He loved to ride in his truck, loved his veggies (especially asparagus and green beans), and loved his humans.  Sinbad was here on this island for almost three years (he’d be 14 this summer!)—far too short a time in human years, but I know he knew how much he was loved every single day he was here.  

He was such a good boy, and we miss him so much. Run free, sweet Sinbad. And, yes, you can have all the treats you want at the Bridge! 

• Gold Top Dog

((Hugs))  I am just seeing this, I am so sorry Kate.  How wonderful that you got to share his retirement days, and he got to share your love.

Sweet Sinbad, run free!

• Gold Top Dog

Kate, you've been on my mind all night and all day.  I know your heart is aching and mine hurts for you, too. 

Sinbad hit the jackpot spending his final years with you -- all the love and happy times he had in your home made up for the difficult times he had before joining your family.  What a lucky, lucky boy.  I know he's your guardian angel now. 

Sending you, your parents, and Mozey many cyber-hugs. 

• Gold Top Dog

So sorry Kate. Thinking of you and sending hugs your way. You did a great thing taking on an older dog and giving him such a wonderful 3 years.

• Gold Top Dog
    I've been thinking of you all day -- Yes, it's great that Sinbad had such wonderful "retirement" years -- but I also know you well enough to know you felt *you* were the blessed one. So often these mature dogs we open our hearts to become so much more than "just a rescue". They walk in instantly aware "hey this place is GREAT - I **like** these people!!" and every kindness makes them SO happy -- joy joy joy I know how much you loved Fris ... but I also know the huge huge toll treating her for IMHA and cancer at the same time was ... to get this big guy who just needed to be able to love somebuddy -- it was like a balm to your soul. I am just so very sorry. Holler any time. ... *hugs* for you and Mos!
    • Gold Top Dog
    It's really not about the quantity of time we have with them but the quality and I know Sinbad's time was probably the best he'd ever known. (((Hugs)))
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog
    Oh, Kate. I am so, so very sorry. What a terrible shock. You have my deepest sympathies.
    • Gold Top Dog

Oh my gosh.... (((((KATE)))))

That's such a heartwarming story you told above!  The love and kindness you gave to Sinbad was known by all of us and mostly by Sinbad.  I'm just so happy that you saved him and showed him what it was like to live a happy life (and we all know he was probably beyond thrilled to live with you).  You gave the senior boy the best 3 years of his life!

Lots of hugs and heart healing vibes coming your way.

• Gold Top Dog

I got to bring Sinbad's ashes home yesterday. It's comforting to know he's here at home--not easy, but comforting. There was a packet of wild flower seeds tucked in a card, too--what a nice gesture! Now, I have to figure out where to plant the seeds!

Sinbad had a dark pink flower garden (each dog has a flower patch), and yesterday, there was a fledgling cardinal in the area. Not a lot of color on the bird yet, but the little one had the tell tale tuft and was not too skittish. And, it was flying well. (It's the first time I've seen a young cardinal, because they usually come around when they're adults. So, in my mind, Sinbad sent it to check in.) We are all trying to figure out how to manage without all the "help" we're used to!

Thank you for all your posts and notes--they do mean so much.

• Gold Top Dog
    Awww. Run free, Sinbad. Tell Brown I miss him!
    • Gold Top Dog

((((((Kate)))))) I've been keeping you and your family in my prayers. Run free sweet Sinbad.

• Gold Top Dog

Kate, I'm so so sorry.  It's just heart wrenching to have that happen so suddenly and with no warning, but good in a way that Sinbad didn't have to endure months of pain. Run free, sweet boy.

Joyce