Pepper spray antidotes

• Gold Top Dog

Pepper spray antidotes

Carrying pepper spray for defence against aggressors (human or canine) carries with it the responsibility to be able to care for your dog if it gets sprayed.  It is also possible that your dog will be sprayed by someone else.  I suggest keeping a copy of the antidote description with your canine first aid kit, plus having the ingredients and containers handy.

Treatment Summary For Pepper Spray:

eye flush and mouth wash
    -
    (1)  solution of ½ liquid antacid (i.e. Maalox) and ½ water
    (2)  Always irrigate from the inside corner of the eye towards the outside.  A bottle with a squirt cap is ideal.

skin treatments
    - Be sure to remove all the oil!!
    (1)  when spray still wet - 10-15% vegetable oil (or mineral oil) in water, plus 1-2 tbs. liquid dish soap and a few drops of Rescue Remedy.  Rinse off or wipe off with moist towels.
    (2)  when spray dry - Wipe vegetable oil (or mineral oil) on skin. Wipe off with vodka (or another ethanol or with rubbing alcohol).
    (3)  Suggestion for final canine rinse - 20 to 30 drops of tea tree oil per quart of water

Note:
    10-15% vegetable oil is about 1.8 to 2.8 cups per gallon (16 cups/gallon).

Sources:
    >http://www.drruhland.com/05.html[/size]
    "The Seattle Facial:
    The Seattle Solution is used when pepper spray is still wet.
    (One bottle with 10-15 percent
    vegetable oil or mineral oil, the rest water and 1-2 tbs. of liquid dish soap and a few drops of Rescue Remedy
    .)
    One bottle of water - or - "baby-wipes."
    Wipe solution on skin.
    Rinse off with water -or- wipe off with baby-wipes or moist paper towels in baggies.

The Protester Facial:
    This is used when pepper spray is wet or dry.
    Wipe mineral oil on skin. Immediately wipe all off with rubbing alcohol.
    (
    Vegetable oil is healthier than mineral oil, and vodka or other ethanol is healthier than isopropyl, so worth trying).
    Mineral oil will trap chemicals, so remove all!"

>http://www.radio4all.org/aia/sec_chemaid.html[/size]     (site is gone now)
    "For pepper spray in the eyes and mouth:

We recommend an eye flush using a solution of half
    liquid antacid (i.e. Maalox) and half water.

A bottle with a squirt cap is ideal, but a spray bottle works. Always irrigate from the inside corner of the eye towards the outside, with head tilted back and slightly towards the side being rinsed. It needs to get into the eye to help. This means that if the sprayed person says it's okay you should try to open their eye for them. They most likely won't be able/ willing to open it themselves, and opening will cause a temporary increase in pain, but it does help. This works great as a mouth rinse too."
    • Bronze
    If all else fails, plain old water works well too. Pepper spray is harmless, it's just waiting the burn out those first 30 or so min. For people defense I prefer pepper foam - it aims & sticks better. On dogs both in my own experience only makes attacking dogs 100% more aggressive. I'd never use it on a dog again myself. I keep mine handy as there is a local rapist that has struck three times in the last three weeks, if he crosses my path he'll get a face full.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Where do you get pepper foam?  I was thinking the other day that since I walk alone into the woods on trails a lot with Daisy, that I should carry something just in case.  I always keep my phone on me, but I still feel a little vulnerable out there on the trails.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Thanks for the remedies, Janet!

And thanks for telling us about pepper foam, workingpaws. I must find some pepper foam, and some Direct Stop, too. I like skunk spray for aggressive humans, heck, probably would work well on loose dogs, too, and really send a message to the owners! On aggressive people, it marks them so the police can find them later. It's kinda hard to hide when you stink to high heaven. [:D]

The advantage to skunk spray is that if a human attacker takes it away from you and uses it on you, it would be yucky, but not horrible.

I am asthmatic. If pepper spray blows back in my face, I'm DEAD. LITERALLY. So the foam sounds like a good idea for me. I wonder if they have that in a bear formula....it would make fishing and berry picking a bit less scary.

Then again, if you find scat in the woods you know how to tell if it's bear scat, right? It smells like pepper and is full of little bells....
    • Gold Top Dog
    I must find some pepper foam, and some Direct Stop, too.

SprayShield Animal Deterrent Spray (formerly Direct Stop)
    www.dog.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=101367
    • Bronze
    I can't find the site that I purchase my pepper foam from (It was 4 years ago) It's police strength & has indigo dye in it so the police just hold a black light to an attackers face, etc & know they were sprayed. Mine is called Fox Foam, it even came with a leather carry case. I'll keep looking, but so far I found this link (this one sells the holder too, which is worth the investment - scroll down the page) Fox Pepper Spray Foam

p.s. Be sure it's legal to carry this in your state before you buy it.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: workingpaws

I can't find the site that I purchase my pepper foam from (It was 4 years ago) It's police strength & has indigo dye in it so the police just hold a black light to an attackers face, etc & know they were sprayed. Mine is called Fox Foam, it even came with a leather carry case. I'll keep looking, but so far I found this link (this one sells the holder too, which is worth the investment - scroll down the page) Fox Pepper Spray Foam

p.s. Be sure it's legal to carry this in your state before you buy it.

Even if it's NOT legal, I'd rather carry it and have it there to protect me than to get raped and seriously harmed and have to depend on the police to do something about it.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Even if it's NOT legal, I'd rather carry it and have it there to protect me than to get raped and seriously harmed and have to depend on the police to do something about it.

Just be very sure that you don't accidently try to carry it on a plane!!  Also, remember that unless you have mace or pepper spray/foam in your hand ahead of time, it is unlikely to do you any good against a human attacker.  [sm=2cents.gif]
    • Bronze
    Yeah I keep mine clipped to my belt, but even then I wonder if I would have time to grab it. In that case the elbow is the hardest weapon on your body. Aim at every painful place you can think of: groin, throat (adams apple), eyes. If grabbed from behind grab handfuls of pants just above the knees & pull upward, it should throw a person off balance. Thumbs to eyeballs hard too. Even putting your thumb on their fingernail & pushing it WAY under into their fist & up can be painful enough to make a person cry. Never allow anyone to take you to location #2.