Glucosamine & Chondroitin

• Gold Top Dog

Glucosamine & Chondroitin

I have Daisy on it and ran out my aunt brought me over a bottle for myself lol just wondering could I give that to Daisy until I can get her more?

• Gold Top Dog

As long as it does *NOT* have acetaminaphin (like tylenol) in it -- acetaminaphin/tylenol oare deadly to dogs in any dose

If it is "enteric" (it should say -- it's a special coating on the caplet) then it's not going to digest well. "enteric" stuff digests in the small intestine and dogs don't digest anything well there.  So if it's enteric take it yourself.

• Gold Top Dog

Yes, I agree with Callie--I always just buy it for my crew at the regular drug store. Just read the label to make sure it doesn't have the stuff you don't want in there.

• Bronze

I buy human supplements for the dogs whenever possible.  They aren't all that well regulated, but IMO are likely to be much safer than stuff specifically manufactured for dogs.

• Gold Top Dog

It says glucosamine hci 1500mg, chondroitin sulfate 1200mg, other ingredients are microcrystaline cellulose, stearlic acid, magnesium stearate, povidone, silica, beet root powder, pharmaceuitical glaze and talc

It's a type of pill you can crush up, break in half. Is it safe to give her??  

• Gold Top Dog

That list seems identical to the ingredients on versions sold for dogs--in fact, it has fewer listed than a couple I just looked at online. (Do you have your old bottle? You could compare that, unless it was a prescription.)

• Gold Top Dog
    No I threw it out :( Should I give it to Daisy? If so should I cut it in half she's about 25-29lbs should give it to Lucky and Copper as well since their almost 12 and 9. Just worried about how much to give either the whole pill or half each.
    • Bronze

It should be perfectly safe.  I'd check the dosage again, though.  I suspect what you posted is the amount of glucosamine and chondroitin in two or three pills.

Here is what Mary Strauss at DogAware says about dosages:

When giving glucosamine and chondroitin for arthritis, start out at high doses: at least 500 mg glucosamine plus 400 mg chondroitin daily for a small dog (up to 25 lbs), 1000/800 mg for a medium-sized dog (25 to 50 lbs), 1500/1200 mg for a large dog (50 to 100 lbs), and 2000/1600 mg for dogs over 100 lbs. If you see improvement, you can try backing off to a smaller dosage. Some dogs do well on less, some need the higher amount to get relief. If you don't see any improvement in four weeks, try a different brand. Different dogs seem to respond better to different brands. Glucosamine/chondroitin can be given with food.

Here's the full article, you might find it helpful:

Link

• Gold Top Dog

I share the ones I get for myself at Costco with Max.  Sometimes it's glucosamine w/chondroitin and sometimes it's glucosamine w/msm.  The pills are pretty big but I just dab a bit of peanut butter on the ends of them and he swallows them right down. The last time he was at the vet, she said she could feel the beginnings of arthritis in one of his front legs. The dog I had before Max developed arthritis when he was about 12 and I gave them to him too.  He was actually walking better and faster at 15 than he was when he was first diagnosed.

Joyce