needs some strong vibes and thoughts, please. (pictures added)

• Gold Top Dog

needs some strong vibes and thoughts, please. (pictures added)

My newest foster (yea, puppy number two...what am I getting myself into!) is a JRT mix puppy. She didn't have a good start to life. About 3 weeks ago, she was surreneded to the e-clinic, where she was transfered over to us. She came with her brother, Petey. Both were surrenedered for being lethargic and for having many siezures.

Back at the shelter, the boy seemed to be worst off. We found the vet that the previous family had taken their dogs to (which so happenes to be my vet) and I called, to find out any information about the pups. Turns out - mom and dad were also brother and sister...they had neurological problems, the boy was blind - basically - their brains had not fully developed.

The boys siezures worsened, and he passed away last week. The girl had been doing so much better, until last week. Last Sunday she went into a tiny siezure - nothing too bad, but concerning enough that we watched her very carefully. We wondered, since it was small one, if she had been having them all along - and we just never noticed. Not an hour after the first one, she went into one of the worst siezures I have ever seen from a pup. We rushed her down to the e-clinic, where she spent the rest of that weekend.

Back at the shelter again, our little girl seemed to be doing much better again. She was starting to walk normally, and was showing an interest in playing with her toys and other pups. Friday night rolls around, and she starts having major siezures again. She had multiple on the route to the e-clinic.

That brings us to now. She is sleeping in the extra crate I have, she's been doing ok since she's been here. No siezures since Friday, just little tremmors. The vet at the clinic gave her some phenobarbatol - so she's a bit more sleepy (we are waiting on our oral supply to come in, we have a small amount of the injectable that we were giving her brother before he passed).

I'm really worried about her - We have all gotten so attached to her in the short time we've had her. She's the sweetest thing, and I don't want anything to happen to her. Please, send as many get-better-strong-vibes as you can.

*pictures added* so you can send extra-strong ones.....she really needs and deserves them.

and some puppy kisses from little Splash (the shih tzu I'm also fostering, he's over come all his problems, and is a happy, active pup now!)

• Gold Top Dog

extra strong vibes being sent the pups way!!! keep us posted!

• Gold Top Dog

Erica, I feel for you and the pup. I'm so sorry about her brother.
    I'm sure you read a recent post of mine about my fosters siezure. I thought it was bad but it was the first siezure I had expierenced.
    I will be thinking of you and the pup and sending lots of "NO SIEZURE" vibes. Smile

• Gold Top Dog

What is she eating?  My parents' dog had horrible cluster seizures but a diet change resulted in her needing less medication and being "seizure free" for several years in a row.

Good vibes coming her way from us in SC. :)

• Gold Top Dog

hm...interesting. She's eating mostly Science Diet Puppy, along with a variety of canned foods, mostly SD as well.

Now, if she's staying at my house, I'll switch her over to something different. I have no problem buying some food for her if it means she could have fewer siezures. However...given her background, I'm not thinking it's food related at this point - more so brain underdevelopment, unfortuantly. Our vet is hoping that her brain will continue to grow and develope as she does - it does happen!

• Gold Top Dog

Awww, after looking at that face i am heartbroken!!  I truly hope she overcomes her seizures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Gold Top Dog

Hang in there little girl.  What are you calling her?  She needs a good strong name.

• Gold Top Dog

She doesn't have a name yet.... I think we, as a staff, didn't name her because we didn't want to get too attached, just in case. But - it's too late for that - and she needs a name! My mom wants to call her 'Penny' - but she wants to name every foster that....

I was looking up 'strong' names today - and the only one I really liked was Heidi...but I'm not to sure of that one either. Any ideas? Her shih tzu buddy is named Splash (because he wont stop 'falling' into the pool.......Tongue Tied)

• Gold Top Dog

Awwwwwww, She's so aDORable!    So many good vibes for her.  For some reason, I'm thinking Gwen for a name for her.

• Gold Top Dog

What a little cutie. Can see why everyone has gotten so attached. Sending some extra good vibes your way.

• Gold Top Dog
    Poor pup. I think it's valerian root that helps calm their seizures? Maybe that would help, ask Callie. I like Heidi!!
    • Gold Top Dog

ha ha! Splash! I like that name!

Here, I'll do a search just you and ur little girl. BRB...

Back! Here are some dog names and some lines to go with them. I picked the ones I thought might bring her some luck...

• Sunny...She'll bring some real sunshine in to your life.
    • Unity...The state of being one. Harmony.
    • Nugget...Pure gold!
    • Laurel...Single her out as your heroine.

I'll be back if I come up with more!

• Gold Top Dog

Valerian yes -- but Oat Seed would work better on a puppy.  But in this case, could the vet send you home with valium?  It might be warranted in this case.  It comes injectible -- you have to do it in a muscle tho. 

• Gold Top Dog

Valium suppositories would be better - that's a common treatment for owners of epi dogs that cluster badly.  Check with your vet about use with a pup tho.

Oreo went from Cycle food (on par with purina dog chow) to Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice.  I'd go for a single protein food like CA Natural Lamb and Rice to see if it might help. 

• Gold Top Dog

stardog85
    My parents' dog had horrible cluster seizures but a diet change resulted in her needing less medication and being "seizure free" for several years in a row.

If there is a defective blood-brain barrier, diet can be a significant issue.  That barrier is supposed to regulate the amount of chemicals and nutrients that enter the brain.

DogtorJ (Dr. John Symes - vet and epileptic) claims to have eliminated or drastically reduced seizures in idiopathic ("unknown cause";) epileptic dogs by making strict dietary changes (food and treats). He believes that these dogs can not tolerate foods rich in the amino acids glutamate and aspartate (grains, corn, wheat, barley, cow's milk, soy, peanuts, legumes, beans, etc.) possibly because of a brain barrier problem (genetic? viral damage?). See this page: http://dogtorj.tripod.com/id5.html

Here are some epilepsy links.

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com

http://www.canine-epilepsy.net

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/k9epilepsy

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/k9epileptics

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/icepack.htm

Be sure you read the last site about using ice packs to stop seizures. 

Note:  DogtorJ recognizes the benefits of a raw diet, but lists recommended, standard commercial foods because he doesn't think most people will use raw diets.

CAUTION: Be patient.  DogtorJ is anything, but concise.  ;)