Pigs Feet? Chicken Feet? What Weird Things Can Dogs Eat?

• Gold Top Dog

Pigs Feet? Chicken Feet? What Weird Things Can Dogs Eat?

I've seen ox tails, chicken feet, pigs feet and raw beef tripe in the meat department of our store. Can dogs eat these? What other strange things can they eat?

My store never has knuckle or marrow bones so I'm looking for other stuff to give them. Any ideas?

• Gold Top Dog

How about chicken wings? chicken/turkey necks?

I don't know where you live but if you have acces to an asian supermarket, you will find both knuckle and marrow bones.  I drive about 20 miles one way to an asian supermarket to get a marrow bone (with the knuckle still intact) at $0.59 per pound and they will cut the bone to my specification (4-inch for the marrow part and split the knuckle since I use the knuckle to make broth- - also for my lab)

• Silver

Don't feed the "tripe" found in supermarkets. It's not "raw"...it's bleached and devoid of all nutrients.  Raw tripe is not fit for "human consumption" and will never be found in a supermarket or butchershop.  The FDA won't allow it. You can find raw tripe lots of places online though and at most boutique petshops that sell frozen raw.   As for pig feet, chicken feet, ox tails etc.... my dogs go beserk over these as well as chicken and turkey necks, gizzards, hearts, livers, kidney,  wings and lamb rib slabs.

• Gold Top Dog

Agreed - the weirder the better!  Pig snouts, raw steer feet, raw ears, tongue (very expensive) - it's all good.  Be sure you take it slow at first on everything but especially the organ meats - they are rich and some are fairly fatty (brain and heart, for instance - brain is very, very fatty - but it's a extremely good fat and also rich in B vitamins and antioxidants).

• Gold Top Dog

My boys love pig feet and cow feet. I have not tried ox tail and I stay away from chicken only because Hektor does not do well on chicken. I gave him a tiny piece of chicken fat and he had the runs for three days.

• Gold Top Dog

24Pawsnclaws
    Don't feed the "tripe" found in supermarkets.

Thanks!  

Thanks for all the information! This is great!  I do give them chicken wings and legs and necks when the store has them. I would love to find turkey necks again, but haven't seen them in a long time.

24Pawsnclaws
    lamb rib slabs

Do you let them eat the rib bones? Aren't they really hard? Beef rib bones? And gizzards? Oh, boy! My dogs are going to get some treats! I won't over do it, but I like to get them something special when I go to the store and better ox tails and pigs feet than prepackaged doggie sugar, sodium and methyloxytriglycerides. LOL

I'm so ignorant about some of this.   

• Gold Top Dog

Have you talked to the butcher in the meat department? My local grocery sells knuckle bones (labels as "soup bones";) for 39¢ a lb. The last time I was there they didn't have any in the meat case so I asked the employess behind the counter if they had any more soup bones or any other marrow bones for my dog. They said "Sorry. We just gave away the last bag of dog bones a little while ago." GAVE AWAY!!!!!

My last few trips to the store were after the meat department was closed, but you can bet your bottom that next time I see a meat department employee I'm asking for some dog bones!

• Gold Top Dog

I have asked many times and they always said no... Maybe someone else just got to them before I did.  

• Gold Top Dog

24Pawsnclaws

Don't feed the "tripe" found in supermarkets.

And don't leave an open can of tripe in the frig.  Ick!

• Gold Top Dog

LOL, DPU!

A lot depends on the store - if the store has a full-service butcher shop your chances of finding bones are a lot better. The one near my house, for example, has to order the bones alone with the meat, therefore they're fairly expensive and not often in stock (not in high demand). For a store that's butchering whole animals, I would imagine they have quite a bit more of the "bad parts." 

• Gold Top Dog

I second asking. A lot of times they won't advertise it, but butchers will sell bones for, like, a dollar a kilo over here. And I've found that sometimes they only have them on one day of the week and if you don't get in quick enough, they all get snapped up.

Over here, you can buy parts of kangaroo tails for dogs, but Penny's not really into it. I think the bones are a bit tough and pointy for her. She adores pig hocks, though. And hearts. Our old cat started eating again after several months of picking at his food just enough to keep himself alive for a bowl full of chopped heart.

We have found turkey necks to be a bit rough on the digestive systems of our dogs, just as a heads up, and we don't feed chicken necks because they're small enough that the dogs will try swallowing them whole, or minimal chewing. We tend to avoid marrow bones, but only because it hasn't mattered which dogs we've had at the time, but it's always ended in a fight, even when the dogs in question fight over nothing else. But I guess you probably won't have that problem.

Pssst, turkey necks look like giant penises. Embarrassed 

• Gold Top Dog

Chicken feet are always a hit around here:

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

that's so gross its cute Wink

• Gold Top Dog

LOL, Corvus!

Racuda....that pic is....um, well, it kinda freaks me out.  Clearly, I am not ready for raw just yet.  But on the other paw, once I stop being freaked out, it's sort of fascinating......

• Silver

FourIsCompany
    Do you let them eat the rib bones? Aren't they really hard? Beef rib bones? And gizzards? Oh, boy! My dogs are going to get some treats! I won't over do it, but I like to get them something special when I go to the store and better ox tails and pigs feet than prepackaged doggie sugar, sodium and methyloxytriglycerides. LOL

Lamb rib bones are soft. The dogs crunch them up just as easily as turkey necks.  They love gizzards... especially if I boil them until they're a bit soft and mushy. They also like it when I slow roast them in the oven... YUMMMMMMMMMMM !  

Look around town and see if there are any butcher shops.  Around where I live there are plenty of small butcher shops that carry all kinds of great stuff... turkey necks and wings,  chicken feet, pig feet, whole rabbit, goat chunks, liver, gizzards. I buy an occasional slab of beef ribs, they love those. I buy ox tail ONLY if it's on sale for $3.99/lb.  I buy these little chicken necks at the supermarket... they're as big around as your thumb and usually about 6in long. My little dogs just LOVE LOVE them.  Some of the markets in ethnic areas carry a lot of this stuff too.