USDA issues new regulations-JackieG

• Gold Top Dog

USDA issues new regulations-JackieG

If anyone has an opinion feel free to share.  Healthy discussion and debate helps educate.

Below is the AKC's reaction to the USDA's recent ruling that was designed to help eliminate puppy mills.  That's a cause most of us support wholeheartedly. 

There is reason for concern though with laws that are written so broadly they impact hobby breeders.  Overall I think it's a move in the right direction.  I know a few people who breed and co own dogs and they aren't happy with some of the wording.  I understand their concerns too. It seems impossible to write a law that makes everyone happy.  I hope no responsible hobby breeder is impacted negatively.

For instance a person can't sell a dog to someone sight unseen.  That seems to make sense when you consider the fact that puppy mills sell a lot of puppies over the internet.

Then I think about a friend who is buying a Lab puppy from someone without seeing the puppy in person.  She may or may not drive to pick up the puppy. Because of the distance involved the puppy may be delivered by someone else who is closer to the breeder.   The breeder and my friend don't know each other personally.  They do both know mutual people in the Lab world.   My friend has done her research on previous litters produced by this breeder.  The breeder did her research on my friend.  They are both satisfied with the information they've received.  I see no reason this sale should require licensure under the new regulations.

My hope is that the USDA will focus on the puppy mills that make thousands and thousands of dollars off  unsuspecting buyers.  Now if only there were the money in our federal budget to actually enforce the law, we might see less of these unscrupulous people who cause untold suffering to dogs and to many buyers.

The AKC has their own problems trying to inspect thousands of breeders.  Not every AKC licensed breeder is a responsible breeder. 

The old saying "let the buyer beware" is still the most important component of this problem.  People need to do their research before they buy a puppy. 

http://www.akc.org/press_center/article.cfm?article_id=5117

The press release from the USDA.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/newsroom/2013/09/retail_pet_final_rule.shtml

• Gold Top Dog

It's been a long time coming and is very encouraging,  but like you said, budget constraints will make it difficult to enforce. Also, many puppy mills are operated by the Amish. Dogs are livestock to them and they consider puppy mills a good source of income. Would law enforcement be reluctant to interfere with their operations?

As you said, the regulation not allowing a puppy to be bought sight unseen may be problematic for reputable breeders. I have a friend who breeds and shows Bull Mastiffs. She carefully interviews potential buyers and already has homes for the puppies before she breeds the bitch. It's a shame this law may impact  breeders like her.  Time will tell how this works out.

Janice