What happens if my dog barks at a cop?

• Silver

What happens if my dog barks at a cop?

I had this fear slam into my head coming back from agility class a few weeks ago and was reminded of it while reading about trigger-happy cops that blow away innocent pets and ask questions later when they show up at the door for some reason (often the wrong house). I have worried about this off and on since that night, when I saw someone pulled over and realized I was traveling a little on the speedy side myself (agility class is in Versailles, KY; I live in Lexington, KY with some nice openish road in between). My dog barks when someone gets close to the car on foot. I worry, if I ever got pulled over and she barked, what would happen? Would the cop shoot into my back seat to kill a 31 lb loud-mouth? I've been concentrating on driving within the speed limit with her in the car. When I read the stories of cops killing dogs for no good reason, it just scares me to death because my gal can be a loud-mouth at times.
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog
    The cops will not shoot into your car unless you have started to shoot at them. The dog is contained and under control. If you are really worried, transport the dog in a crate. If the dog is controlled, there is no danger.

The stories of cops shooting dogs are news because they are not the normal behavior of cops(in most jurisdictions). Remember, CNN has to fill 24 hours a day with news, so you hear of every incident until your ears bleed.

• Gold Top Dog
    DougB
    The cops will not shoot into your car unless you have started to shoot at them. The dog is contained and under control. If you are really worried, transport the dog in a crate. If the dog is controlled, there is no danger.

The stories of cops shooting dogs are news because they are not the normal behavior of cops(in most jurisdictions). Remember, CNN has to fill 24 hours a day with news, so you hear of every incident until your ears bleed.

I agree with the above. 

• Gold Top Dog

Yep, I agree too.

• Gold Top Dog

I agree with everyone else -- but the GOOD thing is ... it's slowing you down!!

A dog who makes YOU be good is a very very very good dog to have!!

• Gold Top Dog
    One of the good things of living in a small town, cops know me and my dogs. I'm the weird one who stops cops in the street so they can pet my puppy. But I can understand your concern. I also have a loudmouth that rides with me.
    • Gold Top Dog

I thought this was a great video to confirm that not all cops are trigger happy dog haters. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-OFO70Erjg

• Silver
    This is the reason I posted here, I needed to be talked down. Thanks, I have a doggie barrier which prevents Layla from being able to get from the back seat to the front, she can barely even get her nose around to lick my Mom when we pick her up to go to Pet Smart (and she goes totally freak-out wanting to love on my Mom). She's very protective over the vehicle and the house though, all noise though. It just seems to be in her nature. She's my first dog as an adult (a 47 year old adult at that), I guess that's pretty obvious.