Death of a K-9 officer left inside hot vehicle

• Gold Top Dog

I just did a google to see how many other cases like this might turn up and it is very sad how many there are. It looks like K-9 police officers need some very serious training, with regards to leaving and/or forgetting their canine partners in cars. There is a photo at one of the links which shows how the poor dog tore the inside of the car apart trying to get out.... didn't make it. I think he was still alive when they got to him but died on the way to the vets. One of the links said the police officer was on administrative leave while the situation was being investigated. Another said the officer was suspended without pay and no longer able to be a canine handler. Another, it was said, could face administrative penalties as well as criminal charges. There were a couple in the UK as well and I think there was possibly going to be criminal charges in those instances. Of course the news says what possibly may happen, but then we never find out for sure what was done in the end. So very sad and one officer actually tried to commit suicide after his two dogs died. I do feel very bad for the officers, in all of these cases, but just because we feel bad and know that they feel bad, does that justify them not being prosecuted, if it is determined that this was a criminal act they committed. I guess that's the big question, did they actually commit a criminal act and that will be determined by however the law is written.

• Bronze
    JackieG

Pawangel, my experience is that when a person labels a group of people, because of the actions of a few, it tends to offend some people and rightfully so, IMO. 

I know that there are bad cops.  In the cases you cite, you don't address the issue of motive.  What was the intent of the officers when they made tragic mistakes that caused Chevy's death and the incident with the child?  We are all subject to making tragic mistakes.  Mistakes that hurt someone else.  Most law enforcement members are doing a good job under a lot of unique pressures and demands. 

If this K9 officer knowingly left his dog in the car because he was too lazy or whatever, to get the dog out, he should clearly be prosecuted.  I just find it hard to believe that was the case. I just can't come up with a logical motive for the officer to knowingly and intentionally leave his dog in a hot car to die.  I'll give this officer the benefit of the doubt without further information.

I do agree that scrutiny of this incident can hopefully bring increased awareness.   

And I will not try to take away anyone's right to be offended.

As for motive, I think we have already discussed that nobody is saying it was done on purpose. However, it does not mean that it shouldn't be prosecuted. A lot of things that happen by accident are still punishable by law. In either Chevy's case or the incident with the officer leaving a loaded weapon within reach of a child, there's just no excuse for those mistakes. These aren't children we're talking about where an "Oops, I didn't mean it" will do. They are police officers, people who are trained and should know better! Are you telling me that if the child had shot himself, you'd be okay with merely a reprimand for the officer?

People like them should just not be in the department at all. I wouldn't even trust them with a plant.

• Bronze

My position is that causing the death of an animal by abuse or neglect should be punishable as established by law, and it doesn't matter whether that animal is a pet, a stray, or an officer.

What would be the punishment for causing the death of a police officer?
    I'm sure there are plenty of cases out there to serve as examples and guidance. And if I'm not mistaken, they do carry stiffer punishments, but this is where the determination of whether it was intentional does come into play.

• Bronze

Thank you and yes, that's what I've been hearing as well, so it's very disturbing that cases of this nature aren't as isolated as we believed at first. It breaks my heart to think of the desperation and just sheer panic these animals feel during the last hours or minutes of their lives as they're trapped inside those blazing hot vehicles. How would we feel if we had to die in that manner? This is why I just don't accept any excuses for those responsible for their deaths.

I actually did hear from a few people in the UK saying this has happened there as well. Someone else there also knew of a similar case that had been successfully prosecuted (then again, that was the UK) and couldn't believe that our case here was going to go without any charges.

How the law is written can be confusing when those enforcing it and making the determinations are not consistent, and that's one of the problems here, that's part of what is causing outrage and suspicion in my community.

• Gold Top Dog

pawangel75

My position is that causing the death of an animal by abuse or neglect should be punishable as established by law, and it doesn't matter whether that animal is a pet, a stray, or an officer.

Where is the line drawn?  What if someone has a dog that needs $5K surgery to live and that person chooses not to do it, either to euth the dog or let it eventually pass on its own...some people call that "neglect".  What about people whose dogs get hit by cars?  What if my dog dies of bloat during the night (I don't check on my dogs at night unless I have a reason to)?  What if he eats part of his dog bedding and chokes while I'm not there?  Which accidents constitute neglect and which ones don't?

• Gold Top Dog

pawangel75
    Are you telling me that if the child had shot himself, you'd be okay with merely a reprimand for the officer?

That's rather insulting and doesn't deserve an answer.  

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog
    pawangel75
    And I don't think expecting PD to give out information that the public has a right to know is naive, labor union or not.

Assuming a "right to know" exists may not be correct. Police do not comment on ongoing investigations and the officer involved has rights under our laws the same as everybody else. Trying a case in the news media is unfair. The police don't have a duty to talk about cases to the media. If you really want information, use the Freedom of Information Act procedures to get what is available. You will get what you are legally entitled to see, which may not be as much as you think it is.

People do get distracted and accidents do happen. Criminal acts usually have some intent to harm. The legal process takes some time to function, as rights of the alleged perpetrators have to be considered and the process has to be followed to ensure those rights. I don't know the laws in your jurisdiction, but it is possible the powers that be may find that no law was broken and that the only punishment for this act is administrative punishment by the cops employer.

pawangel75
    PD and DA would be saving themselves a lot of grief if they did the right thing and charged him. That would show people AND other officers that they are not above the law.

It is only the right thing if a law was broken. That depends on the law, not public opinion. You appear to have charged, tried and convicted the cop based on what you have read and heard, even though you admit you don't have all the facts. You may be right about him, but I prefer to let the courts work before I reach for the rope and look for a good tree.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Amen, Doug.  Well said.
    • Gold Top Dog

How does your county legally define neglect?

Btw, flinging accusations around like they are facts weakens your believability. For instance, you are accusing them of tossing the dog in the landfill when really you have no idea and aren't even interested in using the means and methods available to you to find out. You would just rather throw that slander out there to add fuel to your fire. Doesn't help your case.

• Bronze

It's not that difficult to figure out; just takes some common sense.

If your pet is sick and you choose to ignore it and not get the animal medical care, I'd say that's neglect. If you've done what you can but the cost of continuing to treat the animal is beyond what you can afford and/or it wouldn't do any good, I'd say it's more of an act of kindness to have the animal euthanized. If your pet gets hit by a car, you have to consider, was it because the animal escaped from a safe enclosure, or because you chose to ignore local law and not have it safely contained? If you knowingly keep your pet running around loose, you should be held responsible. If your pet dies of a disease you didn't know about, or for which he was already being treated, I don't think there's any fault there. If your die pet dies from ingesting something he wasn't supposed to, that would probably be an accident.

You can say it's all a matter of opinion, but really, how do you compare some of these examples to forgetting a dog in a car for hours, or leaving a loaded gun within reach of a child? Really??

• Bronze
    JackieG

pawangel75
    Are you telling me that if the child had shot himself, you'd be okay with merely a reprimand for the officer?

That's rather insulting and doesn't deserve an answer.  

Hey, it was a simple, fair question, just like many of the ones I'm being asked. Should I take offense too and start replying with "It doesn't deserve an answer?"

• Bronze
    You have a right to your opinion, as do the people of this town.
    • Bronze
    Jewlieee

How does your county legally define neglect?

Btw, flinging accusations around like they are facts weakens your believability. For instance, you are accusing them of tossing the dog in the landfill when really you have no idea and aren't even interested in using the means and methods available to you to find out. You would just rather throw that slander out there to add fuel to your fire. Doesn't help your case.

In much the same way the dictionary does.

I did not accuse anyone of tossing Chevy in the landfill, I wondered what they had done with his remains and said that it wouldn't be too shocking if they had. Not the same thing.

As for wanting to add fuel to my fire, trust me, that is not necessary. That fire is well fueled and burning, and not because of me.