Fighting mad over BSL. Is this for real?

• Gold Top Dog

Fighting mad over BSL. Is this for real?

Just had a trip over the New York City housing authority resricted breeds list. I have no idea why I found that in the first place as I am not moving to new york or section-8, but ya find all kinds of things online. It sort of made me laugh (Boston terriers and Bedlington terriers are prohibited... yeah'okay). I understand them being able to pull it because it's more of a condition to living in section-8 housing... just like some apartments and home rental companies choose to not allow particular breeds. But it got me thinking... and it got me looking at city and county laws. I am HORRIFIED. Absolutely horrified- and scared. In laws dog is a Pit Bull/Boxer, my dogs are a GSD and a GSD/Rottweiler. Prime targets for BSL. I do not want to start a pro/anti BSL debate, I am simply wondering this -

Is BSL becoming more common, and where can I find info about my frequented cities and/or counties thinking about passing these laws?

What really freaks me out is looking through the lists many of them say animal control has SOLE AUTHORITY for deciding what the breed of dog is that is in question. Yikes. Any SOLE authority is usually not a good thing to hear...

• Gold Top Dog
    Yes, and no.

Florida actually has a STATE mandate prohibiting BSL for the entire state (minus Miami-Dade, obviously). There was talk about overturning that rule, but it was not passed this past year at election time.

It varies greatly from place to place.
    • Gold Top Dog

It's all over here in MI. It's up to each city / county to pass their own dog ordinances and there are several BSL's on the table right now. Some outright ban certain breeds, some are just trying to make money off certain breed owners - such as, you can have that breed but you will pay an extra $50 per license, something like that. Others are requiring an extra home owners insurance rider. Which I don't get at all. If your dog bites, yep expect to get sued.

• Gold Top Dog

The American Dog Owners Assn. generally fights BSL and keeps updates on where it's prevalent.  I think if I had a bully breed, I'd be very nervous to take my dog on a cross country trip.  You would have to check each and every jurisdiction.

• Bronze

It is not bad around my area but if you go further north it is. I am scared to since a lot of people think Tank could have pit bull in him but he is a   full black Labrador. My  uncle has a rottweiler so he has to look everyday what places are banning them and everything. it is sad and I do not like it. My aunt has a pit bull and he is the sweetest thing ever. I think they should go around doing temperament test on every dog and not just ban a whole breed because of someone stupid.

• Gold Top Dog

In RI, it is by city and several do not allow Pit Bulls and/or add fees to license.  So far, only one city here has banned chows.  Frankly, I'm more upset by the outrageous home owners insurance fees I pay for her to be here.  Shes on "the list" of dangerous breeds.