why can't a dog eat pork?

• Gold Top Dog
    During Kaylas pancreatitis I was told that the main cause was pork fat... went to verify that online and it is in fact the number one cause.  And Kayla  got it after getting into a pile of fat under the grill after a big bar b que.  She most likely already had a sensitive one... but still, I would stay away from the FAT of the pork at least.
    • Gold Top Dog
    You don't want to feed your dog turkey skin either, but that doesn't mean you can't feed turkey.  Yes, you're right, avoid the FAT or overly fat parts of any meat.  Dogs can handle more fat than we do...they get energy from fats, but too much is gonna cause problems.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'd like to add that besides the fat in bacon and fatty pork causing pancreatitis, some dogs have a very hard time with the salt in ham and bacon. Before I knew better, when I was a kid, we gave some ham to our little chi-cross, and she had to pee for HOURS. Very hard on her little kidneys!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Bacon and ham are absolute no nos as more than a VERY rare treat.  Any highly processed meat is.
    • Gold Top Dog
    gosh........your post almost scared me before I click on it to read what was it all about.  I do give JJ pork but usually it's very meaty lean pork and no seasoning.  I think it's ok but I don't give her ham, bacon or etc.