Dog gave birth to dead puppy?

• Gold Top Dog

There are probably more pups in her -- this is virtually a vet emergency.  Upend the doghouse if you need to get her out of there.  Let your father-in-law get bitten if they are dumb enough to have an animal this out of control (it's no wonder -- they won't bond properly if they are left outside and she's out of her mind with grief).

(What the heck are they doing making an outdoor dog out of a 30 pound dog?  *sigh*  I know .. not your fault)

She likely won't eat anything -- you could lace some peanut butter with 2 droppersful of  valerian tincture -- that's still likely not going to 'do' much for a mad momma.

Put on a winter jacket and 2-3 pairs of gloves and snag her, you can make an emergency muzzle with some torn up sheeting or gauze (don't just tie it around the muzzle -- tie it around the back of the head as well or it will just slide off).

Dogs can 'tie' thru chain link -- so she could be pregnant by SEVERAL males -- with other dead pups inside of her.  If they leave her it will rot and she'll die.  As it is she's probably going to need antibiotics.

In short, this isn't something that can wait -- she's literally out of her mind with grief -- throw a heavy blanket over her (but be sure you are wearing protective stuff cos she's not going to take kindly to this.) once you get her out of the doghouse and you may be able to subdue her somewhat that way. 

Yelling won't help -- you may find if you give her a stuffed toy 'baby' it may help (rub the dead pup's body on it -- it may fool her enough to help subdue her to get her to the vet). 

I'm so sorry -- I know this is tough.  But it's crazy to leave unspayed females anywhere near a male.  She could be pregnant before they even know she IS in heat.  The heat cycle stars earlier than bleeding sometimes does (the first part of estrus is 'scent' -- to spread her scent far and wide so males in the vicinity know she's in heat or will soon be receptive - it's nature's way).

• Gold Top Dog

They'll have to open her up to get to the other puppies and most vets would just plain spay her to do that.  MRV's idea of tipping the doghouse into a crate would be the best option. 

Pyometra has to be the worst death a dog can face -- it's a heinous infection, and the longer they wait the more expensive the meds will be.  That may help make their decision. 

• Gold Top Dog

OKay, we'll try.  Thank you everyone, and wish us luck!

The dog house is cemented at the bottom though.  We will figure something out

Sorry I';m back, BF just came in, she's walking around and eating, playing a bit with the other dog, but won't come near us. 
    • Gold Top Dog

**content removed, rude**

• Gold Top Dog

That was quite uncalled for.

• Gold Top Dog

You might contact your vet's office and see if they'll loan you their catch pole (same thing animal control uses). Most clinics do have one and, while they may require a deposit, will loan them out. This will allow you to catch her from a distance.

If they dont' have one, though, I'd throw a heavy blanket (use two if need be) over her. Speed is important, throw it on her and then get control of her head (through the blanket), then grab the rest of the body.

• Gold Top Dog
    If she's out of the dog house, I would try to get everyone in a sort of human wall to funnel her towards a crate. Block her path where she tries to go a different direction. Keep in mind small dogs are *QUICK!* You might need to carry things like brooms to help thwart any efforts to get past you. I wish you lots of luck, sending prayers your way.
    • Gold Top Dog

They don't have any crates.  We can't catch her.  She ate a lot though.  And BF now tells me my weight estimate is wrong, she is about 45lbs.

I don't know how to get a hold of her.  We tried calling around but nothing is open except the evet and they are over an hour drive away

• Gold Top Dog

Try making a slip collar with anything you have, a looped leach or belt... looped so it tightens as she pulls. Then, get all available people and bring heavy comforters outside holding them out with your arms spread out, herd her into a corner and then drop the comforter(s) over her. Once caught, use your slip collar to hold her and get her into a car. I know the e-vet is an hour away but you've got to get her there... she could be in extreme pain due to the possibility of a pup being lodged in her or equally bad, dead inside of her causing serious painful infection.

• Gold Top Dog
    Did you call the evet? What did they say?
    • Gold Top Dog

l.michelle
    We tried calling around but nothing is open except the evet and they are over an hour drive away

IMO, an hour drive is alot better than waiting til tomorrow or monday, when the vet's office opens back up.

Sigh, I know this isn't your dog, and I think it's great that your on here trying to do everything you can. Please I hope you guys' do your best to catch her and get her to the evet. She is probably in alot of pain, especially if there are more pups inside of her.

Since she's walking around, is there anyway you can get close enough to hook a leash onto her collar? Maybe if someone distracted her with a treat or something and someone got on the side or behind her and quickly hooked it on??? Just a thought..

• Gold Top Dog
    Just checking in to see if there were any more updates. Please let us know how things ended up. ((((((((((hugs))))))))))
    • Gold Top Dog

Are his parents trying to help you guys at all? 

I read time and time again in threads just like this how the vet is too far away, we can't do this, we can't do that.  Well, then just leave her there and she might die.  It's so frustrating.

• Gold Top Dog

Did you catch her yet?  Good thoughts are heading your way!

• Gold Top Dog

I had this happend to a cat but she ended up having only one kitten.