Does puppy paw size really tell how large it will grow?

[$provider]
    • Gold Top Dog
    Tasha didn't have big paws at 3 months, she had thick forlegs!!  So (not knowing this then) anytime I see a puppy about that age with thick forlegs, I think, this is going to be a tall dog!  

• Gold Top Dog
    I think it is a very good indicator but definately not a guarantee.  I also think that predicting adult sizeis one thing but it is just ridiculous for a vet to determine the breed by the size of the paws.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I love my vet, but she was really off on the Husky/Chow mix I adopted.
    She told me I would be looking at a 50 to 60 pound dog.....wrong....he is at 75 and is 11.5 months old.
    Another reason why I don't believe in neutering before 8 months of age....they really do grow larger.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I have to say I am loving all these puppy pictures! I do miss knowing what ours looked like as "babies". I've sometimes wondered if they couldn't make age-regression software programs, kind of the opposite of age-progression like they use for missing kids. I would love to see Tookey and Gracie as pups!  
    • Gold Top Dog
    Foot size is why we first thought we might have wolf hybrids.

This is Athena, Sofia's sister. If we hadn't put differently colored collars on them we would have never told them apart.

They grew up to be very much medium-sized, not more than 50 lbs! We were surprised!
    • Gold Top Dog
    I tend to look at wrists or wrists and paws, not just paws alone. More anecdotal evidence anyway.

Paula
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: jeano

Foot size is why we first thought we might have wolf hybrids.

This is Athena, Sofia's sister. If we hadn't put differently colored collars on them we would have never told them apart.

They grew up to be very much medium-sized, not more than 50 lbs! We were surprised!

50 pounds is a pretty big dog.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Fifty pounds isn't a big dog. It's a medium-sized dog, trust me. They actually run more to 40-45 lbs. If they were wolf hybrids they'd be much closer to 100 lbs. Wolves are HUGE.

But looking at Athena and Sofia at that five-six month age (in the pic) it was pretty hard to tell whether they were going to be 100 lbs or 50 lbs.

It turns out that the wildness in their mix was coyote. So now it all makes sense! The pups grew up to be far smaller than a labrador retriever, for instance.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ahh, those aren't big feet. They are practically proportional in size to the puppy. Here are big feet on a 3-month-old puppy.