Is Trifexis safe?

• Puppy

I was looking for information on trifexis after one of my dogs threw up after taking it.

I saw the picture of your dogs and I have to ask what breed is Gabby G. She looks like my Scamp.

Scamp found us when he was five weeks old, starved and with two shotgun pellets in his head. Our vet is sure he is a black and tan hound. He said the breeder disposed of Scamp because he was not sellable since he was born without a tail and had a big white dog bone marking on his chest. The vet said the man probably disposed of the best hunter in the litter all because he did meet the standard. Scamp has proved to be a good hunter, guard dog and just great all around dog. I could not live without him. Gabby G is the first dog I have seen that looks like him.

• Gold Top Dog

evaray
    I saw the picture of your dogs and I have to ask what breed is Gabby G. She looks like my Scamp.

I have no idea what mix of breeds she is, as we found her when she was a young puppy. :) She weighs around 40lbs.  She's a great dogs even if her parentage is murky. :)  She and Scamp would probably be great friends.

• Puppy

JackieG almost sounds like the Trifexis vet who told me that my dog;s death was not their fault.that was a lot of clinical data for a lay-person..hmmm?

Here is our experience with Trifexis, my opinion is that if my dog would not have taken this med she would still be alive.

On July 5th we gave our 5 year old French BulldogMadeline Trifexis after two failed attempts in the months prior where she spit out or vomited out the pill- I wish we would have listen to her message.  That same day she had a seizure foaming at the mouth and convulsing so we took her to the vet at which time he gave her an anti-seizure med and said it was likely a reaction to Trifexis.

We immediately reported this to Trifexis and their Vet was kept up to date on her status and paid for some of her vet visits.  For the next month she would not eat or drink and was wobbily and lethargic.  After a month and some slight improvement our vet began to taper her off of her anti-seizure medication. 

A few days later she had 4 seizures in a 24 hour period.  This was reported to Trifexis at which time they assigned us to a Neurologist in our area who was quick to defend Trifexis.  Over the course of the next two long agonizing months, Madeline had more seizures, has to be fed and water with a dropper and generally got worse and worse, wandering amelessly seemingly blind.  Finally in September after a seizure that left her with two different size pupils which was a sign of brain injury.  After an attempt to treat her with steroids, our vet and the neurologist suggested we put her down. 

Our dog had suffered for 3 months with seizures, no appetite and possible blindness before she ultimately had to be put to sleep.  The Trifexis vet  said that the med “likely uncovered a pre-existing condition” and likened it to a allergy to peanuts which was an insulting analogy.  Our dog was happy and healthy and never showed any signs of brain injury or seizures.  By the time we had her put down, she was only 16lbs, 10lbs lighter than her regular weight, this was the saddest thing I have ever witnessed-my best freind wilting away- the last days her fur was standing up on her back as she was terrified at what was happening to her-through 3 months of hand feeding, trying to comfort her during seizures trying to find a way to make it better I could not fix what this medication had seemingly done to her.

This story is just facts about our experience, my opinion from what I experiences first hand and what I read on the internet is that Madie would still be alive if we would have not given her this drug.  I will not that Madie was on the med range of 20.1-40lbs-she was on the light end of that and I sometimes feel like the dosage teers may be to broad per weight but I am not a chemist.

My heart goes out to all of you who have lost a freind, my heart is broken and I miss her.

• Gold Top Dog

I am so sorry for your loss.  I have a dog who has mini petit mal type activity -- Trifexas isn't something I will use.  I appreciate that you posted this.  It may or may not change anyone's mind ... I admit I tend to be overly cautious about pharmaceuticals.  It's an impossible thing to try and know if your dog is "prone" to seizures when they've never had one.   

When I evaluate a pesticide for use on my dog, I always try to find out "how" the pesticide kills the pest but doesn't do that to the dog.  Therein lies how I make *my* decision.  That's how spinosad kills the flea -- it causes it to seize until it dies.  There just isn't any way to know for sure if that med will have that effect on your dog or not.  That's where I pass.

• Gold Top Dog

sandra_slayton

I have read on different forums of dogs throwing up after taking it, but most have no problme.  I only have one problem with it.  Honey has been on Interceptor and just had her lat pill on the 1st and I hae to get something else befroe June 1.  This will most likely be my choice.

BUT, Honey rarely has a flea.  If we see a flea or she scratches, we give her the Comfortis for fleas.  However, it is only about 3 times a year.  I hate giving it to her via the Trifexis every month when it is not needed.  But I guess until Interceptor comes back, tht will be what she gets ech month.

Sandra, can Honey take Ivermectin?  I've been giving Caleb IverHart Plus since his IC ran out.  It's the generic form of HeartGuard Plus.  Caleb can't have the HG because of the beef flavoring.  IverHart is pork flavored. 

• Gold Top Dog

If the dog can handle Ivermectin you would be FAR better off to buy Ivomec and dose it yourself.  The problem iwth both Iverhart and HeartGuard is they have lowered the dose SO hugely in order to be "ok" for herding dogs, it is failing a lot.  I had a conversation like this with my vet just last week -- my vet is selling it, but is not happy because so many dogs in Florida have turned up positive despite taking the preventive every month.

Ivomec is SO much cheaper (which is why these companies don't want to 'give up' on the ivermectin) -- A bottle of Ivomec is about $50.  Dosed at the Vet PDR dose for heartworm microfilaria that bottle will give heartworm prevention (last time I figured it) for about 14 seventy-five pound dogs for the four year shelf-life and you'll still throw some away. 

The downside is you have to measure it every month with an insulin syringe and squirt it on some food that the dog will eat entirely (like on a piece of bread or similar).  You also won't be under the HeartGuard "warranty". 

But that would then meat treatment with the immiticide which is not fun for the dog (nor owner).  It can be pretty painful -- causes muscle soreness in a big way on some dogs.

• Puppy
    We began using Trifexis approximately one year ago for our two Shelties, mother and daughter, ages 12 and 10 respectively. They were previously taking Heartguard and Frontline for years without any problems. On 10-01-12, the mother died of kidney failure. Yesterday, her daughter died while under the Vets care, of the same thing-kidney failure. Our family is heartbroken! I have no proof that Trifexis caused their deaths but if I had the chance to do it over again I would have kept them on the Heartguard and Frontline.
    • Gold Top Dog

I amso sorry for the deaths of your two dogs.  I know how you feel.  I lost my Golden Retriever, Hunter to the ProHeart6 injection back on Oct. 16, 2003.  He had just turned 4.  Ten months after his death, the FDA had them pull it from the market becaue of all the deaths and horrible reactions.  It was off for almost 4 years being "reformulated", and is back, but they are not pushing it like they did back then.

• Puppy

My heart goes out to you in the loss of your dogs...I have a Collie that has the MDR1 gene and when all this started with Novartis Interceptor I emailed Dr. Katrina Mealey at Washington State University who did the research on MDR1 and she recommended using a heartworm preventive with only one ingredient for Collies...I also asked her about Trifexis and at that time there had been no testing of Trifexis on any herding breeds...Had your Shelties been tested for the MDR1 gene?  It's winter here and I have not given Hope Heartgard, even though I've done a ton of reading and talked to my vets...I know it doesn't matter what season it is but I just can't bring myself to give her insecticide...it remains to be seen what I will do.  My Aussie boys were tested and they don't have the mutation and are on Heartgard with no problems.

• Puppy

I've had my boxer and our little mix mutt on Trifexis for about a year.  I air the tablets out for 30 min before I give it to them (mixed in with a meal) and I've not had ANY problems with it.  No vomiting... no negative anything.  My experience with it has been great.

• Bronze

I don't hear anywhere that Trifexis causes death. So,I think its is safe for dog.

• Bronze

I never heard that Trifexis causes dead for dogs. But if you have any doubt in your mind you can consult with the vet as vet can give you the right answer.

• Bronze

I never heard that Trifexis causes dead to the dog. But if you have confusion in your mind then you should consult with the vet as only vet can give you right answer.

• Bronze

Hi, I have never heard anything like this. It might be a rumor.