Am I a bad dog mom? (kpwlee)

• Gold Top Dog

I must be a horrendous Papillon mom.  Well at least compaired to some of my Pap friends that is.  They'd get to the groomer once every 3 - 4 months with the occassional butt baths.  They really are fairly love maintenance dogs.  Grady gets maybe 2 baths a year and that's not because he stinks it's because I know he LOVES our groomer.  She makes him purr.  And it really is all about what they like, isn't it?? :)

• Gold Top Dog
    I bathe Rascal every 1-2 months, because I don't like to have him on my lap/bed if he smells funky. Also, with him being low to the ground and fuzzy, he picks up a lot of crud in our yard. That said, I just use my own shampoo/conditioner on him. He gets dry skin, I get dry hair, so whatever I'm using on me seems to work very well on him. Of course I rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse to make sure none of it is left on his fur for him to eat, but.... specialized doggie shampoo? Naaaaah. There's not much of him to wash, so I think it would take a while to go through a bottle :)
    • Gold Top Dog

Charlie maybe gets two baths a year.  He honestly doesn't smell at all.  I ask my mom because she's hyper sensitive and she says no.  He doesn't roll in anything, doesn't go swimming in water/lake/ocean, etc.

Don't feel bad Karen, I don't even own dog shampoo.  I just use Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo.  It works and I stick with it.

• Gold Top Dog

My goodness a bottle here lasts 2 baths, if that. 

• Puppy

Hi, I just dropped by to say hi, I have read these conversation and hey I can relate with you.,I often bath my dog.,maybe once or twice a week.,I bought him bottle of shampoo last 2008 and until its still alive.,lol

*link removed by mod*

• Gold Top Dog

I bathe Gypsy and Radar once a week.  I HATE doggy smell and Gypsy gets that way after a week or so. Also she is WHITE (about 80%) so she looks dirty very quickly. Radar gets it just as often since he's allowed on the furniture.

• Puppy
    I have dog shampoo, but most often I just grab the Dawn dish soap! It's cheap, Eco friendly, mild, and always handy-- LOL!
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Most of us with short-coated, very healthy dogs can brag about how seldom we bathe the dogs because dirt just falls off them once it's dried up and flakes off of a healthy coat.

Our DoberBesties had the exact same problem last week - went to wash the dog for Nationals, realized the only dog shampoo was from when she was young, let the dog sniff the "boysenberry" scented black-coat shampoo - the dog recoiled from the perfumey smell.  So she opted to wash her with human shampoo and conditioner and she was shiny and soft. :)

Not a bad dog mom. lol

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog
    :)

perhaps next bath I'll use some manly shampoo on the Beast lol I think once you get used to the ultra-low maintenance coat it would be very hard to go to a higher maintenance coat, at least it would for me!