Yet another vacuum question!

• Gold Top Dog

Yet another vacuum question!

I've searched old posts, honest, but I didn't see anything regarding stick vacs for picking up pet hair.  Joey's tumbleweed fur on the hardwood floors that are all through my house are driving me batty.  Was thinking of getting a stick vac to keep on top of it from day to day.  I've looked through some reviews and get conflicting opinions so thought I would check with other dog owners.

I know Pofi's mom recommends a 3M giant lint roller thing, I've heard mention of the new rubber broom/sweeper things, and there are countless versions of true stick vacs and sweepers.  I've tried using a dust mop type thing and it's useless.  So I'm thinking something that will actually suck up the hair would be better than something that just 'holds' it, like swiffer.  Besides, as often as I would need to use a swiffer, I'd be spending a fortune on the clothes.

Has anyone had success with stick vacs?

• Gold Top Dog

I like mine (Hoover) for daily use in the kitchen, and a bit less often on the hardwood in the hall and tile in the baths.  Yes, it does pick the hair up, but also clogs occasionally...that's an easy fix, though.  And it's better than having hair fly all over just to resettle when you are done!  Well worth the money spent...not good for carpets, though.

• Gold Top Dog

Honestly, I just drag out my regular vacuum everyday during bad season...ei: spring and fall...extending most of the way through summer and winter. Stick out tongue

I hardly ever use my broom.   And a true stick vac would just be trashed in a matter of days here I think.  I know I wouldn't be happy with the results after being used to my vacuum.

• Gold Top Dog

I'm with Candace.  I got a Dyson DC14 Animal for half off ($250) and that's all I use on any floor.  It came with about 6 different attachments that are easy to use.  I'd rather just have a REALLY sweet vacuum and use the appropriate attachments than need a different appliance for each surface. 

• Bronze

I love stick vacs!  I have a Hoover and a Bissell.  Both work well, but I can go a bit longer in between dumping the canister/cleaning the filter on the Hoover.  They pick up pet hair very well and are much less work to whip out than it is to hook up the central vac.

• Silver

I have an Eureka cordless vacuum that I use on my tile floors and I love it. It is not good on rugs though. I don't get much dog hair on my tile floors but with 3 teenagers in and out with a million friends my floors get a little of everything, we get a lot of pine needles being dragged in and it picks them up pretty good.

• Gold Top Dog

I have a Dyson Animal that does a super job on the carpets, but I'm not thrilled with the way it works on the wood floors. That "tumbleweed, fluffy cloud" hair just defies being sucked up by anything - it kind of jumps ahead of the vacuum. If I try to sweep it up, it just tangles in the broom straws and blows away. The only thing I haven't tried is crawling around picking it up ... and guess who's not gonna do that?? Embarrassed

Joyce

• Puppy

This thread may be old but I just want to share my vacuum cleaner experience. I love Hoover Vacuum Cleaner which I was able to read good reviews at http://www.vacuumtop.com/. I've been using it for several months, and now that I'm used to it, it's very simple to use, clean, and carry. Highly recommend.

Several reviewers have commented that it uses a lot of detergent. I've found that it really helps to do the whole floor with plain hot water before adding any detergent at all. Maybe my floors are exceptionally gross, but I can't believe how much dirt I got up with plain water! Used also in cleaning all dirt from my pets.