I give up!!!! YOU tell ME what he is! Breed Guessing Game

• Gold Top Dog

I give up!!!! YOU tell ME what he is! Breed Guessing Game

Ordinarily this wouldn't bother me much, but I swear to doG, EVERY day I've walked Indie for the past 2 weeks, I get people who disagree with me to varying degrees about Indie's stated breed.  It's every single day!  They're not particularly rude about it and I always preface it with "He's just really big, but his parents are border collies."  They usually also say how handsome he is, etc., but it's always with comments about why he can't possibly be all border collie.  Okay, fine.  But oi! it's starting to get old.  I'm tempted to put a sandwich board on him that says "I'm a border collie.... and something else."  LOL!

So, here's his pictures, YOU get to tell me what he is.  Whichever breed combo gets the most votes is going to be my pat answer from now on!  Stick out tongue FYI - 26" at the shoulder, hence the disbelief in his border collie-ness.  And NOT a Pyr, I talked to the breeder, there's not even one on the farm where he was bred and not in the parents.  I'm leaning towards BC/Borzoi mix - LOL!  http://www.akc.org/breeds/borzoi/index.cfm

ETA: Just for S&Gs, I googled borzoi pics and I think I may be on to something!

• Gold Top Dog

Honestly, he looks like a tall BC to me. 

• Gold Top Dog

micksmom

Honestly, he looks like a tall BC to me. 

I know, that's what he IS!  But no one here in Virginia wants to believe me!  LOL!  Crying 

• Gold Top Dog

No one believes Cheza is a border collie because she is short, lol. If they don't believe it I blow them off. People have thought she is cocker spaniel, papillon, etc. lol

• Gold Top Dog

Girl, don't listen to 'em pooh-poohing what you KNOW.  How many 100+ pound purebred Labs are out there but gosh knows that's over the scale or normal for them.  Indy is a handsome BC, end of story.

• Gold Top Dog

He looks like a tall BC to me too. He's very handsome!

Don't worry about the people who try to tell you otherwise - he's your dog and they shouldn't be giving their unwelcome opinions! : P Riley's tall for his breed too - my dad says he's a bit of a freak, lol. But in a good way!

Indie you are a great looking border collie.

• Gold Top Dog

Sorry - all I see is BC.  I think you should tell people you had his legs stretched....and watch them try to work it out.

• Gold Top Dog

LOL!  Well you guys are no help!  Wink  I guess I'll just continue to breathe a deep sigh and keep on replying that he's just a big border collie.  The labradoodle owners never argue with me after he mistakes them for sheep and goes right into control mode!  Big Smile  Since his Mom and Dad were cattle herders, maybe I'll just say he's a Border Cattle Collie and let them work it out.  hehe  Thanks for the compliments, I think he's pretty dashing myself. 

• Gold Top Dog

Looks like a Border Collie to me also. Just a large one rare but there are a few large ones out there.

Chris the Poodle daddy

All doGs make the nicest people

• Gold Top Dog

Tell them he is cattle bred, and they are bigger, lol. You can say it is like field bred and english bred labs. I think most people know that. 

I might start using something like that myself for Cheza. For now I've just been saying she is a puppy (which she is, but she is going to be petite I think). Cheza's growth has slowed down at about 30 lbs (I need to measure), which is still in a fine range of weight for a bc, but not what people expect. We were thinking she would be a lot bigger. Her mother was really tall.

• Bronze

He's very handsome!

If you really want to put an end to it, have his DNA tested.   
    ...... or at least TELL people you've had it tested and he's a pure BC !!!  Devil

• Gold Top Dog

SalemsMom

Tell them he is cattle bred, and they are bigger, lol. You can say it is like field bred and english bred labs. I think most people know that. 

I might start using something like that myself for Cheza. For now I've just been saying she is a puppy (which she is, but she is going to be petite I think). Cheza's growth has slowed down at about 30 lbs (I need to measure), which is still in a fine range of weight for a bc, but not what people expect. We were thinking she would be a lot bigger. Her mother was really tall.

Good idea!  :)  I think that's the problem with BCs and Aussies to a degree.  There's that typical "what people expect" dog and then there's the real dogs which come in loads of varieties and people get confused.  I think I'll try to change my outlook and just view it as helping educate people about what BCs can really look like rather than having them all compare them to what they've seen on tv.

Speaking of which, how many flipping BCs are there on commercials these days!!!  It's getting scary and I worry about the number of people who will fancy them just because they look pretty on tv and don't know anything about them.  But that's another thread... Confused

Thanks again for the tips! 

• Gold Top Dog

BCMixs

Speaking of which, how many flipping BCs are there on commercials these days!!!  It's getting scary and I worry about the number of people who will fancy them just because they look pretty on tv and don't know anything about them.  But that's another thread... Confused

I've noticed it too!! DH said I just noticed because we have a bc, but there have been tons in commercials lately!! I hope people don't go out and buy them because of that. They aren't the breed for everyone, thats for sure.

A few weeks ago on craigs list someone was advertising 2, 20 week old bc pups for sale. The idiot said he bought 3 and couldn't handle them. Confused

• Bronze

nice game