Help! Jack ate a chocolate poptart!

• Gold Top Dog

Help! Jack ate a chocolate poptart!

I shouldnt have left it on the table when i went to pee but I did so its my fault really. How bad is this for his health? He seems ok but do i need to take him to a vet (its 11 pm here)? Or do some sort of first aid? He's playing just like his normal self now. Some back ground... hes a 15 lbs terrierish mix and he ate one whole chocotate poptart. Help please!

• Gold Top Dog

It takes a good amount of pure cocoa to hurt a dog. Do chocolate poptarts have ANY cocoa in them? LOL. They probably have a teeny tiny bit. Nothing to worry about.

http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/DOGS/chocolatetoxic.HTM

So for a dog Jack's size, it would take at least a pound of milk chocolate to poison him.

• Gold Top Dog

I think he's going to be okay, too. I doubt there is very much chocolate in a pop-tart, not REAL chocolate. Plus, it's buffered by a huge amount of dough. I think you can relax.  

• Gold Top Dog

I just thought of one thing: if it was a sugarless pop-tart, be sure to check that there isn't any xylitol in it. If there is then you probably ought to make him barf. But I doubt it does. Still, if it is a sugarless one, do check the ingredients. 

• Gold Top Dog

Do check to make sure it's  not 'sugarless' ... that would be the only worry. 

The excess sugar might cause him to feel yucky but honestly he'll likely be absolutely FINE.  There is so little real 'chocolate' in that it's minimal.  Dark chocolate or 'bitter' baking chocolate -- THOSE are a worry.  But not something like that.

And gee whiz, I didn't realize you were so close!! I'm in Altamonte!  *sigh*  I only WISH I was over there to have lunch at Aunt Catfish's tomorrow!!  Take care!  Callie (from I-Dog)

• Gold Top Dog
    That's my sister Callie! ~L~ Port Orange is like 20 mins. north on I-95 from New Smyrna.

Sis, you're such a space cadet.

• Gold Top Dog

Wow, I guess it's the time of year for small white dogs to feast on things to worry their mamas.  Last Sunday Snickers ate .5 pounds of chocolate covered pretzels.  He was okay.  Okay he was a little extra zippy for a while.  I called poison control about it.  Since he hadn't thrown up or had the runs & was acting his normal nutso self they felt he was going to be okay.  Just in case I kept an eagle eye on him & prepared a bland mix for him in case he had the poopies.  We got lucky.  He's fine.  He just wanted to age me a few more years.

I hope Jack will be okay.

• Gold Top Dog

I think that Jack is on the mend. He had a little diareah this morning (probably more from the sugar than anything else) but now seems to be back to his regular lazy self. Thanks for the advice everyone!!!

• Gold Top Dog

I'm so glad that Jack seems to be on the mend.  Now, where are some pictures of him?  Huh, huh, huh??  Big Smile

• Gold Top Dog

It's not going to be life threatening!  But having said that - still have more care next time!  I heard that the part of chocolate which is dangerous for dogs (theobromine) can stay in the dog's system for a looooong time and build up over time.  So, although he'll be a really quite unlucky pooch if he even gets an upset tummy by it at this point, he still shouldn't have any more!