average birth weight?

• Gold Top Dog

average birth weight?

I'm havign a hard time finding this info on the web- so I'm asking you all. For those of you who have had puppies- what is the breed and average birth weight and/or growth rate? I have some 13 day old, two pound orphans- no idea what the parents were and would like to have some averages for growth expectation, comparison and rough estimation of adult sizes.

Can any of you help?
    Thanks, Amy
    • Gold Top Dog
    The range is huge....

Some Toy breed ;pups weigh only a few ounces, my Beagles were between 6-8ozs at birth, Akitas can be 1-2 lbs at birth.

My pups were around 7-8lbs when they went home at 8 weeks, and the largest is now about 17lbs at 7 months old and around 13 1/2" at the shoulders.

Akitas mature out between 70-115lbs, and stand 23-29" at the shoulder, depending on male or female. At 8 weeks they're generally 18-20lbs or therabout, and tend to gain about 10lbs a month until around 12-18mos when it becomes more slow and steady...with final maturity around 2-3 years of age.
    • Gold Top Dog
    If your babies are 2lbs at 13 days then they were smaller than an Akita to begin with...(I refer to Akitas because they are a breed I know exceedingly well) they were tho...likely a bit larger than my Beagles at birth...puppies will usually double their birthweights in a week. So that could mean they are between a Beagle and an Akita in size, which does not really make things a lot more specific!

As they are likely mixed breed pups, know that once 2-3 or more breeds get mixed together there is a "normalizing" effect which will generally result in a medium sized dog....around 35-40lbs.

As they mature you will be able to perhaps see more in the way of coat and muzzle length, earset etc that can give further clues. Puppies of all breeds look remarkably alike until around 8-10 weeks of age. Think of strays often seen in your area, and that can give you a starting point as to likely breeds in the mix.
    • Gold Top Dog
    wow 2lbs at 13 days? I have 4 6 week old puppies that are barely more than that. So my breed wouldn't help for comparison
    • Puppy

This is an amazing and informative article that covers so much ground.  https://freegamesonline.io