New Puppy!

• Silver

New Puppy!

For those of you who supported us during Shayna's near-fatal bout with IMHA, her subsequent glorious survival for two more years and then her final death from cancer, I am thrilled to be back on this forum with a new puppy! Xuxa arrived almost four weeks ago, has turned our life upside down, and is making us very very happy. Like Shayna (and Shadow before her), Xuxa is also a flat-coated retriever. We got her through a friend who runs FCR rescue here in Southern California but she is actually from Portugal (hence the strange spelling of her Portuguese/Brazilian name). I have all sorts of questions about changes in philosophy re spaying Large Breed Puppies, but that can wait. I just wanted to say Hi! again.

• Gold Top Dog

Congrats to both you and the new puppy.  I understand your loss , having lost 2 furr babies to cancer.  We grasp at anything we might change or do different.   For now, just enjoy having all that bouncing fun in your house  or like in our case.....No ...No...No...No...No  we should have named our new pup, No instead of Garth.

• Silver

Absolutely!  No is a very popular word around here.  We had seriously considered naming her Shiva the Destroyer!

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

I've become a fan of FCRs.  I hope your new puppy defies the odds and lives a long, healthy, full life!

• Silver

Thank you so much.  We're hoping also.  Xuxa has two grandparents who are 11, so at least she has some chance of making it past ten.  Shadow died only 3 weeks shy of 10.  Shayna died weeks after turning 9.  We consider ourselves to have been so lucky to have had them in any case.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Indeed!  Such sweet, willing dogs... I fell in love with some at my club's dog show a few years ago, and every year I get my hands on more and just am captivated by their sweet nature, willingness to work in a variety of sports, and easy companions!  Please share adventures of your Xuxa - I'll be anxious to hear! and see pictures, of course!! :)

• Gold Top Dog
    You really need to tell your pup what you do want him to do. All they get from the word NO is that you are PO'd about something. Try to catch your pup doing something good.
    It's tough to do but do try to eliminate the word NO from your vocabulary. Save it for urgent situations.

n

• Silver

Oh, I praise the good behavior immediately, try to model it, etc etc.  But this little one was the alpha of her litter.  She is VERY used to getting her own way.  Training is much more of a struggle than the previous two.  On the other hand, when the bobcat walked into our house, she didn't hesitate to let it know who was boss (at less than 5 months old!)

• Puppy

Cute dogs!

• Puppy

So lovely dogs. Congratulations.